Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
dadman

Friends: (0)
Default nippy black and jeti esc combination cut out

I am trying to set up a nippy black 1602/160 motor with a Jetti 18 3p esc. in a j 3 arf weighing 32-26 oz .The motor runs with 1300 mh 11.1 lipos and 2200mh 11.1 lipos for approx 10 min with the 2200 below 3/8 throttle, and near the same with the smaller battery. Cut out happens when you increase to above 3/8 to 1/2 throttle. I am new to elec rc and cant find specs on the motor and the info from Jeti does not seem to work with my esc. I.E procedure for timing does not work the way the instructions indicate. Beeps and indicators do not follow instruction sheet from Jeti. I would really like to maiden this thing but I am not sure 3/8 throttle would be very controllable with my lack of experience. I have approx 25 hours on a bnf supercub by horizon hobby and then i converted it to ailerons and have another 25 hours on that.
These power systems are hard to figure out in laymans terms, loving the hobby but it is mystifing with the too technical or too simple information available. We fried the 40 amp esc on the park 480 set up and i am waiting for the new esc, so I am trying to get airborne with this nippy set up that was known good when removed from a wrecked zero. What the Heck?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Hi dadman. That's some tough material for a new years day morning! And there are people here m much more knowledgeable than me with these things. But I have an idea. You failed to mention the prop you're using and that is a key factor in any power system. It's the motor or esc getting hot? Was there a list of recommended props to go with that motor and the resulting amps that it should be pulling with each prop? My guess, unless there's something special about the motor or esc you got, is that is not a timing issue. You need to have an amp meter when doing these things to see how much power your system is pulling.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

dadman this thread should give you some answers it is a hot motor and needs a 7" prop.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5305
Old 01-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
gramps2161
Community Moderator

Does sound like a timing issue or a cold solder joint can cause a problem also. By the way not a good idea to run a motor on the bench for 10 min. with out some cooling air going over the motor. The center of a prop doesn't provide cooling air over the motor or ESC.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
dadman

Default thanks folks

Very helpful. The lack of available data had me trying a 10x3.8 sf and a 12x8 apc c-2. Sounds like the overprop attempts may have been overheating it or my lack of frontal cooling (I was ignorant of bench test running was undercooling the set up). Is it ok to bench run if you run em in a makeshift wind tunnel with a fan?
I am in a location where i am limited on tools and my meter is unavailable.
I dont know what normal is but the esc and the motor were generating heat. The esc more than the motor for sure. From the posts you guys lead me to I am thinking a smaller prop might make this set up work for this 36 oz cub. Is it reasonable to assume that motor amp draw testing under running conditions will reveal whether the 18 amp ecs is being overloaded?
If so that is a test I could use to adjust the prop size based on actual stress experienced by the motor and not exceed the ecs amperage?
Sorry to sound like a dope here. Good answers lead to more questions
Thanks all
Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
gramps2161
Community Moderator

dadman you don't sound like a dope sound like a person learning like the rest of us. Heck I am still learning new things been doing it for about 6 years now.

If you use a fan blowing over the motor and ESC it will help to cool it off. Saves you from burning up ESC and motors.
You might have sent the ESC into thermal shut down if it gets to hot it will kill the power to save it's self. Just do short run ups not a good idea to just run it for that long. But with out a wattmeter you won't know what your drawing for amp's. Hope you can get your meter soon I couldn't live with out one.
Good luck and it should fly the plane just won't be over powered.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 AM   #7
dadman

Default thanks again

All advice taken with thanks,again. Will post results when available.
Happy Hovering...
Dadman

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions