Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Forced air cooling

Ok - who thinks I'm bored ?

I'm sitting here with a barge playing games and making my work a pain !! And thinking ... my EDF's usually run too hot - the batterys / ESC's that is.

So I'm thinking to myself is there any way to increase cooling ? I've added cheat holes ... placed ESC in the ducts etc.

So here's the question :

Has anyone ever taken a PC processor fan and installed to force air into the battery / ESC area ? Small, low power ... a 2nd uBEC could supply the small amount needed ? This is on any type pf model - not just EDF or Pushers ... I have prop planes that are hard on batts / ESC's as well.

I know ... daft sod !!

But maybe not so daft an idea ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

View Wrench66's Gallery33
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flier's
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (20)

Leave those ducted fans to the maniacally rich, Nigel......for the electrons wasted as heat in the batts, motors and esc's you could be flying two more prop planes!
God those hair dryers are hard on everything, including the wallet...LOL. I like jets but I just run a little prop on the rear and enjoy

Just sayin'
--Ray

Man, gravity is ALWAYS wanting something from me
Old 11-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

True Wrench66 ... but I'm actually asking in terms of any model .. I have prop jobs that run hard on LiPo's / ESC as well....

Maybe I should have made that more clear ... I'll go back and amend OP.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

There have been some who have successfully used fans to cool the ESCs and/or batteries.

I heard of one case where a LARGE prop plane used a small EDF as its fan for cooling the ESC and batteries.

Another option is to create a bypass duct to bleed air from the EDF to do the cooling.

Then there's the option of using air scoops.

Lots of options...
Old 11-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Cool..._p/tra3340.htm

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...PM-Cooling-Fan

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

Friends: (0)

Methods for cooling controllers
www.mgm-compro.com
-> tech.info
-> controllers COOLING in models [pdf, 166 kB]

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...=cooling%20fan

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...=cooling%20fan

type in cooling fan in the HK search, they have a bunch of cooling fans and different sizes too

Old 11-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
rreid7

Club: AMA #987422
Friends: (0)

Or you can keep things simple and add a heat sink to your ESC and let the air flow while flying be your fan. Model Aero sells one that works very well:

http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merch...tegory_Code=SC

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	171949 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	171950

Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Ok - who thinks I'm bored ?

I'm sitting here with a barge playing games and making my work a pain !! And thinking ... my EDF's usually run too hot - the batterys / ESC's that is.

So I'm thinking to myself is there any way to increase cooling ? I've added cheat holes ... placed ESC in the ducts etc.

So here's the question :

Has anyone ever taken a PC processor fan and installed to force air into the battery / ESC area ? Small, low power ... a 2nd uBEC could supply the small amount needed ? This is on any type pf model - not just EDF or Pushers ... I have prop planes that are hard on batts / ESC's as well.

I know ... daft sod !!

But maybe not so daft an idea ?

Nigel
Quality ESC's such as the Castle Creations and similar units specify their ratings are based on a 5 MPH breeze blowing past their units. That's probably what a small fan would do. But I don't know just how well that fan would work if it is trying to pull in air that is moving at 60 MPH past the outside of the model. That question would be in the territory of someone with experience in this sort of fluid dynamics.

It's interesting, Castle Creations larger ESC's all have heat sinks on them. Must be a reason. Also interesting, the 20 Amp CC switching BEC also has a fan on it. Again, must be a reason. Methinks for a fan to be effective, it must bolted to, and have the air ducted around the ESC to cool it, much like those computer fans that are mounted directly to the microprocessor in your computer.

One way to obtain real data would be to use an ESC with data recording, again such as the Castle Creations units. The ICE and Talon series also record ESC temperature. So, it would appear to be a simple process to set up a model with, and without a fan, and see what happens in the recorded data.

If you do it, it would be quite interesting for the rest of us!

Take a look at the attached JPG from the Castle Creations 80 Amp HV ESC used in my Redwing MXSR model, flying a Hacker A60-5S motor, 12S2P A123's, and a 19X12 APC-E prop. Its showing only the current, and temperature, all other graph's are turned off. Maximum current pulled is just over 80 Amps, maximum temperature was 100.7 degrees F. This ESC is mounted in line behind one of the air inlets on the fiberglass cowling of the model.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72225

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amps and Temps.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	171961  

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems