Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
BullDog2012

Friends: (1)
Default Stinger 64 EDF

So I purchased this plane and have it all together. I fly a bunch of other planes in the 35-70 mph range (PZ Trojan, PZ Extra 300, Critical Mass, Mini Contender, bunch OF UMX - Gee Bee) however this is my first EDF jet.

Most of my batteries are 1800-2200 20-30c Turnigy from HobbyKing.

I have one 1800 Parkzone Battery. (probably 20C)

I'm flying with A Spectrum DX8.

1.) I see some guys/gals posting problems on here on launch. I know a 20-30C battery is not ideal and a higher rating would be better but will this adversely affect my chances of getting a successful hand launch? I see lots of bad launches and then some people who claim to be flying stock and the plane fly's away easily. I understand you want to throw it into the wind and level or slightly upward at full power. Does the CG typically come out right with a 1800 or 2200 battery? I'd rather not add weight if necessary.

2) My switch on the DX 8 allows 3 settings. What are good settings for mild to wild. I'd like my first few flights to be tame and not to twitchy.

I'd like to setup everything on one switch (ailerons)

I was thinking of doing the following:

Switch position 0= 35% DR Expo 40
Switch position 1= $50% DR Expo 40
Switch position 2= 80% DR Expo 40

I am sorry for the ?s, I dug in a few threads for about 25 minutes but there were so many varied answers. I'm looking for the best setup to minimize risk of crashing on maiden flight.

Any tips?

I know you won't to keep the nose up on landings.

I didn't buy the wheels, that might be a good investment. Does it slow down the plane alot?

Thanks so much!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I was watching two guys flying their Stingers in formation yesterday. Very good pilots. One guy inverted , the other upright. Practically on top of each other. Looked like a Blue angels demo. They were using 2200's.

Check with Fishbonez here on WF. He's a Stinger addict. I fly the skyangel 50mm series(T-45,F-16, Katana) and the Phase3 EF-16. The Phase 3 is the smoothest flyer followed by the T-45 Red Arrows. I actually converted the Katana to a pusher prop and she screams. Not sure about the rates and expo. On mine, I go with ~40% expo for aileron and 30% for elevator. Lipo location for CG is critical.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

I see HK have come out with Vers. 2 Stinger while the origin ( Freewing ) is still selling on the original Vers 1 via RC Castle ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

If the plane has a reputation for being marginal for hand launch then you need all the power your system can give it.
Having a second person who knows how to do a GOOD hand launch helps a lot...

Wheels will slow it some. But takeoff from pavement should be much easier than hand launch. Assuming it has enough power for ROG. (see below)

My big EDF (Nitroplanes Falcon 120, BVM 5612 EVF, 5000 watts) does just over 120 wheels up, 105 max wheels down. Pretty good example of how much speed you lose from hanging wheels under a plane.

My Electrifly F-16 required a slingshot to get it in the air. (full throttle or land... lead brick of a plane) Hand launching was not an option and attempts to use a take off dolly failed. (300 ft paved was not enough)
So enough power to fly does not mean enough to take off...

Note you have a lighter plane with a little more wing, so it should be much less of a pain in the neck than the Electrifly F-16.

I recommend different expos but not different max throws. That would give you full throw available if needed without flipping a switch but it really tames the "twitchyness" of many models. 30%, 50% and 70% expos would give near the same result near stick center as your proposed different rates. Start in the mid position and if its controls are too hot go to higher expo... too mild go to the lower expo.
This is a personal preference issue.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

I'm assuming you purchased version 1 and not MK2. Either way you will enjoy this plane. have only flown this plane with the dx6i, i just purchased a dx8 and have not set it up yet for the Stinger. However I think your setup will be just fine. I tamed my down a lot because in my opinion she is very twitchy. As far as hand toss would go I have to agree with fhhuber on it. Most of the time I have someone toss it for me and it like to torque roll to the left. If it is very windy I can do it myself. On 4s I have never had a problem hand tossing just wants to rip out of your hand. I have also used 3s 1800s and usually 3-5 mins with WOT and mine gives clear warning when time to land with a sort of engine "wobble type noise"
Oh quick note I just put together a MK2 have yet to maiden her. Plan to try Monday

Good luck and please let us know how it went

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Fluxfluid

Friends: (0)

Hi all , don't mean to hijack the thread but I havnt had much response from other forums...
Basically im coming from electric prop planes wot foamy , funfighter warbirds and radjets and now want to venture into the edf world ....
I'm looking at he stinger mk2 and would like to know from others if this would be a good first edf ? can it be flown slowish until I get used to it ? Also does it have any bad tendencys while hand launching / flying .
Can it use 3 cell lipos as I have a handfull of them (also have 4cells, 1800 or 2200 ? ), also are stock components up to the job ? I don't mind changing out bits for better quality as long as it means reliability ...
Sorry for all the questions just thought I'd put it all down while I'm thinking about it

Thanks in advance
Lee
Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Fluxfluid View Post
Basically im coming from electric prop planes wot foamy , funfighter warbirds and radjets and now want to venture into the edf world ....
Based on your experience I think you will be just fine

can it be flown slowish until I get used to it ? Also does it have any bad tendencies while hand launching / flying .
I have someone toss it for me 90 percent of the time. In wind, which the stinger loves, I can confidently throw it on 3s. On 4s I can hand toss it myself because she will have a lot of pull to her. However again I have some one toss it for me because I like having my hands on the controls straight away. A lot of folks like to use a bungee launchers etc

Can it use 3 cell lipos as I have a handfull of them (also have 4cells, 1800 or 2200 ? ),
YEP but you will be happier on 4s in my opinion

also are stock components up to the job ? I don't mind changing out bits for better quality as long as it means reliability ...
I have used the stock items on both version 1 and 2 and never had any problems with the equipment, I have seen others and read of others having problems with the ESC and servos and its my understanding that Hobby-lobby put metal gear servos in there and version 2 does come with metal gear servos and some complain about the control horns but I found no problems with either. A lot of folks like to "hop it up" because it can handle greater speeds than stock but as you know more power less flight time and more weight so thats totally up to you. I tinkered with my Version 1 to try to reach 100 mph but have yet to get there. "I will get 100 mph!!!"

This is all my opinion and I admit the Stinger is one of my favorite planes

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Fluxfluid

Fishbonez..

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer all my questions , I am now satisfied that this is the first edf for me :-) just wish I could get it in the v1 red colour as the mk2 is a bit funky for me :-) I'm sure my kids will love it though ....
Just one more question (until I get the jet anyway ) does the CG work better with 1800 or 2200?

Once again Many thanks...

Lee
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Fishbonez..

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer all my questions , I am now satisfied that this is the first edf for me :-) just wish I could get it in the v1 red colour as the mk2 is a bit funky for me :-) I'm sure my kids will love it though ....
Just one more question (until I get the jet anyway ) does the CG work better with 1800 or 2200?

Once again Many thanks...

Lee
One thing about the paint scheme yea its pink and yea it looks like something out of 1985 but it is far more visible in the air in compared to the red or blue. CG has been spot on with 2200 or an 1800. 2200 takes a bit of a squeeze to get in but it works fine and the 1800 works perfect as well. I use these here

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20754
and
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16196

Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Fluxfluid

Thanks fishbonez... Just put my order in for mk2 stinger ,2200 lipos and some other bits and bobs :-)
Just hope the maiden goes well , it's always the initial launch and how it's going to behave once its in the air that gets my adrenalin going, once I've got control and its flying nice then I start to enjoy it and see what it can do ....
Ill probably dial in a shed load of expo to begin with and slowly wean it off until I'm happy..
Ill let you know how it goes ....
Thanks again ..
Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #11
BullDog2012

The stinger is a great plane! I love mine.

I had 2 excellent flights with mine and kept it in one piece!

It's a great flyer with a good roll rate. I did not hold mine in the finger holes when I launched it. I felt more confident holding onto the fuselage behind the wing and throwing it. I threw mine at about 25 degree angle or at tree lines. Don't use to steep of an angle and try to keep it level, but definitely don't be wimpy with the toss. Watch you tube for some hand launches so you get familiar.

I did have a servo issue but I came down and flat spun with no damage to jet but might have stripped gear. I think I might have stalled it because stuck servo would have probably grenade d it into the ground. I purchase 3 replacement servos for like $15.00.

On my COG, 1600 battery worked perfectly. I can understand 1800 but 2200 just seems way nose heavy to me. Also make sure to use at least a true 30 C battery. Mine came down pretty warm.

Also on the black cowling, it only has 2 small magnets.When you go inverted you risk losing the canopy if the battery is not Velcrod in. I believe the canopy only comes with a new fuselage. Regardless I put on some tape which peeled back the paint but I just fill it in with black sharpie and it looks fine. Rather not lose the canopy. You could probably ad some magnets and it would be perfect.

Be careful on landings, it sometimes likes to nose in, I gave it slight elevator on landing to keep the nose up and prevent it from getting dented up.

You are going love it. Also, It can be tricky for orientation. I think the 2nd version may be much easier even though miami vice style

For what it is worth I ran with 3 different rates and only ran at 75% dual rate as the roll rate is very quick. Next time I'm going use 100%.

I ran 50% expo on everything. It wound up being a good choice.

See if someone can make trim adjustments/corrections as you fly it on the maiden. It helps a bunch.

Good luck
Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

+1 Bulldog
good luck flux and you all feel free to post on my Stinger 64 thread. I enjoy reading and posting exploits of the Stinger http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65076

Old 03-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
smartglider

Default 4S

Hello,
Can I use a 4s 2200 with the original setup?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Smart,

Not advisable. I believe you'll cook the esc in the original stock version. Of course, you can try it. Can't remember but I think the motor is different in the V2 4S version. I'll bet Fish knows.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 03-31-2014, 01:22 AM   #15
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hey there Smart,
Yea I have to say it wont work. I experimented with the idea starting here at post number 121 http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=65076&page=5 about a year before the new MK2 came out.
At a minimum you need a bigger ESC. The smaller motor can take it but again I don't recommend it. It was fun trying though.

If you want the plane to go faster DONs wicked setup works really well but INMHO its not any faster than the MK2 and for the price well...

Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 AM   #16
satnaam

Default Stinger is great flyer.

Mine is running 4S with HET 64mm fan with 2W20 motor. Flys fast and glides great for landings.
satnaam

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets