Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Royall

Club: Don't belong to any.
Friends: (0)
Default Why Me??!!

Oh, lucky you guys... you get to hear me vent!! Been trying for 10 days to get an order from HobbyKing! Trying like heck to get back into the RC plane hobby and made a $200+ order on the 5 of this month. STILL has not shipped. No, nothing on back order either. First, they wanted to ship via Parcel Post. That takes too long to ship to Hawaii (6-8 weeks) and tried for 6 days to get someone at HK to reply about an upgrade in shipping. Finally I get an email that the package has shipped parcel post. Well, darn.... I'll just have to wait then. Next day, someone reads my complaint message and tells me "Gee sorry" and then tells me "we upgraded to Priority Mail and you'll get your package in 3-5 days at no extra charge"... now that is what I'm talking about! I would even be happy to pay for the upgrade, only fare!! Now this morning (2 days later) I get an email saying "we don't ship to PO BOXES"!!! Well, here on the big island of Hawai'i, in the rural part south of Hilo, most people don't have home mail delivery and have PO boxes. Now it is a long wait to wait for another email from the powers to be at HK. They won't even take the time to pick up a phone and call me to try to keep me as a future customer. I told the guy last time I'm going to tell everybody I can about the very poor customer service I've been getting from HK.

Sorry for the rant from a Noob but I didn't know where else to post this. HK doesn't seem to care.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Nope they have very little customer service - you don't pay for it in their price. They got in HOT water with HK post when they continue to ship LiPo batteries (against the rules) and the HK post started opening all their packages and returning them to HK.

So they are in trouble and scrambling to get it worked out.

So again they don't play by rules you are bound to get nicked.

Sorry but there are other better vendors in the US that you can work with.

Mike
Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Royall

Lesson learned Mike, I wish I had looked more seriously at other vendors. but the prices they offer are so very tempting to a noob on a fixed income. Now, I don't know if I'm even going to get the merchandise.

What other vendors have you dealt with that also had good prices too?

Mahalo
Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I like ValueHobby and HobbyPartz. Both have issues with stock but that seems to be pretty common.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Royall

Thanks again Mike, I'll look into those companies. If I don't get things resolved with HK, then I'll have to see if I can afford to reorder from another source.

One quick question if I may... I was looking to get an HK-010 watt meter when they were not back ordered. I thought 20 bucks was a fare price and they have good reviews too. What other brands would be as good for a descent price?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

+1 on Value Hobby(Chicago). Always good service. A couple of more really good ones are Motion RC http://www.motionrc.com/ ( Chicago) who carries alot of Freewing and FMS models, Grayson Hobby(Georgia) http://graysonhobby.com/catalog/ who carries both Horizon and Dynam models and for little odds and ends, check out Headsuprc.com(Florida) www.headsuprc.com Great for motors, wires, adhesives, connectors, motors, esc's, etc. I have also had reasonably good luck with Nitroplanes( California) www.nitroplanes.com who owns Hobbypartz. Grayson and Motion are Veteran owned if that means anything to you.

What are you looking to buy? I've had a few wait issues with HK International. Not so bad with their Washington State US warehouse if they ship to Hawaii. The Durafly Spitfire MK-24, while it luckily incurred no damage, was poorly packed from their International warehouse.

For Lipos, I've been getting them from China Hobby Line(CHL) www.chinahobbyline.com lately. Very nice quality unbeatable pricing plus free shipping from their California warehouse.

Aloha !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Royall

Thanks for all the links Hawk.... Where is China Hobby located? In fact China? I know dumb question but if they are in China, how do they get around shipping laws on lipos?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

China Hobby Line(CHL) has a warehouse in California, actually, Beverly Hills. Jason is great. All they do are batteries and their service is great. Even include a little bonus gift with your order like aa batteries or a small lipo bag. Why? Beats me. Their prices are hard to beat and with free shipping? Alot to like. Worth a try anyway.Lipo chemistry is not really different among brands. Assembly and QC may vary alot though.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Royall

Thanks again Hawk! HK has my money and if they do cancel the order I hope I get the funds back! Then go through all the hassle of re-ordering. I just wan to get something finished... so I can go crash it!! LOL
Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

I like headsup fast & cheap shipping. also they stand behind their stuff
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Royall

Originally Posted by zoltron55 View Post
I like headsup fast & cheap shipping. also they stand behind their stuff
Sorry to say, most places have a clause in there free shipping.. "Except Alaska, and Hawai'i" .... I've almost gotten used to it. Just bites me where I sit at times.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

With HK's problems at moment via Int. Warehouse - I test-ran an order for Lipos today ... a $5 LiPo wanted over $54 shipping !

Other suppliers such as CHL and others are going to win on this ... unless HK can sort their various 'local' depots out with pricing ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Royall View Post
Sorry to say, most places have a clause in there free shipping.. "Except Alaska, and Hawai'i" .... I've almost gotten used to it. Just bites me where I sit at times.
You live in paradise - there is a price.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

There was a email sent out from HK last week regarding the CS and shipping of lipos to other countries.
http://youtu.be/r6fysdrZ6Xc

URGENT UPDATE

Our International Warehouse based in Hong Kong has been affected by changes in Hong Kong Customs policy.
This has affected shipping of lithium-based batteries to many countries, but the United States was not affected.

However, due to this issue our Customer Service channel has been overwhelmed. This means that unfortunately all customers will have difficulty contacting Customer Service and for this we sincerely apologise.
If you are trying to contact customer service, please know that we WILL get back to you as soon as possible. To improve efficiency and improve response time, we request that you create just ONE support ticket. Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

To ensure that this does not happen again, we are:

- Implementing similar shipping solutions to those offered to our US customers.
- Establishing another Customer Service Centre in the United States which will be staffed by modelers and will be able to answer all technical product enquiries. This is in addition to our two other Customer Service Centers.
- Expanding our existing regional warehouse range and looking to open more regional warehouses so that more customers can enjoy lower shipping costs and receive their orders quickly.
- Negotiating with different shipping companies to once again be able to offer a complete range of shipping options.

As you can see, we are urgently taking steps to fix this issue. We have all hands on deck packing orders and answering emails (from Senior VPs to secretaries to janitors) to ensure that this backlog is met. We expect to be up-to-date within the next couple of weeks.

Please know that we strive to provide you with the best possible service. We regret any inconvenience or frustration that you have experienced.

As the situation progresses we will be posting updates on the News section of www.hobbyking.com.

Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you will continue to give us opportunities to serve you.

Sincerely,

Anthony Hand
President
HobbyKing
Old 10-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (10)

If you want to try other vendors than HK, I can warmly recommend BuddyRC (formerely EPBuddy). They're great for motors, ESCs, batteries and chargers and the owner Dale is a nice and honest person.

http://www.buddyrc.com/

I also use AltitudeHobbies for ESCs. The ZTW line is great and the Altitude guys are very close with the Chinese manufacturer which helps a lot. I use their ESCs in four of my planes.

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/

AMA #959089
Old 10-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Swede,

Just gave buddyrc a whirl on a small order of connector adaptors and one 4S lipo. Could not get the 5% discount code to work until after I placed the order. Not a big deal.

Site looks pretty good.

-Hawk

Old 10-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

In the meantime I'm sure Hobby King will get their stuff sorted out. I just ordered from the US Warehouse and didn't have to worry about it.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Rockin,

I sure hope they do. Here's how my Durafly MK-24 arrived on Friday from the International Warehouse. Here's how it looked with the box standing up:

Luckily , I could not detect any damage. Had some other items in the box I ordered along with the Spit that I could not get from the US site. All was in tact. All they did was wrap the top with thin brown paper and left the styrofoam exposed. Real shoddy packing.One would think that coming all the way from China , they would double box something like this. Oh well.

Man, I was loaded for bear when I saw this. Looked like someone used a grappling hook from " On the Waterfront" Of course, it was exposed to JFK and the NY Port Authority. " I could have been a contender" rang through my mind.

International goes from Hong Kong around the world to JFK ( Isn't LAX closer?), then to Indiana, then Dallas, then local PO Go figure. Lessons learned.

Recieved the MK-2 Stinger from the US Warehouse the same day and it was double boxed and arrived UPS to DFW from Washington State. Perfect !

-Hawk

Old 10-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #19
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
If you want to try other vendors than HK, I can warmly recommend BuddyRC (formerely EPBuddy). They're great for motors, ESCs, batteries and chargers and the owner Dale is a nice and honest person.

http://www.buddyrc.com/

I also use AltitudeHobbies for ESCs. The ZTW line is great and the Altitude guys are very close with the Chinese manufacturer which helps a lot. I use their ESCs in four of my planes.

