Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Speedtorque

Friends: (0)
Default HZ Super Cub ESC rating?

Hi Guys,

I need some advice on something:

I'm building up a vintage model The Kyosho Hyperfly and wish to keep it reasonably original, but due to NiCd not really being available I am going to have to go with a LiPo and ESC with cut off. The original ran a 6cell NiCd 1100mah switched to the motor directly which was a Kyosho AP29L a 480 high speed brushed unit (4900KV I'm told!).

I realised that I had the all in one board from the Hobby Zone Super Cub LP and wondered is this could work?

It has a brushed ESC for a 480 sized motor which is about right, but I don't know the Amp rating? That said, it will be run at full throttle all the time.

Works with LiPo, but a 3 cell rather than the 6 cell NiCd. Could it work with 2 cell LiPo?

Could the BEC cope with running 2 standard size servos or would I need smaller units?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just looking for a suitable way to get this thing up in the air. It would be nice to fly it as original as possible, but if I have to go brushless, then so be it...
Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

There is no mfgr's rating for the Super Cub's ESC. People have tested it to failure and that is consistently about 13 amps. They don't hold up to 3 cell lipo.

No idea about the BEC's max safe load.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Just make sure if you buy a new esc to get a "brushed" version. They are becoming a rarity these days. I might still have my 18 amp Castle brushed esc if you want it. I'll sell it for the cost of shipping/postage. Will fit inside an envelope. Send a PM if interested.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 11-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Speedtorque

Thanks for the help, I think it might be easier to go brushless, I found a 2848 inrunner 2200kv and a 40a esc in my bits box, that should do it. I just worry that my RPM will be hugely different with this setup.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

I would definitely get a better esc but mine pulls 20 amps on 3 cells with the stock motor and prop and has survived many dozens of flights.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Speedtorque

I looked on Hobby King's wibsite today and tried to fit in the existing parts I have. One thing I know is that the stardard setup works, or I'm told it does. So I have loads of receivers kicking around and HK were selling a 30A brushed ESC with 1A BEC for 7 which gives me a much safer margin. So I ordered some bits that will make the heli run like stardard apart from the 2 cell LiPo instead of 6 cell NiCd and an ESC rather than a whisker switch.
I'm looking forward to flying this machine now, but I'm still reasonably novice and am worried that I will crash it!
Thanks for all the help, I'll keep us posted on my progress and I'll find something to put that supercub board into!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems