Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)
Default Old 27mhz radios

Are they at all desirable anymore?

I have and old Futaba 4 channel radio with the original box and servos.

I know it is outdated but it is going to waste and has never been used.

Does anyone still buy these things?

my bad, meant to say 72 mhz
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

Of course they still work as well as ever they did, but realistically you would be hard pushed to sell it for any worthwhile sum.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Here is a pic of it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130425_183701.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	168098
Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

wonder what a fair price would be
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,989 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
wonder what a fair price would be
Post it on EBay, Its good enough for a beginer, start out at $20.00 and see if you get any Takers, Hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

There is a brand new one (later model i think), tx only, going for $9.99 on fleabay with an hour to go on the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-FU...item3381834fab

Realistically I think if you listed it you would have to start at no more than $10. bare in mind that you can get a brand new 6 channel 2.4Ghz Tx and rx for $23 these days.

give it an hour and see what the Tx goes for, it may bring more than i expected.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
There is a brand new one (later model i think) going for $9.99 on fleabay with an hour to go on the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-FU...item3381834fab
Hi, I belive thats just a Buddy Box and not a Transmitter for $9.99, $20.00 for a old transmitter, receiver and servos is a good start asking price.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Quite right Chellie, my mistake. never realised you could get a tx that was only a buddy box!

IMHO it's always best to start low on ebay anyway, it gets the interest going.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

found another couple on ebay, 'proper' Tx's this timne:

Tx only, $15 starting bid, no bidders, 23 hours to go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skysport-fut...item19db7894e7

Tx only, $6 but still six days to go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUTABA-SKYSP...item2a2c29bb6d

Guess if you see what they bring it will give you some idea what yours might fetch?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Sell the servos... they are worth more separately than with the TX and RX.

The TX and RX are really not worth the cost of shipping.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Sell the servos... they are worth more separately than with the TX and RX.

That's a good call. Selling it all together will put off the guys who just want the servos due to increased shipping of the large package.

Servos don't go out of fashion in the same way as old 'Mhz' transmitters have.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
NEW222

Friends: (0)

Depending on what you have for time, may also want to try selling the transmitter and charger together, servos as a group, and receiver separately. I sold not too long ago a VERY well used Skysport 4 with receiver, no servos and switch with a non working battery for $25 plus shipping I believe.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #13
NEW222

Forgot to mention, I still like and use my Conquest 4 channel that is older than your Skysport, despite having a Dx5e and Dx6i.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
fhhuber
Super Contributor

72 mhz still works... no reason to not use it. Its still legal to use.

It simply has no real value on the market.

I still have a couple of 72 mhz radios. They work fine.
I've moved almost all of my models to 2.4 ghz because its more reliable.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

personally, I'm getting pretty fed up with 2.4 ghz.

I flew my "new" ultra stick. range checked fine, (over 30 paces). took it up, started to trim it and heard the motor cut out. concerned, I tried to bring it back around with no response. got a couple of random responses, including full throttle and locked aleroins. it ended up trimmed beautifully as I watched it fly away inverted up and over the hill. found the plane in one piece right side up with a broken wing mount. range checked again and no servos after 10 paces. I had close two minutes of limited control before it went it.

deciding to not risk another plane to a glitch radio/receiver, i went down to the hobby shop and bought a brand new dx6i. bound my new slowstick to it and went out to fly. range checked about 20 paces in the driveway, threw the prop on and drove crossed the street to the park. paranoid, I range checked it again put it up. 2-3 mistakes high, I started hovering the plane at 1/2 throttle . (peak of 19.5 amps, 40 amp hurc esc). just as if someone hit a light switch, motor shut off. no servos response. stall and nose dive straight into the ground. battery started smoking before I could range check it again.
watched my first lip fire.

different esc, speed control, radio, location, battery and receiver. 0 for 2, $75 replacement wing, new receiver coming, $40 e flight 2200 3 cell , motor mount, wing mount, fuse, and one of our custom battery boxes.

after losing $3-400 in 4 days due to radio loss on spectrums "bullet proof interference free" system. I'm having a hard time justifying NOT just buying a $15 fm radio for each plane.

both planes were proven setups on proven equipment (minus the new dx6i on the slowstick).
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

There are a many of things that could have caused those crashes. Servos going bad, ESC problem, BEC issue, bad connections, almost anything.

it seems to me to be a huge leap to conclude it's a fault with Spektrum, i just dont see any evidence to make that conclusion? The fact that it worked fine when you tested it before and after the crash points strongly away from it being a radio problem.