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/

Dale is awesome to buy from love the batteries he carries and great customer service after the sale. I bought a Icharger from him 3 years ago well after the third , or fourth charge a wisp of smoke came out. I sent him a email with the problem and he sent one back saying a new charger would be shipped and a label to return the bad one.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

The Customs problem with HK is well posted on various sites ... and there are stories that it happened because of ignoring rules ... who knows ...

We all know that there have been problems shipping Lipo's for quite a while now ..

My problem now is to find a source that ships into Latvia at prices I am willing to pay !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,989 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Hi Royall and Welcome to Wattflyers when buying from HK, use the USA Warehouse, and only make small purchases at a time, like $75.00 or less per order so you dont get burned, and use Paypal, PayPal is cheap insurance in case a item is lost or stolen in the mail, you will get your money back, 100% success with PayPal with me so far, had to make several Claims with various sellers, Always got my money back, use USA sellers for big items, even if you spend a tad more, its just cheap insurance to do so, Hobby people, tower hobbies, Horizon Hobbies, Heads up Rc, Nitroplanes, are a few of the 100% reliable sellers out there

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Chellie ... glad to hear you had success with claims via Paypal ...

Myself and a pal of mine back in UK have not had success with PP ...

I had a defective Tx with an RTF .. seller told me to buy a new Tx from him to replace ... I even sent on the correspondence to PP and Ebay ... both declined to pursue.

Mate of mine sold a professional Video to DVD transfer machine and proved that buyer had tampered with the machine, damaged it and then claimed my mate had sold defective product ... PP and Ebay decided in favour of buyer despite the evidence clearly showing buyers damage on forcing case apart etc.

The biggest headache with PP claims is the multiple choice style of claim procedure ... they break it into claim types .. and form - which does not always fit ... then you have devils own job trying to get them to understand the claim.

Have you noticed the sneaky way they accept some cards and deny others for PP funding means ... depends on the cards actions on claims and card providers paying back to you on claim ... means PP can be out of pocket ... Oh dear - they do not like that ...

And of course PP is owned by Ebay ... or other way round - not sure which way ... but they are same !!

Nigel

Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

FYI,there has just been some sort of major holiday in China,which pretty much stops everything for a week!Allow a few days to get back up to speed,and there you have 10 days lost.
I just tried an order for a 2200mah lipo.$32.75 Fedex to new zealand.This is however for up to 2kg weight,so i would just have to buy a large parcel of battery packs in 1 go!
If you spread the cost over several items,it's not such a big deal,and delivery should be faster.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
Royall

Hi Chellie.... I did use PayPal and did order every thing through the USA warehouse. At least I was thinking I did. Everything I ordered showed USA on it. But the HK site is a hard one to figure out at times. BTW.... Tried to send you a message but I don't have enough posts yet.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #25
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,989 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Hi Chellie ... glad to hear you had success with claims via Paypal ...

Myself and a pal of mine back in UK have not had success with PP ...

I had a defective Tx with an RTF .. seller told me to buy a new Tx from him to replace ... I even sent on the correspondence to PP and Ebay ... both declined to pursue.

Mate of mine sold a professional Video to DVD transfer machine and proved that buyer had tampered with the machine, damaged it and then claimed my mate had sold defective product ... PP and Ebay decided in favour of buyer despite the evidence clearly showing buyers damage on forcing case apart etc.

The biggest headache with PP claims is the multiple choice style of claim procedure ... they break it into claim types .. and form - which does not always fit ... then you have devils own job trying to get them to understand the claim.

Have you noticed the sneaky way they accept some cards and deny others for PP funding means ... depends on the cards actions on claims and card providers paying back to you on claim ... means PP can be out of pocket ... Oh dear - they do not like that ...

And of course PP is owned by Ebay ... or other way round - not sure which way ... but they are same !!

Nigel
Sorry to hear that PP did not work out for you, its not 100% perfect, but most of the time it works.

Originally Posted by Royall View Post
Hi Chellie.... I did use PayPal and did order every thing through the USA warehouse. At least I was thinking I did. Everything I ordered showed USA on it. But the HK site is a hard one to figure out at times. BTW.... Tried to send you a message but I don't have enough posts yet.
just stay on top of PP resolution, in a nice way, and there is a good chance you will get your money back in case of a delivery problem, Take Care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners