Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)
Default Really Really Annoyed !! HK's F3A Pattern ship

The "F3A Patternish Ship - 910mm (PNF) (EU warehouse)"

I have added my email to the tell me when in stock for ages and nothing !!

I want a knock-around job like this that is cheap and nasty ... it fits the bill to a tee ...

I can't buy from Hobby King Global warehouse as the shipping size exceeds Latvian Post and the courier cost is hugely out of relation to the model !

Grrrrrrrr !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

No competition causes any amount of price increase they feel like. Love big corporations profit margings.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
No competition causes any amount of price increase they feel like. Love big corporations profit margings.
??

The model price is good ... and the shipping costs are Courier not HK ...

Latvia Post restricts parcel size .. so no postal service can deliver - has to be Courier.

Nothing to do with Big Corporations Profit Margins.....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Pilot Error

Club: Indian River Radio Control Club

There's a bunch of planes I'd love to have...But they are NEVER in stock! I give up on them..Sorry about your shipping deal...That blows!

My avitar is Grumpy Cat saying, "Hasn't he crashed yet?"

My name is Mark and I approve this message.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

it's not just hk....for what ever reason shipping is so high you just know the company is pocketing the extra cash like the deserve it for calling the postal service or putting the product in the mail.

i find a plane at banana hobbies and shipping kills the deal,another barebones frame kit for $36bucks and shipping is $32...seriously!!how insulting to sell us a $36kit and have it total$68.

right now i want to p/u another airframe 64mm jet but the price for value stinks when adding in shipping costs. who knows,mabe black frida deals will turn the tides and i'll order another bird for a 5250 kv edf unit on order.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
it's not just hk....for what ever reason shipping is so high you just know the company is pocketing the extra cash like the deserve it for calling the postal service or putting the product in the mail.
Have you ever tried mailing a large 'oversize' parcel half way around the world, or even domestically? It's REALLY expensive. Go get a few online quotes and see for yourself, you will do well to get a price as low as HK or others charge. People blame HK and others for the high shipping but in my experience their shipping costs are usually near enough actual cost of shipping. Yes domestically some other companies subsidise their shipping costs or offer free shipping but don't kid yourself, you are still paying for shipping, it's just built into the cost of the goods.

Shipping stuff half way around the world is often simply not economic, but that's just a a fact of life. HK obviously realise that and have opened up local warehouses. In the UK local warehouse I generally find HK shipping is as cheap or often cheaper than most other domestic UK retailers, and the bottom line price is almost always less. It would be nice if they carried the same range in the local warehouses as they do in the China one, but i guess that's down to sales volumes.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Years ago a friend sent a 15 to 20 pound package from N J to California. about $ 85 dollars when totaled. Brown UPS ?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Nigel

How do any larger items come in ? Must be some carrier making a killing on the oversized pieces.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Nigel

How do any larger items come in ? Must be some carrier making a killing on the oversized pieces.
We can order from an EU based source and then carrier costs go down ... but it's finding the gear you want. HK has Euro and UK warehouses - but poorly stocked.

There are German / UK and other dealers - but then you have revise your wish-list to fit THEIR stock.

The F3A Pattern ship is actually the Lanyu model - but I can't find it anywhere else and if I did - it would be RTF job.... at higher price.

Nigel

Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Want a cheap F3A? Might want to consider the GWS Formosa II kit. It sells here for about USD $50.00 The EPO version is some of the nicest EPO foam I've worked with to date. The rest of the kit is for crap. A bunch of un-needed plastic parts. But with the recommneded mods, it's a great F3A patternship.. Even put a set of Chelliegear on her. Those were quite a hit at the field. Raked at about 30 deg. She handled grass beautifully. No nose-overs.

3DHS's owner Ben Fisher even flew the maiden. It can run through all of the required maneuvers with ease.

Just an alternate suggestion. Check the thread here on WF.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
cyclops2
Super Contributor

That is what I was finding at USA China places. Slim pickings of RTF / PNP.
Americans are known to pay the highest prices in the world. We never fail to do so.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Want a cheap F3A? Might want to consider the GWS Formosa II kit. It sells here for about USD $50.00 The EPO version is some of the nicest EPO foam I've worked with to date. The rest of the kit is for crap. A bunch of un-needed plastic parts. But with the recommneded mods, it's a great F3A patternship.. Even put a set of Chelliegear on her. Those were quite a hit at the field. Raked at about 30 deg. She handled grass beautifully. No nose-overs.

3DHS's owner Ben Fisher even flew the maiden. It can run through all of the required maneuvers with ease.

Just an alternate suggestion. Check the thread here on WF.

-Hawk
I was told the Lanyu F3A was a 'rip-off' of the Formosa ... but I meant to check it out ... just slipped my mind ... thanks for reminding me.

All UK / Eu based say - Discontinued !

The Lanyu TW746 - which is the factory name for the F3A Pattern ship is stupid price ... one place said $104.99 + shipping !!

Nigel

Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
bluzjamer

Club: South County R C Club, Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (4)

Shipping kills more deals. Only way to fight it is...don't buy it. Let them know shipping killed the deal, sooner or later they will get the message or close up. HK USA whse still sticks it to the US buyer no much cheaper on shipping and they jack the price of the item up. Many of the hobby houses are starting to have special shipping rates for small parts and offer free shipping for over a certain amount. These places get my dollars before HK. I shipped a ton of guitars through the years, mostly FedEx and they were cheaper than Brown. USPS takes better care of their packages. Guitar in a hard case usually weighs 20-25 lbs., never spent more than $40. Some people are starting to ship through Greyhound, I have no experience with them. This is all just my $.02 YMMV!

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Bluzjamer,

Could be worse. Don't use the Airlines. Could not resist passing this on:

http://youtu.be/5YGc4zOqozo

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Trouble is the only outlet that had models to see and buy has gone bankrupt in Latvia and the other is one where you just order - they do what I can do - online orders ! And they charge for that !!

So I'm stuck with shipping in whatever I want whether its a full model or a control horn...

Nigel

Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #16
bluzjamer

Club: South County R C Club, Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (4)

Bluzjamer,

Could be worse. Don't use the Airlines. Could not resist passing this on:

http://youtu.be/5YGc4zOqozo

-Hawk
Yeah, that is a few years old. I haven't had too many guitar problems but had some expensive airguns arrive in pieces. Never seen a stock break in shipping with no damage to the outside box....twice no less. One was a $300 stock that had to come from Korea. UPS would not pay for the damage even though insurance was on the package. It was the one time I didn't use AmExp.

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Panther

Friends: (0)

Personally I love the Lanyu stuff. I have a Raptor and a Phoenix 2000. Price cant be beat and they are tough plastic fuses. I stalled my Raptor in the weekend downwind and it dived about 10 feet straight in. Got a nasty grass stain on the nose.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm also a Lanyu fan ...

The ME109 - I bought as RTF ... it flew ... had it for ages ... converted to Brushless, took out the 35Mhz radio ... got so beat up though - was nicknamed the Banana !!

64mm T45 EDF .. now this has to be one of the best in it's class ... flies superb on a 3S ......... goes like stink on a 4S .... and all for under $30 the kit !

Nigel

Old 11-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
cyclops2
Super Contributor

I really do miss the golden years when GWS was cranking out all the prop stuff. Still have 2 F-15s ready for a center line driveshaft set up. Those puppies can go vertical & glide forever.............On A123 2300 cells.
Need to make the 2nd one LIPO. Would have to make it with a full flying surface elevator. Ailerons for turns.
The seperate elevators & servos are not that sturdy. A hollow CF shaft in a sleeve will give solid control.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Where do you get the Lanyu kits? Like Nigel, I'm all about cheap.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate !

Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, green bean casserole, even broccoli with cheese, football (not futbal), beer, 2 days off? What's not to like ?

Old 11-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Panther

Friends: (0)

FPV Raptor and Phoenix 2000 are available at Hobby King but they are not called Lanyu. Lanyu make a lot of different kits for different resellers under different names. Sometimes they sell direct from the factory but freight is the killer with them. I took the FPV gear out of my Raptor as it was too much fun as a sport flyer and glides well too.
There is now a 1600mm version of the Phoenix as well.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I got my ME109 of ebay from a UK seller .... but that avenue is no longer available to me - doesn't post to Latvia anymore ... he had trouble with some other buyers who claimed non-receipt of goods ... received shortly after (postal delay) but never told anyone they'd finally received.

My Lanyu T45 was from Hobby King .... $29.99 kit.

Nigel

Old 11-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #23
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks guys,

If you have a link, please post. The T-45 sounds interesting. I'll go a hunting. Still have my slight crooked nose Jpowers Red Arrows.

I think found it on the US site.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

USD $45.00 for Kit version I have a 64mm edf- 6 blade available from my 'early retirement' Freewing F9F Panther. Not sure it's a 4S ready setup by simply upping the esc. Have a new 40amp esc waiting for a home but this may not be enough. Opinion? See that there might be some other mods in store. The discussion section had complaints about a weak h-stab that should be converted to balsa? and the normal run the servo so that the linkage is top deck. I did the same think with the little Jpowers version.

Might give this a go. Can get up and running on the cheap by making good use of my left overs.

-Hawk

Old 11-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Thanks guys,

If you have a link, please post. The T-45 sounds interesting. I'll go a hunting. Still have my slight crooked nose Jpowers Red Arrows.

I think found it on the US site.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

USD $45.00 for Kit version I have a 64mm edf- 6 blade available from my 'early retirement' Freewing F9F Panther. Not sure it's a 4S ready setup by simply upping the esc. Have a new 40amp esc waiting for a home but this may not be enough. Opinion? See that there might be some other mods in store. The discussion section had complaints about a weak h-stab that should be converted to balsa? and the normal run the servo so that the linkage is top deck. I did the same think with the little Jpowers version.

Might give this a go. Can get up and running on the cheap by making good use of my left overs.

-Hawk
Hawk ... that's the 'other' T45 that is higher priced and actually heavier when set-up. The give-away is the words USS FORESTALL under the rear Stars and Bars ... The Lanyu one doesn't have that ... and is slightly smaller / lighter ...

Here ye go ... my build thread on the Lanyu T45 ... and later mods :

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ight=Lanyu+T45

Always there if any questions ....

Read through all the thread and you get to see how to modify for better elevator control and weight distribution.

BUT I CAN'T FIND THE LANYU T45 ON HOBBY KING ANYMORE !!

Darn it !! Was thinking about getting another later to revamp into Red Arrows !

Nigel

Old 11-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Nigel,

Order placed. Adding to my squadron. Will go and study your thread again. Remember it. Guess I'll first be looking for the 'must do's' versus 'nice to do's' as a starting point.

Have a good one !

-Hawk

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions