Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
Richard8971
Glo no mo'

Friends: (0)
Default Futaba trainer cord problems...

Help! I have a Futaba T6XAs and cannot seem to get my trainer cord to work. My student radio is a Conquest 6 channel PCM radio. I also cannot get it to work with my Conquest FM 6 channel radio. I tried using my T6XA as the student radio but get a 'low battery' alarm when trying to do so. If I use my T6XA as the student radio with my PCM radio (in PCM mode) it will work but my T6XA beeps with a 'low battery' alarm. I have looked and tried everything and even checked the cord and all wires are intact with a tester.

Any ideas? Anything to try? Thanks for any advice...
Old 03-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Richard8971
Glo no mo'

Well I took a hunch and charged my batts based on the 'low batt' alarm. So far using my Conquest 6 channel PCM as the master and T6XAs as a trainer (in PCM mode) it works.

Not the way I wanted to run it but I can live with it.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

The way the trainer system works the slave always has to be PPM or at least in PPM mode. So that's certainly one problem.

And it's normal (with Futaba) for the slave to run from the master TX's battery which is why the master always needs a fully charged battery.

Other than that I got a bit confused over what exactly you're still trying to achieve .

Steve
Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Richard8971
Glo no mo'

Well, I wanted to use my T6XA as a master radio and my PCM conquest as a training box. Now it's the other way around. No worries. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
edray999
Eric R

Club: AMA, BARKS
Default Futaba Buddy Trainer Cord Kinks

I bought a Futaba buddy cord and used it successfully with two t6xas xmtrs. I then lost that cord (sadly) and bought one from Hobby Partz (I think). It cost about $2.50 which was 6 times cheaper than the original. "Cool", thought I until I tried to use the cheepie. It didn't work so I figured I broke the control pushbutton switch. I opened the xmtr and went to work tracing around, etc. I "broke" the transmitter similarly to Richard8971 in that the power was all wrong - low reading. The display read 2 volts low but I knew the battery was good - charged. I didn't fly that xmtr although it "worked" functionally and all. Sad. I then bought two more t6xa's online and hoped for the best No change.

So I borrowed the club's futaba cord to ohm out the pin-to-pin contacts. Surprise! The original has two pins which cross. The cheapie doesn't cross those pins but it fits the socket. I did surgery and crossed the pins (difficult task) and the cord works.

Next, I started cutting 12v traces in my t6xa to isolate the overloaded line and found that each cut pc board trace helped, a little. The problem is that a 3 pin diode isolates the battery from the control and RF sections and I had weakened it (not quite burnt out) so any current to the circuits would drop the voltage. I soldered a low power diode (NOT small signal) in place and the transmitter is as good as new - programs all saved.

Anybody wants the specific info on the cord or the diode in question just email me. edray999
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
A.T.

Club: To many to include.

Best Trainer cord diagrams available at:
. TX 2 TX = buddy box compatibility problems between different brands of transmitters ***
with more Futaba specific links:
. Futaba AM to Futaba FM Trainer Cord
. Futaba/Hitec to JR/GWS trainer lead
. Futaba - 8FG & 12FG Trainer Cord & FAQ
. Futaba - 9C set up with T-4YF & other TX
. Futaba - Never connect T6EX 2.4 Ghz trainer system with Futaba/Hitec TX which have DIN connection
. Futaba - Not all Futaba Slave/Buddy with another Futaba - Three different cable types.
. Futaba - Micro Square Plug for DIY Buddy/Trainer & Simulator Leads
. Futaba - Futaba Buddy Box FUTM4376 with other Computerised Tx e.g. A9
. Trainer - Buddy Cord Warning: Use only Hitec One Way Cord between Futaba & Hitec TX - never a Futaba cable
Much more information available under sub section
"Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes, Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
edray999
Eric R

Club: AMA, BARKS
Default Trainer Cord Diagrams

Thanks Alan!

Eric

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros