Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
View Poll Results: Are you a member of a club?
Yes I am a club member - flying less than 2 years 26 22.03%
Yes I am a club member - flying more than 2 years 43 36.44%
No I am not a club member - flying less than 2 years 18 15.25%
No I am not a club member - flying more than 2 years 31 26.27%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Default Are you a member of a club?

This poll is directed to pilots who primarily fly Electric planes, gliders or helis of some kind.

Are you a member of a club or are you flying on your own?

If you are flying on your own, not a member of a club, how long have you been flying? Where do you fly?

If you are a member of a club, how long have you been flying? Where is your club?

Please feel free to post anything you like about your flying experience whether part of a club or not.

This survey is not here to convince anyone that they should or should not be part of a club. I am just looking for a feel about what percentage of the forum members are members of clubs, whether they are AMA or any other kind of club.

In the context of this survey, club means an organized flying group, typically with rights to use a flying field of some kind. If you have a bunch of guys/gals, a set of rules, a group name as well as a place where you are allowd to fly, then you are in a club, in my opinion.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
nbroers

Friends: (0)

Hmm, I'm part of a club, but its not an official club? It has a name and rules, but its not affiliated with the SAMAA (South African equivalent of the AMA?), nor do we have membership fees or insurance.

Not sure what to answer the poll!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Presently not a club member but at the start many years back belonged to one, field is abit of a drive away otherwise would likely belong again.

Flying period currently over 2 years, enjoy the electrics now available.

So rusty really banged around the popular Super Cub, lasted along time with simple tape fixes, even treed a week and still flew fantastic.

But I did enjoy the 2 meter sailplanes years back, even did the hi-start, stayed with it for over 2 years.

Some of my now popular entrys and progression went as follows:

Again years back the 2 meter sailplanes, even enoyed the heavy Top Cat with .049 engine back then, durable starter.

Current entries:
Super Cub, later night flights, among the top choices for a newbie
Stryker B, not the faster C, fun flying wing with some authority, elevons trainer
Radian 2 meter sailplane, this ones increadible, everyone should have this puppie, long flights..
Thunderbat, my 70 MPH entry, first successful speed ship, keep her close, terrific
E-Flite 450 Sport, Balsa high wing with some zing, actually landing now, a top sunday flyer, nice entry with outside assistance, perfect size and handling, love it..
Ducted Fans, still working on these, sometime we'll get one to perform, hah..

Found quickly not all models work for everyone, take your time and do the homework, and hopefull you find the ones that will fly for you.. BEST ..<>..

Our present group is steadily growing, as many as eight now, from well advanced to beginner level, helis to ducted fans, amazing we keep learning every outing...All fun..
Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (108)

I fly with a great group of guys at some soccer fields, we call it the Unclub. There are no rules or dues but it's sort of like a club. Still I voted that I do not belong to a club.

I have been flying all electric for a little over 5 years.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by nbroers View Post
Hmm, I'm part of a club, but its not an official club? It has a name and rules, but its not affiliated with the SAMAA (South African equivalent of the AMA?), nor do we have membership fees or insurance.

Not sure what to answer the poll!
You are a member of a club.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Thanks guys. Keep the posts coming.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Club Secretary and Contest Director for the Newport News Park R/C Club.

http://newportnewsrc.org/

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Friends: (1)

Member of the 114th RC Aero Squadron in Grapevine, TX for about 4 years, flying for a total of 17.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery40
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

I just joined a club this year, and I started flying a lot last year. I ran into issues finding a safe place to fly that is close to home everytime I wanted to fly, so I joined the nearest club. There are not a lot of electric flyers at the club, so I have my work cut out to convert them.

I really need to finally build/buy something a little larger that can easily handle flying off of grass and won't fly so slow that it gets in the way of the larger/faster gas/glow jobs.

So far I have found that joining the club has helped keep me interested in RC. There are some very good pilots and lots of knowledge available that I didn't have before. Just watching some of the really large planes is a hoot.

I still fly alone the most. A nice evening flight alone I still find is the most relaxing.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

I am the Newsletter Editor and Webmaster for the Simi Valley Flyers.

http://www.simivalleyflyers.com/

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

View MaxAdventure's Gallery2
Send a message via Yahoo to MaxAdventure
Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
This poll is directed to pilots who primarily fly Electric planes, gliders or helis of some kind.

If you are a member of a club, how long have you been flying? Where is your club?
I'm currently VP of LEAF, Longmont Electric Aircraft Fliers. http://www.leafrc.com
I primarily fly electric due to how close this field is, and how relaxed everyone is and as an electric field, forces me into doing mostly electric.

I also happen to be a member of BAS, Boulder Aeromodeling society http://www.boulderaero.org/
This is where I learned to fly on an Eagle 63 around 1980. This club has a great facility, float flying SIG I'm a part of and where I go for my IC powered planes/helis.

My primary interest these days are gliders and helis, and I find I prefer electric helis so LEAF suits me well, especially with some great thermals at the field!

Several things I like about being a part of an AMA club:
I spent a lot of time flying out of my yard in my youth, 10 Acres in the middle of hundreds of acres of cow pasture and government property - and having an actual field with a runway is so much nicer. I started into heli's 20 years ago thinking it would be easier to fly at home, nope! I still prefer a real RC field for my heli flying. I also really appreciate the piece of mind of the insurance, especially every time I read a story or see a picture of a serious RC related injury. Just think of those Florida Helis flying in the park we all talked about this last spring.

There is ALWAYS room for some levity in your brevity!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
Intruder38

Club: L.I. Flying Eagles, L.I.R.C.S., Edgewood Flyers

I'm a member of three clubs and have been flying (?) for 20 years. I've served in a number of capacities in two of these (the third is sort of an insurance policy). My memberships are for several reasons, the primary one is the camaraderie I find in each of them. Building, flying are certainly important, but by far the most important reason I'm in this hobby is the friends I've made along the way. Without them, I might still be in the hobby, but not having nearly as much fun.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Club: AMA number is: 934723

Been happily flying any where and every where.. No need for a club!!! Learned to fly alone, well with the help of some of you here and responses for other questions others got answered. I fly out of Tom Bass Park. There is a club that flies from there, but you need not to be in the club to fly there..

Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Well, after letting this survey run a while it looks like about 2/3 of the members on this forum are club members ( AMA or not) although the sample is smaller than I would like.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 

In the process of joining. Should be official at the next club meeting.

AMA #959089
Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Congratulations on your new club membership. I hope you enjoy.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Yup belong to a great flying club Rocky Hill flying Circus they have no problems with my small electrics and we all just go to have fun. Nice thing is I haven't met anyone with a big ego as long as it safe, and flies that is all that matters.

Best thing I did was join a club no more driving around looking for a spot and finding sporting events going on then driving to the next place finding the samething.
John
Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Yup belong to a great flying club Rocky Hill flying Circus they have no problems with my small electrics and we all just go to have fun. Nice thing is I haven't met anyone with a big ego as long as it safe, and flies that is all that matters.

Best thing I did was join a club no more driving around looking for a spot and finding sporting events going on then driving to the next place finding the samething.
John
Ditto John, one of the primary reasons we joined was to have a dedicated flying site. Not had any encounters with soccer games, football practice, kite flyers etc since then

That and the fact that we really don't fly parkflyers very much anymore, we really needed to have a dedicated site like our club. Flying a 6ft wingspan, 1/4 scale model at 120+mph does not mix well with kids running around your feet!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #19
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Club member, that fly's alone when fitting.

If you are flying on your own, not a member of a club, how long have you been flying? Where do you fly?
Club member

I have been flying for 35 years. Last year I belonged to 3 clubs, this year only two. ASRCC (Aloha State RC Club) and SEFSD (Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego)

I also take a plane or two with me when we go camping and or travel. We are dune buggy enthusiasts also, so when we go to the desert, something comes along with me to fly. When I know I'll be in open space, I'll bring a plane along.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 02-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

View Saddlebum's Gallery5
Friends: (2)

Yes, I am a member of a Club.

It's the Hampshire County Radio Controllers (HCRC) a Club that has been around, and at the same field since the early Sixties!

I've been flying less than a year, was taught and solo'ed on one of the Club Trainers and after a thousand flights or so, have qualified as an Introductory Pilot... so I will be a trainor and not a trainee this coming year!

My Club has guys in their 20's through guys in their 70's. One guy has a three digit AMA number!

Aside from some good natured kidding (about electrics and stinkpots), everyone is helpful and agreeable. Our airplanes range from a guy who only owns one mini-Champ to a family who owns a trailer load of giants, including a Beast.

We have female members and minority members. We have retirees, doctors, dentists, telephone linemen, DPW workers and guys who just can't seem to be able to hold a job.

We are about as diversified as you can get, which I consider one of our Club's strongest assests.

Our common bond (besides a love of model airplanes)? We are all NICE people, willing to share and to help. I'm glad I joined.

...The Bum
Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
DigitalVI

Club: Lake Dallas Falcons

Started flying June of last year. Instructed and buddy boxed by the Pres of a local
AMA club. Became a club member in Oct, the only month they admit new members.

A great bunch of guys that are all willing to help any way the can.

Dan
Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #22
blueapplepaste

Member of a club (though I mostly fly my nitros at the club, and electrics at the local park, I still bring electrics to the club sometimes)

Not applicable.

Its in N. Texas, I've been flying a total of ~10 years (with a 5 year interruption for college). Though only at this club for past 2 years.

Please feel free to post anything you like about your flying experience whether part of a club or not.
I like the club. Its good because there are people willing to help if you need it (WF and RCU and RCG are great resources, but having someone in person can't be beat IMO). Plus the club field is nice and big. I like to maiden the electrics there so I have plenty of room to really get a feel for them before flying at the local park.

Matthew - Blue Apple Herps
Old 02-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #23
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

I'm the Newsletter Editor of the Racine Radio Control Club in Racine, WI. Been a member now for about 6 years, but my flying model airplanes goes back to the early 1960's.

During that time, I've belonged to three different clubs. One is still around, the sailplane club fell apart in the early 1990's.

Our club flies everything from back yard flying models to giant scale twin cylinder engine powered, to four members with turbine jets. All get together well. In fact, one member flying giant scale also flys a little electric inbetween flying the giant scale. He can do stuff with that little electric that would be disasterous with that $4000 giant scale model.

About a half dozen members fly electric models with power levels above about 500 watts or so.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

View BEAR-AvHistory's Gallery13
Club: Raleigh Durham Radio Control AMA Club #733
Friends: (2)

Raleigh Durham Radio Control an AMA Chartered Club #733, and IMAA Charter #724. Members fly Giant Scale, Sport Scale, Sail Planes, Electric Flight, Helicopters, Turbines and Sport Flying.

I have been flying about 2 years & was taught at the club.

http://www.rd-rc.org/

Kevin
Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Raleigh Durham Radio Control an AMA Chartered Club #733, and IMAA Charter #724. Members fly Giant Scale, Sport Scale, Sail Planes, Electric Flight, Helicopters, Turbines and Sport Flying.

I have been flying about 2 years & was taught at the club.

http://www.rd-rc.org/
And a fine club that is. I was down for the Tot fly back in September and had an awesome time! Will be back again this year for sure!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners