Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)
Default Beginners. Try to join a flying group.

That is your best way to have a fast, safe, inexpensive way to become a great pilot.

Instead of becomeing a fantastic repairman.

There really is more safety & enjoyment in groups.

Rich
Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Crashes are too expensive to hog all the excitement just for yourself. And that incredible landing you just made with no witnesses? Didn't happen unless you have video. Share the accomplishment, share the joy, share the pain.

There's only one post in this thread but its the most important thread for anybody starting out in the hobby. Get with some co-conspirators. You'll have more fun.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

I agree. the best thing I did when entering this hobby was joining a club & the AMA
Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Must say - I have to agree ....

Find a local group of guys who fly and get best help. It's fine asking on here and other forums - but hands-on direct help is best you can get. No guess-work as often happens on forums ... no irrelevant clutter ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

+1 more to say join a group/club. and don't just settle for any old club...find one thats friendly to be around.

the first club i joined was a bummer as far as friendly goes. mainly 3d glow pilots with beautiful planes and experience to fly the.

,i flew the skyfly plastic plane 3 channel and when i first showed up at the club flying it...i heard a guy behind me say"who's flying that piece of sh.t"...lol...,the president of the club told him to shut up...and said let the guy fly.

the club i'm in now is where i really got comfortable with the sticks,a great bunch of pilots who are out to learn from each other. thats what a newbe needs.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	video test fipshare 054.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	171896

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
DavidR8

Default Too bad the only club

In my area is a very closed group.

I do try to fly with a group of folks who gather casually at a large local park. But I will say that as a beginner it is very intimidating to walk out the the "flight line" in front of a bunch of guys sitting in lawn chairs watching your every move. It feels very much like an audition...

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Greybeard

Friends: (0)

I agree with the O.P., club fees are very cheap when compared with a single repair bill; the friendships that develop are a bonus.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

It's sad to read pposts like David's .. where he feels intimidated by 'lawn chair' crowd ...

That is not what it should be. It's a hobby and each has their own level, wishes etc. in it ... not everyone wants to fly a super scale wopping great investment job.

I'm lucky that only one group I flew with in all the years was even remotely 'off' .. that was LeeBee's in UK ... nice bunch, but there were always comments about Joe and Fred ... nitpicking about this and that ... Club meetings were all sit-down jobs like school assembly.

But WCA, Meon Valley and the guys I fly with now were / are wonderful ... free-spirited and all enjoy the hobby regardless of what flown.

The meetings I go to ... free-spirited .. everyones interested in helping each other ... newbies very welcome and all give a hand for them to get maximum fun from it all ...

THATS what it is all about ... FUN - TO ENJOY ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
cyclops2
Super Contributor

David

See if you can talk to a capable & friendly pilot about some help. I am a self taught pilot because arrogant people NEED to take over a club. IF ALLOWED TO.

A public park is just that. For everyone. You need to put on your emotional thick skin to fly in a mixed group.
They enjoy the planes. You should do the same when you arrive at the field.

Enjoy.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Cool

Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
In my area is a very closed group.

I do try to fly with a group of folks who gather casually at a large local park. But I will that as a beginner it is very intimidating to walk out the the "flight line" in front of a bunch of guys sitting in lawn chairs watching your every move. It feels very much like an audition...
There are only two ways to get over something like this.

1) Ask for help. EVERYONE was new at this once. Even the guy who is the club/group champ was a newbie once and chances are that someone helped him get started. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help. In most cases they will respect that you are smart enough to ask. And many are more than happy to help.

2) That is what simulators and micro planes are for. You practice in your yard or on your computer till you feel you have the idea. THEN you do #1.

Believe me, we have all been through this. But the only person who can fix it is you.

There are thousands of clubs in the USA and here is where you can find them:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

And there are probably thousands of informal flying groups as well. Not everyone agrees but, for me, it is more fun to fly with friends.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Yakfishingfool

I found a loose group of guys flying at an old grass runway. Wish we had a hard landing area but it is grass with corn on both sides. Older guys with good moods and spirits. Some fantastic builder, good flyers. Welcomed me right in. Especially after I found them a new Wire spool to use as a field table! Taught myself to not crash, still learning to fly.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
DavidR8

Default I agree

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
There are only two ways to get over something like this.

1) Ask for help. EVERYONE was new at this once. Even the guy who is the club/group champ was a newbie once and chances are that someone helped him get started. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help. In most cases they will respect that you are smart enough to ask. And many are more than happy to help.

2) That is what simulators and micro planes are for. You practice in your yard or on your computer till you feel you have the idea. THEN you do #1.

Believe me, we have all been through this. But the only person who can fix it is you.

There are thousands of clubs in the USA and here is where you can find them:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

And there are probably thousands of informal flying groups as well. Not everyone agrees but, for me, it is more fun to fly with friends.
It's a funny thing: when a person is proficient at something, they forget that they had to learn it too. And unless people are inclined to teach or help, most just stand around and watch.

The only thing we don't have to learn is breathing, everything else is learned.

That said I fly the daylights out of my sim and together with a properly built and balanced plane I'm much better. I also met a fellow at our park who belongs to the aforementioned club who has helped me tremendously.

And he filled me in on the history of the club. They have very good reasons to have a capped membership. It's too bad, because they have the only field suitable for larger scale planes or ground take offs and landings.

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners