Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)
Default On the hunt for metal trunnion 90 deg retracts and oleos

Have a Maxford Tempco Swift coming my way this week . Comes with servoless retracts but I don't think they are metal trunnion. I fly off a grass field and it eats plastic trunnion types for breakfast. These retracts as shown in the link below come with a 3mm wire bent 90 deg at the bottom for the axle. The overall length is 142 mm less the 12mm that goes inside the retract itself. http://www.maxfordusa.com/electricretract.aspx

I want to replace the legs with straight oleo struts. I found a pair of alloy 130mm legs on HK but they are on backorder.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Class_2pc.html

I can wait. But the shaft dia. going into the retract is 5mm dia. So I'm looking for a combo and just can't seem to make the connection.

Could I grind down the servo connection shaft to 4mm from 5mm ? Like, mill a flat ? Might have a better chance finding servoless metal trunnions 90 deg retracts with a 4mm hole. Then I could use these oleo's. The plate is your std 35mm x 33mm

Any thoughts?

I can predict like the Sun will rise in the morning that the stock retracts on this plane will fail on grass. It's a balsa/monocoat plane and I hate the thought of the retracts tearing up the wing.

Thanks !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

I love the cool factor of the retracts, but I have given up on them myself. I switched out the retracts on my Starmax A1 Skyraider to metal trunnions after the grass field ate the plastic ones. Then because it is so lumpy bumpy the runway decided the metal trunnions couldn't be broken it would go after the shafts coming from the retract. I gave up on retracts this plane is going up for sale soon.
I would go with fixed gear if you can. I know you don't want to hear this neither did I when the guys at the club told me I would be fixing them constantly. No matter if it was greased in every landing the bumps would destroy them, and I found out the field would wreck em.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Gramps,

I suspect you're right but can only hope. I have several others with retracts that work just okay but it takes constant maintenance. The low profile Art-tech At-6 Texan has held up pretty goog as has the Freewing Mosquito. What I like about the Mossie is that it employs suspension type legs in kind of a box frame. Really absorbs a lot of shock. The FMS P-40 does okay but they are still somewhat fragile. A hard landing will collapse them. Same with the Dynam FW-190. A hard landing will make them pop throught the wing.

I'll keep trying but like you suggested, I may just end up installing some rugged fixed LG like I had on my Escapade.

Cheers,

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

The price we pay for the cool factor.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

You know what 2 choices you have.
Collapsing gear saving the wing pockets.

Or Gorilla strong L G.........L G damage from a bad field & repairing L G support pockets

ORRRRRR

Takeoff on wheels. If OK
Land with wheels up in deep enough grass / weeds. My way to a landing.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

would these HD Metal Retracts work, you may have to make the opening a little bigger. and drill out the holder to 5MM with a #8 drill bit.

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-designed...yg#description

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Club: 114th Grapevine
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (2)

its all moot - when 'dahawk crashes -- errrrrr I mean flies it...

Sorry buddy -- could not resist. This is why I only have one friend.. whomever that is.

Too many hobbies, and not enough time!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by waytooslow View Post
its all moot - when 'dahawk crashes -- errrrrr I mean flies it...

Sorry buddy -- could not resist. This is why I only have one friend.. whomever that is.
2 friends now LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

4mm to 5mm idea video

Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
cyclops2
Super Contributor

How about a little challange to landings ?

A Arresting cable ?

We used to maintain a ball field / runway by dragging old bed spring around the field & our straight landing area. The big U Control circle was also done.

About every 2 weeks or when needed. Was so simple after drying out enough after a rain. No dust.

See. old guys are good for something.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

As an old Navy Guy, this would be attractive. LOL

Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Caution

We used to installal a wire between the arresting hook & a eye screw in the plywood firewall. No beefing up of any plane is needed then.

The arresting cable was made with cut down window sash weights with dogleash snaps to adjust for different size & speed planes. Worked very well after the best pilots landed different planes at HIGHER cross wind, speeds.

We did anything we could think of to fly everyday.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Chellie,

I think the 1400mm FMS would work fine. 1700mm version is too big. Mounting plate won't fit. Don't know what the opening is for the shaft. Is it better to drill out the hole or mill and grind the shaft going into the hole ? Looks like they also sell a 6 second sequencer with these. Pretty cool. Most servoless retracts are simply on/off with a fixed speed.

@WTS, Gee thanks buddy ! I must admit, I have been on a roll lately. What was really funny was while searching in the woods for the Formosa, I came upon my pilot for the AT-6 Texan who had ejected 2 months earlier.

Escapade theft update- Cops called me yesterday to say they've arrested a guy who they think struck the neighborhood and stole my plane, charger,etc. He's in custody but not talking. Turns out he has 5 felony warrants out on him. Yikes. I suggested water-boarding and the cop said: " I only wish !"

Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

yes you have had a run of bad luck of late -- just messing with you . At least you crash less than Bob (our club instructor). Good that they caught a suspect in the theft, just wish you plane was recovered. lets yak before the fly in on Saturday.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Thanks Chellie,

I think the 1400mm FMS would work fine. 1700mm version is too big. Mounting plate won't fit. Don't know what the opening is for the shaft. Is it better to drill out the hole or mill and grind the shaft going into the hole ? Looks like they also sell a 6 second sequencer with these. Pretty cool. Most servoless retracts are simply on/off with a fixed speed.

@WTS, Gee thanks buddy ! I must admit, I have been on a roll lately. What was really funny was while searching in the woods for the Formosa, I came upon my pilot for the AT-6 Texan who had ejected 2 months earlier.

Escapade theft update- Cops called me yesterday to say they've arrested a guy who they think struck the neighborhood and stole my plane, charger,etc. He's in custody but not talking. Turns out he has 5 felony warrants out on him. Yikes. I suggested water-boarding and the cop said: " I only wish !"
Normally the hole for the LG wire/shaft is 4mm. it would be better to drill out the hole that will keep the LG/ wire strong and less likely to bend or break IMHO.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #16
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Chellie,

The 130mm long legs from HK have 12mm pins for a total length of 142mm. These pins are 5mm dia. Pretty big. So, if I can find retracts with a 4mm hole, I can drill it out for 5mm, right? Please say yes ! -Hawk

Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 AM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Thanks Chellie,

The 130mm long legs from HK have 12mm pins for a total length of 142mm. These pins are 5mm dia. Pretty big. So, if I can find retracts with a 4mm hole, I can drill it out for 5mm, right? Please say yes ! -Hawk
Sure you can look at the video on post # 9 the guy is drilling out the LG from 4mm to 5mm

Old 12-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

The 130mm long oleo struts came in from HK on the slow boat. 5mm pin.

Now for some slow acting, 90 deg metal trunnion retracts. I think I can drill out a 4mm pin hole opening to 5mm without a problem but going from a 3mm to a 5mm is a stretch.

EZpartz(Nitro) has some 4mm pin metal trunnion 90 degree retracts for pretty cheap but I was hoping to find a pair that behaved more scale-like, as in, slower. Do these exist? I know the circuitry is such that they all basically work on/off so there's really no way to slow them down. The speed is established through the worm gear.

Any ideas?

Old 12-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

dahawk, you can use a "servo slow" device to slow the retracts down. There are a number of manufacturers/units available. HobbyKing has one, of course:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...FcQDOgodXjUABw
Hobby Lobby/Hobby Express has one: http://www.hobbyexpress.com/servo_sl...18550_prd1.htm
The Turnigy unit is also available on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADJUSTABLE-S...item51b0082bf3

And my favorite are the ones from Dionysius Design, which are small, very lightweight, and simple (plug n' play), and also domesticly produced and sold:
https://www.dionysusdesign.com/

Mark
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Buzz,
Yes, I've seen these. I almost bought one from Grayson but was told they would not work with servoless retracts in slowing them down.. May only delay when they get activated but will not control the speed of the retract motor itself.

I'll study closer but my thought is that they are mainly intended for servos. The electric retracts I'm looking at are servoless. They operate as a switch. On or off.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #21
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

the reduction in volts just before the motor may slow it down. have you tried a resistor before motor, but after control board? Now I have a mission. just need a cheap retract to dissect

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions