Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Tsavah
Watt Waster

View Tsavah's Gallery4
Club: LAFFS, but ...
Friends: (5)
Default How to Post Albums and Pictures

I am having trouble finding the reason why I cannot make albums in my user account, or get pictures to post after downloading. I think I have one so far and have no idea what happened to the others. Very confusing and to boot, any search I do tends to not return any results. Hopefully this will generate some guidance for me and others having the same problems.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

If Pictures are to large, you wont be able to post them here, you need to resize pictures, normally a pic thats 1000 pix by 800 pixs seems to work well on Wattfllyers. Also check your malware programs, if they are set to high, or if cookies are turned off, that may be giving you your problems, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.nchsoftware.com/photoedit...Fcxufgodr0UAoA

http://www.picresize.com/

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
If Pictures are to large, you wont be able to post them here, you need to resize pictures, normally a pic thats 1000 pix by 800 pixs seems to work well on Wattfllyers. Also check your malware programs, if they are set to high, or if cookies are turned off, that may be giving you your problems, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.nchsoftware.com/photoedit...Fcxufgodr0UAoA

http://www.picresize.com/
Another very good photo viewer/editing program is www.faststone.org. The top program "faststone image viewer" is a free program I've been using for many years.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Tsavah
Watt Waster

View Tsavah's Gallery4
Default How to Post ...

Thanks for the input and links. I will look into the suggested links and see what I can learn. I hope to be able to post some of my past experiments and model pictures just in case others might be looking for the ideas, or projects.

The issue I am having seems to be the size of the file. I am guessing that means I need to "resize" the picture (.JPEG) file as suggested, but the paint programs I have also have the resize option. I will assume that means all resize options in the various paint, or picture modifying programs do the same thing. Am I correct, and this is the way to reduce the picture's file size? Or is there a simpler way to do this?
Old 11-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

The answer you are most likely going to get is NO. Not every photo or image handling program works the same or acts the same.

Re-sizing can mean several different things. There is the physical optical (pixel) size alluded to by Chellie. The "standard" sizes being, 640 X 480, 800 X 600, and 1024 X 768 in "pixels".

Then there is ALSO the actual file size, usually referred to in "k". This has to do with not only the pixel size but also the amount of information stored within the file, number of colors used in the file, and also the compression ratio of the file type and the particular program using it.

All of these "factors" can influence the quality of a saved photo.

Another thing to consider is that the particular program you use to "edit" your photos may not have specific settings for each function, so... settings for compression and saving a file may be "global" to that program and effect all of your photos every time you load one, unless you change the settings each time.

The links provided by Chellie and kyleservicetech are for FREE programs that perform the resize function easily and quickly AND free.

I use the FSR resizer to do mine - it will resize a 3000 X 2000 pixel 3.5mb photo from my DSLR down to 1024 X 768 and less than 300k (a megabyte is equal to 1024k). Quite a huge difference in SIZE but the quality of the photo for web display is almost unchanged.

Totally up to you for how you want to handle your files.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 11-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Tsavah
Watt Waster

View Tsavah's Gallery4
Default Losing some Pixels

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
The answer you are most likely going to get is NO. Not every photo or image handling program works the same or acts the same. Re-sizing can mean several different things. There is the physical optical (pixel) size alluded to by Chellie. The "standard" sizes being, 640 X 480, 800 X 600, and 1024 X 768 in "pixels". ... Totally up to you for how you want to handle your files. Hillbille
OK, most of what you said makes sense, but then again, the only way I can figure out how to tell the file has less in it is to see if the program will tell me the KB, or MB size of the picture file. Normally that means I need to put the cursor on the picture and wait for the file details to show. Sometimes I see a change in file size and sometimes I don't after I have resized the picture a few times. At this point I am using MS Paint to play around with the photographs I take and upload to my computer. For all I know the video camera has an option I should use to keep the picture files smaller from the get-go.

My other problem has to do with albums I started a while ago. I can see the old pictures, but I cannot add pictures to the album. Have any idea why the album doesn't offer the option to add pictures?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
OK, most of what you said makes sense, but then again, the only way I can figure out how to tell the file has less in it is to see if the program will tell me the KB, or MB size of the picture file. Normally that means I need to put the cursor on the picture and wait for the file details to show. Sometimes I see a change in file size and sometimes I don't after I have resized the picture a few times. At this point I am using MS Paint to play around with the photographs I take and upload to my computer. For all I know the video camera has an option I should use to keep the picture files smaller from the get-go.
Tsavah - I don't know how you have your file system set up on your computer - and for that matter what TYPE computer you have (Windows - or MAC?)

Did you create a folder on your hard drive to put the photos into or do you just upload them to the desktop? (I am speaking of a Windows machine here - never owned a MAC.)

If you "upload" your photographs into a specific folder on your hard drive then open the folder and place the mouse cursor on the file you want info for. Right click your mouse and when the dialog box opens look to the bottom of the box and select "Properties" and click on that. That will open another dialog box that has a LOT of information about the file.

If all you want is the "k" size of a file just place your cursor on the file and single click it. Usually - USUALLY - the file info will be displayed at the bottom of the open folder window. USUALLY - but not everyone has their file system set to display information - SO - it may not and if it doesn't then do what I suggested in the above paragraph as it WILL work.

MS Paint is NOT a very good photo editing program at all. It is VERY basic, although easy to use it just does not have a lot of features for enhancing photographs.

Try going here:

http://www.gimp.org/

It's free - and very powerful - and most importantly - it's FREE! It is a very good EDITOR for photos that will allow you to do quite a lot of things with photos - WARNING - it is a HUGE time consumer!! LOL!! You can kill a couple of hours just "playing" around with photos. I strongly suggest you make a temp folder and put a couple of photos in there to "play" with first before you tackle your good ones. It allows you to brighten, darken, change contrast, gamma and alter the photo quite a bit so... play with it some before trying anything on an irreplaceable photo - and then only on a COPY!

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 11-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post

My other problem has to do with albums I started a while ago. I can see the old pictures, but I cannot add pictures to the album. Have any idea why the album doesn't offer the option to add pictures?

I don't know much about the "album" feature on Wattflyer - but I believe the "albums" are limited to 24 entries each. As you add a new photo - one of the others is overwritten and displaced - or the new upload is NOT displayed.

Been too long since I tried to fool around with them. LOL!!

I think this is correct - but I am not sure so as far as the "album" problem you'll probably need someone other than me to help you out.

Hillbille

AMA884978
Old 11-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Tsavah
Watt Waster

View Tsavah's Gallery4
Default How to ... Albums and Pictures

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
... what TYPE computer you have (Windows - or MAC?) PC

Did you create a folder on your hard drive to put the photos into or ... Make folders according to subject, or like theme.

If you "upload" your photographs into a specific folder ... information about the file. ... MS Paint is NOT a very good photo editing program at all. It is VERY basic, although easy to use it just does not have a lot of features for enhancing photographs. True and that is probably why I like it -easy.

Try going here:

http://www.gimp.org/

It's free - and very powerful - and most importantly - it's FREE! It is a very good EDITOR for photos ... make a temp folder and put a couple of photos in there to "play" with first before you tackle your good ones. ... Hillbille
Thanks for the advice and ideas. I do have other photograph and video manipulation programs that can do a lot of things, but since I often would rather not get too fancy, I have yet to do much with them. I am not a young guy anymore, so my curiousity seems to have limits. I get frustrated and bored a lot quicker than I use to. Even so, I would like to learn how to get around the file size issue and share more photographs and ideas. As to the album size, I don't have anywhere near 20 photos posted in one yet, but I also don't have control to post more. Maybe I need to pay someone money first and change my membership from free?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

As long as this thread is here, I'd like to say that I haven't been able to post a photo for over a year. It's not that I don't know how, it's that it just flat won't work for me anymore.

I select the file to upload, enter the description and whatnot, hit the upload button and ... I go to a blank page (http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/uploadphoto.php). It sits there forever and nothing further ever happens.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Let me check on mine. The problem I have is that I RARELY upload a photo here. I have my own website where I upload and display photos so I just "link" to them. Let me try an upload.

Hillbille

AMA884978
Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I've not posted to the "Galleries" in Wattflyer before - I don't think. I have posted into my own "blog" or user area and I AM LIMITED to just 20 photos there - if I want to upload a "new" one I must delete an old one first to make room. (See the first attachment)

The "Galleries" area says I have unlimited space to upload photos.

I have not tried to create or upload to an album yet though. (At least I don't remember doing it!)

I guess I should try iy though and see if that is also a problem for me too.

Hillbille

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watt_2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	172130
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watt_1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	172131

AMA884978
Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Tsavah
Watt Waster

View Tsavah's Gallery4
Default Posting Pictures

I think I was able to post a few more pictures, but for some reason only one has showed so far out of three. I tried reposting two, but so far I don't see them in my album. Wondering if there is a bug in the works, or there is a limit of one a week? I do get the smaller the file size the better, or it won't go.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
account , album , download , picture , search