Personally I've been using Speky for a few years and never had any problem whatsoever. the only time i lost control was due to a servo failing and shorting out the BEC. I also didnt have any problem with the Futaba (and other) MHz gear I used for many years previously.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post

I flew my "new" ultra stick. range checked fine, (over 30 paces). took it up, started to trim it and heard the motor cut out. concerned, I tried to bring it back around with no response. got a couple of random responses, including full throttle and locked aleroins. it ended up trimmed beautifully as I watched it fly away inverted up and over the hill. found the plane in one piece right side up with a broken wing mount. range checked again and no servos after 10 paces. I had close two minutes of limited control before it went it.

deciding to not risk another plane to a glitch radio/receiver, i went down to the hobby shop and bought a brand new dx6i. bound my new slowstick to it and went out to fly. range checked about 20 paces in the driveway, threw the prop on and drove crossed the street to the park. paranoid, I range checked it again put it up. 2-3 mistakes high, I started hovering the plane at 1/2 throttle . (peak of 19.5 amps, 40 amp hurc esc). just as if someone hit a light switch, motor shut off. no servos response. stall and nose dive straight into the ground. battery started smoking before I could range check it again.

different esc, speed control, radio, location, battery and receiver. 0 for 2, $75 replacement wing, new receiver coming, $40 e flight 2200 3 cell , motor mount, wing mount, fuse, and one of our custom battery boxes.

after losing $3-400 in 4 days due to radio loss on spectrums "bullet proof interference free" system. I'm having a hard time justifying NOT just buying a $15 fm radio for each plane.

both planes were proven setups on proven equipment (minus the new dx6i on the slowstick).
There are a few things that you have to Know about 2.4.
beginners with a 2.4 radio from what i have read, crash more with 2.4 because they dont know the Weak Spots with a 2.4 system, Masking and Brown outs.
I had a Dx6i 2.4 radio system, I went back to 72MHZ, JR Radio with a BERG receiver, No more brown outs and Crashed planes for me Due to 2.4 Radio Problems. and i cant afford the expensive spectrum 2.4 full range receivers.

1st. always use a ubec to prevent a brown out due to low voltage.
2nd. always use a full range 2.4 receiver, non full range receivers are prone to Masking.
3.rd. use a battery with more mah and R rating than you really need for keep alive voltage. then you might be ok with a 2.4 radio system IMHO

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

If you don't sell your Futaba tx,you could always convert it to Frsky with an internal module.They have a very good reputation,and their rx's are quite cheap.
I did my old 5NH that way,and it's perfect.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
and I cant afford the expensive spectrum 2.4 full range receivers.
Expensive i dont think RC gear has ever been so cheap. for instance:
  • Full range Orange brand DSM2 rx is $13
  • Satellite to add additional assurance is another $10

Doesn't come much cheaper than that. your Berg receiver and a crystal or two would have been over twice that price when new.

IMHO the 'Brown-out' is somewhat unfairly blamed on 2.4GHz. ANY radio will fail if the supply voltage drops too far. I think one of the main reasons why it gets blamed on 2.4GHz (and Spektrum in particular) is that 2.4GHz (and Spektrum) came in about the same time as electric power became very popular. Prior to the electric (and 2.4GHz) 'revolution' we were mainly flying i.c. power which always used a dedicated battery to power the radio gear. When electric became popular the dedicated battery was generally ditched and we started using crappy linear BEC s built into the ESC. i think that it's the crappy BEC that is the biggest cause of brown-out, not 2.4GHz. (yeah i know 2.4GHz can take longer to re-start after shutting down)

Acid test....Does anyone recall anyone ever having a proven 'Brown-out' flying i.c. power, even with 2.4Ghz?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Personally - I believe that a good majority of crashes are Pilot Error and often get the 'Brown-out' tag ....

Lets be honest - things happen so quickly ... we throw sticks around trying to wrest back control ... we hate to admit WE messed up ... easier to blame the 'tools' .....

I have had 2 crashes in over 45 yrs that I can say hand on heart are NOT my fault ... a broken solder joint to a factory Rx pack cell - P51D smashed totally, 2nd - a servo failed in my gasoline biplane and she vertical'd into tarmac .... but at time - I thought it was me ... subsequent study of the video shows clearly it was the model.

But in total I've lost count of how many crashes ... but I will say that I have had MORE with 2.4 than with my old 35Mhz and 27Mhz ... but I put that down to lighter foam planes less capable of flying in 'weather'.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Brown-outs are ALWAYS from inadequate RX power supply (battery, switch harness resistance, BEC rating... )

Common Sense RC Servo Guage (made by Dimension Engineering.. I was a prototype tester of this product) will teach you that your servos can demand HUGE amounts of current.

In tests (before 2.4 ghz) on a .60-.90 size aircraft using "standard" servos I maxed the little logger's current measuring capability (multiple stalled servos in flight).
You just about can't supply that current and maintain RX power. 2.4 ghz would have failed 100% (any brand) in this aircraft.
The 72 mhz PCM radio I had been using did go into failsafe lockout once with the original setup...
Swapped to 90 in-oz torque servos and dropped the "peak X 15 sec" demand below 2 amps and "instant peak" to below 5 amps.
No lockouts with PCM... and no brown-outs with 2.4 when I upgraded.

Adequate power supply to the RX (battery, BEC... whatever)
Adequate servo torque for the aircraft and the way you will fly it.
A good quality switch harness.

Or watch the 2.4 ghz "brown out."

RX shadowing is also preventable... by proper antennae orientation and "antenna diversity" (Spektrum uses satellite RXs to achieve antenna diversity... others use long "whiskers")
Old 04-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
Chucksolo69

I fly with a an ol' timer who has a 72 mhz JR TX. He has bought a few Hobbico Tactic receivers an flies 4 of his planes using their 2.4 ghz AnyLink adapter.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

I just sold my last 6 channel futaba but i used it till last fall and it was kinda nice not having anyone on channel 38 at my club field. joe
Old 04-27-2013, 03:56 AM   #24
Panther

I have 3 x 36 Mhz sets and still use them, but I hate the antenna and long aerial on the receivers. I do like them in gliders though and because the fuselages are normally fairly long I can tape the aerial to the underside without too much hanging out the back. I trust the range more than 2.4 Ghz. Having said that I just ordered another 2.4 Ghz receiver so I can put it in my T28 as I have added extras to it and need more channels. I thought of upgrading the Optic 6 to 2.4 Ghz but I can buy a new 9X including receiver for what it costs for a replacement 2.4 Ghz module nowadays.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #25
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post

H'mmm
This does suggest that the ESC's BEC should be ruled out as cause of failure. I've seen several identical failures of this type at my flying field on various electric models. They were all traced to the use of linear BEC's on a model with three or more LiPo cells. Those linear BEC regulators can get very hot, especially with "3D" work and the violent servo movement that goes with it. And when these linear voltage regulators get to hot, guess what? They turn them selves off to prevent their failure. And your model crashes.

Now, after the crash, the linear BEC has cooled off, and restarts automatically.

I've got a giant scale 16 pound model with seven Hitec 645MG servos. The peak current measured with my Fluke 87V $$$$ meter with peak hold function showed a peak current of 14 AMPS!

One option is the use of one of those uBEC's such as Castle Creations 10 Amp uBEC. I've got 8 of them in 8 different models, and after years of flying with them, they've been flawless.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63779

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions