Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)
Default need opinions on a new plane.

Hello,

I was looking for some ideas for a new plane. I consider myself to be at least a solid beginner, if not intermediate. I have had 4 or 5 planes. First was a slowstick, which I have all but destroyed. I have probablt 2-300 hours or more on this little thing. Its been way overpowered, converted to trike gear, built up as a bipe, I am even working on combining all 3 right now. But, it has been so slow, and so stable, I am sure I'm ready for more.

Second plane was a mus. No matter what I did, I couldn't keep that thing in one peice. I loved it to death, but was doing an hour or two or repairs for ever 20 mins of flying. It was too big of a step for me. I always got scared to bring it in for a landing and would freeze, or throttle it too hard and sumersalt it around on landing. It also flew fast and I felt needed way more room then your basic parkflyer.

Third plane was a alpha 450 sport. I flew the crap out of this, until it was almost no fun. I could hover it, fly inverted, "knife edge" low to the ground, and land it in 15 feet all day. I loved how much faster it was then my slow stick, and how much you could slow it down and land. Loved the trike gear for crosswind takeoffs and landings.

Fourth plane, was an old .25 sized ugly stick, nitro. It was my grandpa's plane. When he passed in 2005, we inherited all of his old planes. This plane flew reletively quick, but was very underpowered compared to all of my other electrics, as well as being fairly heavy for its size. We basically got it going just to kinda remember my grandpa, ad wanted to do something special for his birthday. I was fully capable of flying it, but hated getting it started, and dealing with the nitro mess, and it feeling under powered.

I then built up my slow stick as a bipe, which was a ton of fun for parking space landings, and touch and goes, but the extra wing made it that much slower. On a windy day, you basically only fought the wind, and a top speed of about 30mph made it a bit less fun.

I like the eflight line of arf's. I've flown quite a few other of my dads planes, including his advanced, mini pulse, escapade, and a few other foamies.

Right now I'm leaning twoards a mini ultra stick(still have the wing and tail feathers, broke it in storage), possibly a mini-pulse, or maybe the 34" foamy pitts from hoby king. I am open to any other suggestions.

I have quite a few 9g servo's, several 450-480 and two .10 sized electric motors. I have 1300, 1800, and 2200 3 cells. I wouldn't be apposed to going with 4 cells, and wouldn't mind peicing together a motor setup or buying a new one from headsup.

Right now I am leaning twoards a solid 4 channel, semi symetrical wing oranything really. I didn't much like the balooning of my previous high lift wings, and want something more sporty. Maybe even something along the lines of a pattern plane.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

T-28 Trojan from ParkZone or the new Archer would both be awesome for you.

If you are flying the Alpha inverted without issues - you are not a rookie for sure.

The MUS is fun - the .25 size is funner if you have a club spot (or large spot) it is no park flyer.

I just really love the T-28...
Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Without issue is a reletive term .

I flew my dads mini pulse a bit inverted and found it much easier, because you don't have all the elevator in it to correct for the high lift wing. I could keep it inverted for a couple good loops, maybe a minute or two. I was still a bit afraid to stall it low, so I kept my height up a good bit.

Right now I am really leaning twoards a balsa plane. Not that foam is bad, but I like wood planes more overall. The t-28 is one I haven't really considered.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Foam is many ordinals easier to repair. You should try it.

The T-28 is simply one of the best flying RC airplanes I have ever flown - in 35 years at this.

Mike
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (2)

Don't own one yet....but have to agree with the T-28.....flown two different versions several times now, Parkzone and Dynam........Although I started flying planks with a J3 Cub after flying CCP heli's (my bad).......wish I would have held off a little longer and purchased the Trojan.........Now I'm on a budget which has regulated me to my beater J3 and Slow Sticks.......when things get better, my next purchase will be a Trojan....hands down! (no bells and whistles) just the standard Parkzone 44" PNP.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Have you considered an EPP 3D profile plane? Chellie will barge in here gushing with reasons you need one!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

Check out the E-Flight Pulse. Not really a 3D plane but very aerobatic and guaranteed to get your blood moving. We have a gentleman in our group that flies one and it is a really nice flying plane.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Hmm, a pulse 25 would be more my kinda plane. I'd be pretty limited to where I could fly it till it quits snowing. Our flying feild is a nice little chunk of salt flats. Have a mile or so for take offs and landings, and a pretty good setup if you gotta ditch out at all. But, the sand is really bad when its wet. Pretty common to get stuck out there, and tow trucks won't drive out there.

Gonna lean twoards a parkflyer for now. I just got paid after 5 weeks of waiting, I think I'm gonna hit the hobby shop today, and walk away with something today.

I have a profile flatana right now. Its a cheapie, but I'm afraid if I get a 3d plane going, I'll get sucked in .
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

As always, let me reiterate my love for the GWS Tiger Moth 400. Cheap to build. Sweet and slow. Moderately aerobatic. Mine run on 370-400 size motors and 1300mAh 3S lipos.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Well, I did something I've never done.

I bought a plane I knew nothing about, on impulse. I picked up a top flight mini contender. I think its gonna be a bit of plane for me, but I think I can handle it. It looks like a very strong pattern plane, but with a tiny wing span, only 39" or so if I remember right. Kinda fits in between a mus and a mini pulse, but with trike gear.

I think its the best of both, but has no dihedrial, incidence or decalage. The aleroins are huge, the rudder seems massive, and the elevator adequite. Gonna be a bit more work then I wanted, but I'm happy with it so far. I will update as I get it put together, and we will see if I am going with a 450 and a 10" prop, or the 480 motor with a 4 cell and a 9X6. Mocking up motor and landing gear to find out, then I will deal with weights to decide on battery.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

she looks like fun to fly!!! an eflight 480 can go 10" prop and more,just go with the motor and prop combo so you get unlimited vertical.... this bird won't be to much for your ability from what you describe earlier.

the moves your doing are more in line with getting a 42"ws 3d plane,tone down the throws till your comfortable .then high rates for sport/3d flying. sounds like a 3dhs or similar is in your near future.

get some pictures of the contender going together. it would be great to subscribe to and follow along.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Hello,

I was looking for some ideas for a new plane. I consider myself to be at least a solid beginner, if not intermediate. I have had 4 or 5 planes. First was a slowstick, which I have all but destroyed. I have probablt 2-300 hours or more on this little thing. Its been way overpowered, converted to trike gear, built up as a bipe, I am even working on combining all 3 right now. But, it has been so slow, and so stable, I am sure I'm ready for more.

Second plane was a mus. No matter what I did, I couldn't keep that thing in one peice. I loved it to death, but was doing an hour or two or repairs for ever 20 mins of flying. It was too big of a step for me. I always got scared to bring it in for a landing and would freeze, or throttle it too hard and sumersalt it around on landing. It also flew fast and I felt needed way more room then your basic parkflyer.

Third plane was a alpha 450 sport. I flew the crap out of this, until it was almost no fun. I could hover it, fly inverted, "knife edge" low to the ground, and land it in 15 feet all day. I loved how much faster it was then my slow stick, and how much you could slow it down and land. Loved the trike gear for crosswind takeoffs and landings.

Fourth plane, was an old .25 sized ugly stick, nitro. It was my grandpa's plane. When he passed in 2005, we inherited all of his old planes. This plane flew reletively quick, but was very underpowered compared to all of my other electrics, as well as being fairly heavy for its size. We basically got it going just to kinda remember my grandpa, ad wanted to do something special for his birthday. I was fully capable of flying it, but hated getting it started, and dealing with the nitro mess, and it feeling under powered.

I then built up my slow stick as a bipe, which was a ton of fun for parking space landings, and touch and goes, but the extra wing made it that much slower. On a windy day, you basically only fought the wind, and a top speed of about 30mph made it a bit less fun.

I like the eflight line of arf's. I've flown quite a few other of my dads planes, including his advanced, mini pulse, escapade, and a few other foamies.

Right now I'm leaning twoards a mini ultra stick(still have the wing and tail feathers, broke it in storage), possibly a mini-pulse, or maybe the 34" foamy pitts from hoby king. I am open to any other suggestions.

I have quite a few 9g servo's, several 450-480 and two .10 sized electric motors. I have 1300, 1800, and 2200 3 cells. I wouldn't be apposed to going with 4 cells, and wouldn't mind peicing together a motor setup or buying a new one from headsup.

Right now I am leaning twoards a solid 4 channel, semi symetrical wing oranything really. I didn't much like the balooning of my previous high lift wings, and want something more sporty. Maybe even something along the lines of a pattern plane.
For those that would like somewhat larger models, check out the Katana model:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68844

I've only got three flights on it before the snow and cold weather hit around here, but this is really a very nice, easy to electrify model.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I bought a plane I knew nothing about, on impulse.
Sometimes, you gotta just go for it!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #14
BrianW517

Friends: (0)
Default The Real T-28 Trojan?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711503
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I looked at the parkzone t28 pretty hard, asked some of the hobby shop guys about it. Only car guys last night, so not much help.

I started mocking up some of the peices just to see how everything fit. Its a bit smaller then I imagined, but the rudder and aleroins are scarey big. Battery tray is in the neighborhood of a foot long, the plane is very light. The motormount is offset, which I like. Don't have access to the shop to get all my tools(okay, I've been up since 3am, feeling a bit lazy), so I'm gonna call it good for tonight. I sorta mocked up the cowl, I'm thinking I'm gonna have to stick with my 450 motor, or another 28mm can, but I'll get everything hinged and built so I can guestimate ballance first. Will have to drill two new holes on the motor mount either way.

Thinking about getting some nylon hinges for the elevator and bottom of the rudder. Don't like the rough fiberglass ca hinges that were included. Setup looks really straightforwards, gut gotta get off my lazy butt and find the drill bits really. I think it can wait till morning.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (2)

Here's a link you might find interesting and helpful.........the Top Flight mini will probably be the quickest and most nimble plane you've flown so far if fitted with the recommended 1250 outrunner and 9x6 prop:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1465

Being a balsa....should have great structural intregrity.....she'll certainly demand more respect than you've given those slow sticks.........lol

Nice choice!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Hmm, I just realized I have a rimfire .10 sitting around doing nothing. It is very tempting to finally fly a plane with the recommended setup. I have quite a few options available to me right now.

Rim fire .10 on 3 cells with a 9X6 prop. Can't find numbers with this prop, but I'm guessing mid 250 watts- maybe 300 with a prop change.
Heads up power up 450 sport with a 9X6 prop on 3 cells (32oz of thrust, low amp draw), but is only rated for a MAX of 240 watts. Might be a bit asmatic, but should have pleanty of thrust and room for a higher pitch prop if need be down the road. Still need to see if my favored 10" prop could fit okay for rog takeoffs and landings.
Power up 480 plus, either 3 cells, or 4 cells. 4 cell would be rediculous with this motor, but could have quite a few prop choices here

I also have a couple of hot no name mystery motors in the 400-.10 size that might work just as well.

Gonna have to start building up the plane, mock everything up and see where the ballance will sit, then decide on motor and battery from there. Pleanty of room in that giant battery tray for cg changes without adding any let, and should be able to build it to the same or less weight with any setup I have here already.

Thanks for the link, looks like a good solid flyer.

Couple of quick observations. There are no strings to fish the aleroin servo leads through the wing. I have no idea why there is a bottom hatch, exceppt maybe to make hooking up motor/esc wires easier. The verticle stab and rudder seem to have a slight twist in them, and the monocoat is very loose all over the plane. However, the fit and finish on all parts is very good, the tail fits perfect, and I love the lower dorsal fin. Gonna attempt to fix the saggy covering with the iron before building I think(obviously) and see if I can straighten the verticle stab and rudder, which I don't think would take much.

The aleroins seem to have a slot for a slotted control horn, rather then the screw on ones suplied with the kit, but should till work fine. I was a bit confused at having about 15 wheel colors in the kit, but I see now reading the manual that they are there for the pushrods as well. The landing gear fits perfect, and the wires all have flat spots ground in for the set screws.

Overall, as long as I can mount my control horns straight, I don't see how I could mess this up, knock on wood. I've decided to do a quick assembly thread as I go. Might use the ca hinges over nylon type(nylon is what's shown in the manual as well.), and go from there. But I've never really been known to do things by the book. I am not afraid to make minor changes or use different parts.

Overall, I am happy with it, and the quality of the kit I would say is as good or better then the previous e-flight kits I've delt with.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I bought a plane I knew nothing about, on impulse. I picked up a top flight mini contender.
You will LOVE that plane. I sure am. I just got one about a month ago - and it has been a blast. I flew the original Top Flite way back in the day and it too was an excellent performer.

It too was a competent pattern performer as you mention.

Couple of suggestions. Scrap the included pushrods and use one length of solid wire and I used EZ type connectors. This makes life MUCH easier than the collets and two wire system they recommend. The collets actually get in the way of the wing bolt anyway.

You selected well for your impulse buy.

Mike
Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Here is a review of the Mini Contender:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711503

Mike
Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Mike I wished I had the extra cash to buy one of these when they had the sale going for 55 dollars. They have a great look and the reviews for flying have been great also.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #21
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Yep that is what did it for me - paid all of $60 shipped from Tower. Can't beat that! And I had all the stuff for it - so it was a cheap build for sure....

Mike
Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

I have been spending money setting up 2 planes I couldn't justify spending money for another one to setup.
These will be popping up soon noticed some guys bought 3 and 4 of these. You know they will be showing up soon for sale on the forums.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #23
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Yep your right... I bet Tower has them on sale again soon too.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Hay/Mike,

Looks great. I'll look for the Tower sale. Was almost ready to pull the trigger on the GP Escalade but I think the Contender might be a better , well, a contender ! how well does she ROG?

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

It has no issue with rise of ground. Even grass is not an issue - but I did replace the TINY wheels that came stock with some larger ones.

Mike

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions