Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)
Default snap,crackle and smoke....another battery gone.

once again the 4 prong garden rake poked another damaged lipo. PUFF!!

i'll never understand how folks can stand having puffed lipos in there storage or flight box. last night i found one of my 4cell 4000mah 40c lipos slightly puffed. all these are new batteries but this one went down hard in the 540t edge and got damaged.i taped it after peeling the shrink wrap back to examine the damage and thought it was ok. last night i had it parallel charging with three other same size packs but the charger was in safety mode. so i checked them all and this bad pack had a damaged #2cell.

i thought i would bring all the cells down and charge it slowly,ran it on a bench motor and found #2 cell dead...........what to do

i know! pop this baby at night! she was warm from having run on the bench and even more puffed. i took a four prong rake with sharp points and whacked it hard........thats the part where pressure released with a sharp snap!! then instant smoke and a crackling hissing sound along with a orange glow that traveled the length of the pack.i could tell there wasn't any wind as the cloud of smoke just hung around.

man,I'm glad it's gone the way of many old packs and isn't sitting in my storage cabinet with my other lipo's. if lipos puff,it means the foil type wrap of the cells are expanded and a possible seam break could follow at any time...how do folks sleep at night if their puffed lipos aren't stored in a fire/smoke proof area.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

I'm with you, any significant puffing means it goes in the trash. Thing is that puffing doesn't happen by itself, it indicates that the battery is seriously compromised and usually it's not usable (in my applications) by that point anyway.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

+372

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 12-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I have a few very slightly puffed lipos. All cells still showing proper voltage and balance. Not enough to get my bowels in an uproar. When they get to far out of whack, they're useless to me anyway. Keep them stored in an ammo container.

I have experienced a lipo fire at the field and witnessed a few others. I had a situation when the shock load from landing one of little skyangels forced the lipo into the motor shaft penetrating the packaging. Not a pretty site. A lot of pressure builds up in these batteries.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

It's not the ability to charge and balance to full voltage that usually spells the end for a LiPo. Usually its increasing internal resistance that does it. It quickly gets to the point where voltage is sagging so much as to hit LVC prematurely. By the time I notice any swelling I've usually already noticed performance dropping away.

I've yet to find a LiPo that showed any significant swelling and still performed ok in terms of voltage sag.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers