Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Tinlid

Friends: (0)
Default pulsing motor at low throttle

I have a E-flight Tailorcraft with a park 480 bl 1020Kv motor i just replaced the ESC from a Dualsky 25 to Turnigy Plush 40 now with the Turnigy(the 40 amp is recommened in the manual with this motor) when opening the throttle slowly in the first few notches the motor pulses past this point the motor operates normally also when closing and reopening the throttle it pulses now i must add i'm opening the throttle very slowly and it only occures in the first few notches i also just as a point i had to change the timing from low to high to stop the motor screeching which really made jump the first time it happened anyway should i be concerened about this pulsing.

Keep smiling and fly when you can
Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Most of the time its best not to sneak up on the throttle. If the motor is jerking back and forth it is also probably drawing hi amps which is not good for it or the controller.

Just zip right by that low throttle point and go for it

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 02-17-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
Tinlid

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Most of the time its best not to sneak up on the throttle. If the motor is jerking back and forth it is also probably drawing hi amps which is not good for it or the controller.

Just zip right by that low throttle point and go for it
Hmmmm thanks for answering Larry, still would like to know why it pulses thou, none of my other ESC's have ever cause this even the Dualsky 25 that i took out ran the motor smoothly without any changes to programing in fact i'm thinking i'll wait a couple of days to see if any one else can give me any further information if not i''ll replace it with another ESC.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

The controller may just be defective. You're talking about relatively low quality controllers with sometimes iffy quality controll.

It could also be one of the solder joints on the controller side may be less than perfect or it may have a bad connector. Connection issues can cause problems too. It could also be some other setting still needs to be tweaked a bit.

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

I'm thinkin' a poor solder joint too maybe...

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #6
cisc0box
Curious Owl

View cisc0box's Gallery15
Friends: (3)

Yeah ... speed controllers are probably one of the least "quality controlled" components in the RC field. It can be a hit and miss with them but generally most have good luck.

Perhaps try to slip in one of your older ESCs and see if it does it ... if they work fine, then you might want to return your new unit if possible. Before doing so, read the manual and do a search of that particular ESC model to see if anyone has issues with it.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
gyrocptr

Here's a post that provides some explanation viz the "screeching" and pulsing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...85#post8731985

The screeching itself is caused by the ESC firing the 3 phases of the motor in sequence to get it to spin, but without enough power to overcome the magnetic force of the motor magnets.

Some ESCs have a "Jump Start" program to automatically input a "partial-throttle signal" to start the motor, other ESCs rely on the pilot to blip the throttle up to start the motor.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
cisc0box
Curious Owl

View cisc0box's Gallery15
Friends: (3)

That's why I recommend reading the manual. If it's in the programming ... it might be possible to change the setting?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Tinlid

Originally Posted by cisc0box View Post
Yeah ... speed controllers are probably one of the least "quality controlled" components in the RC field. It can be a hit and miss with them but generally most have good luck.

Perhaps try to slip in one of your older ESCs and see if it does it ... if they work fine, then you might want to return your new unit if possible. Before doing so, read the manual and do a search of that particular ESC model to see if anyone has issues with it.
I've tested the older ESC works fine and i've tweeked the new ESC as much as possible but i'll check out the connector's for a cold solder connection and see how i go from there.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
Kosh
Super Contributor

View Kosh's Gallery82
Club: NWEF.ORG
Send a message via Yahoo to Kosh
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 
Friends: (31)

I have seen the same thing happen at our field a few times now. In each case the low voltage shutoff was set to low as in 2 cell. Changing this setting to 3 cells fixed it every time so far. The more that's added in programing in ESC's the easier things are to screw up in it.

Wattflyer, Where your friends are.

http://www.youtube.com/SeattleKosh
Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #11
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

change it to high timing and it will go away...

also program your throttle curve on that esc,

you turn the tx on full throttle.... Plug in battery, you'll hear it beep... go to low throttle, two beeps, and then arms... throttle curve set...

SK

Ministeve's videos
http://www.vimeo.com/user483596/videos
Ministeve's Photo Page at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30153396@N06/
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #12
Tinlid

Originally Posted by gyrocptr View Post
Here's a post that provides some explanation viz the "screeching" and pulsing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...85#post8731985

The screeching itself is caused by the ESC firing the 3 phases of the motor in sequence to get it to spin, but without enough power to overcome the magnetic force of the motor magnets.

Some ESCs have a "Jump Start" program to automatically input a "partial-throttle signal" to start the motor, other ESCs rely on the pilot to blip the throttle up to start the motor.

That looks like exactly what 's going on here the sceeching which the high timing solved but the pulsing had me fooled it's just the first time i've come across it seems you never stop learning.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
wingnutt
Will work for foam

Tinlid - i had the same problem with my CC T-Bird ESCs on a particular motor. In the end it came down to the start-up sequence within the ESC itself. Once I updated the firmware in the ESC, the problem went away.

It seems that there are a different ways to get a brushless motor to start turning in the right direction. How that particular ESC does it and combining that with the winding of that motor can cause this sort of thing.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #14
questech

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
The controller may just be defective. You're talking about relatively low quality controllers with sometimes iffy quality controll.

It could also be one of the solder joints on the controller side may be less than perfect or it may have a bad connector. Connection issues can cause problems too. It could also be some other setting still needs to be tweaked a bit.
Hello Everyone

I'm going to take a leap here and state my opinion... only an opinion.

I seriously doubt that is the problem is caused by a faulty ESC or poor solder joints, based on my experience and research so far.

I may be wrong, but I stand by that opinion at this point.

The reason I say this? I have a very similar, if not identical, problem and I am getting closer to the answer, but a defective ESC isn't it.

I have 10 HobbyWing Pentium 80A ESCs and each of them have the same pulsing at very low throttle settings.

It isn't bad solder joints, I'm not perfect, but I've been soldering for way too many years, and I'm anal retentive, so let's just agree to rule that out.

I believe it's a firmware issue, and probably a timing issue that is not accessible via the options given.

I believe that it is motor dependent to some degree.

I tested all of the ESCs with most of my 10 Cobra 4120-22 motors with the same results.

There is also a cracking noise that the ESC causes that is not bearing or magnet attachment related... the bearings are perfect and the magnets are all securely fastened.

Now when I use one of these ESCs on a different motor (NTM 36-35) remnants of this problem show its ugly face with similar, yet reduced, cracking and pulsing.

Yet when I try SimonK flashed ESCs on these motors, they run smooth as silk.

I am now just trying to figure out how to flash these ESCs

I appreciate your feedback, and any help you could share about flashing these ESCs... Thanks!!

Anthony

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems