Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)
Default Need help identifying this new Biplane

So my brother calls me up and tells me he just bought a RC electric biplane for $100 and wanted to know if I wanted to buy it. I went ahead and bought it because everything looks like it is ready to fly. Came with a Dynam 4 ch TX and a 6 ch rx and a Dynam 2200 mAh 14.8v 25c battery and charger. 50" wingspan. It is foam and snoopy comes off to access controls and battery. It need a new cowl I just need to know what model it is. Any info would be great!

Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

DH Tiger Moth ........

Its one of the early marques as it doesn't have the Anti-Stall Strips forward of the fin ... fitted later.
This is a scale model of the RAF trainer version ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,989 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

I went ahead and bought it because everything looks like it is ready to fly. Came with a Dynam 4 ch TX and a 6 ch rx and a Dynam 2200 mAh 14.8v 25c battery and charger. 50" wingspan. It is foam and snoopy comes off to access controls and battery. It need a new cowl I just need to know what model it is. Any info would be great!

If The Transmitter is Dynam and the battery is Dynam, Then it has to be a Dynam Bi Plane LOL

http://www.rctophobby.com/rc-airplan...l#.Um8UdryZi1E

http://www.marionvillemodels.com/rc-...e_DYN8957.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

That's a nice looking Tiggie ... but pity about the control rod to Rudder being above stab ...

mmmmm nice though .. and second nice to see something without Stars and Bars on it !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

They fly well. The flying wires tend to snap under load, but they are decorative.

I cut a little into the canopy/hatch of mine to fit a 4S 4000 mah. 10+ min flights.
It will fly on a 3S 2200 mah but becomes so light that it can't glide.

Nitroplanes has the cowls in stock at about $6 (+ shipping)

Correct CG is at where the rear cabane struts meet the upper wing.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
They fly well. The flying wires tend to snap under load, but they are decorative...........
mmmmm not so good eh ? Sounds like they should be more functional then if wings are flexing that much ?

Just a thought.

Nigel

Old 10-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

EPO foam with minimal CF inserts to stiffen it. That foam bends under load. No big deal.

The strings used for the flying wires are not much stronger than cotton thread. If they were actual stranded steel or "spider wire" fishing line they would stiffen the plane up a lot. But if not installed correctly you could pull some bad warps into the wings. Its better to just let it flex.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

OK .. being a Biplane lover ... something about a Bipe in the air !

I have used flying wires to actually cure wing twist problems, flexing and also increase control response.

My WW1 Sopwith Strutter in 1980's ... used them to great advantage ... kit was a Veron and designed for 3ch ... but I wanted ailerons as well. Wings were a touch flexy and to get good aileron response needed to get them stiffer without extra weight or structural mods. FW did the trick and using control rod threaded ends and small clevis - I got her tweaked nicely.

Nigel

Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
tr4252

Friends: (3)

Nice to hear that someone else realizes the wires can be used to influence wing shape in a positive way.

I learned this years ago when I had a Lightning sailboat. It's a cute little racing sloop with light, bendy spars, especially the mast. I learned that bending the mast in certain ways by means of stays and shrouds would allow me to control the shape of the main sail; either to deepen the pocket or flatten it depending on the conditions.

Tom
Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by tr4252 View Post
Nice to hear that someone else realizes the wires can be used to influence wing shape in a positive way.

I learned this years ago when I had a Lightning sailboat. It's a cute little racing sloop with light, bendy spars, especially the mast. I learned that bending the mast in certain ways by means of stays and shrouds would allow me to control the shape of the main sail; either to deepen the pocket or flatten it depending on the conditions.

Tom

My Sailboat EOLA ... a Saaremaa 1/4 tonner built for 1980 Olympics .. a series did demo racing during that at Tallinn Estonia. I bought her and kept her racing till I sold her few years back.

The photo is my last race with her ... winning the BaltSail Regatta in 2003.

Mast tweaking was used extensively on race boats and even some cruising jobs ... as well as high performance dinghys ...

Sailing is my other love ... still have 2 sail, 2 motor at my home ...

Nigel

Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25

Think I need some new wiring done to support the wings. To it on a maiden flight last night. The first few minutes were exciting to say the least. It flew a lot like my Beast in that it wanted to fly with a nose-up orientation. Not a floater at all. When I let off the power it wanted to drop like a rock and when I gave it the power it wanted to nose-up and stall. It also had a problem porpoising. It would want to dive then shoot up. As long as I had the power cranking it seemed to fly pretty good. As soon as I let off it was a whole different game.

I managed to fly it 3 times and landed in one piece but it was challenging.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #12
c.sitas

Friends: (0)

When it comes to modern "wires" ,I cheat. I"m also an archer, I make my own strings and such. I use BCY bulk string to make my cables. I use mostly metal clevis's , feed the line through it, superglue the knot on one end . On the other end I use the clevis and a threaded rod with a hole on one end and threads on the other , that way you can adjust until singing tight. once set, guaranteed, no stretch . I shoot 80 pds. pull bows with no stretch whats so ever. Hardly weighs enough to measure. Simple to transport ,just take off the most convenient end ,and tape to the structure. The reason I say tape is ,a turn or two can make a difference.Works a treat and fool proof. This stuuf is like the super line of fishing ,only tougher. Word of caution , don't use your fingers to pull test, you could cut yourself very deep without knowing.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Note... I now have one of that exact Tiger Moth
I fly mine with 3S or 4S 4000 mah (doesn't seem to matter much) without the flying wires.

Flies just fine.

You CAN get a replacement cowl from Nitroplanes.com

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions