Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Mivins
Marty

Club: Osprey Homestead FL
Friends: (0)
Default $75.00 Build Contest, BudLight Flyer

30" Wingspan, beer carton refuse container wing, tail, wheel, and fuselage surfaces. I got enthused about building with this type of material to encourage newbies to build similar planes with foam and cardboard as dirt cheap trainers. This one should be a bit more performance oriented. We'll see.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Good call on the recyclable plane build. I stumbled across a guy that built a few neat cardboard planes that flew good, and nice designs too.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...airplanes&sm=3

Looking forward to seeing your plane.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
Mivins
Marty

Default Plan Sketch

My first attempt to post a pic. Lets see if it works, this my preliminary plan.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,026 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Hi Mivins Welcome To Wattflyers, sounds like a interesting build Good luck on the Build, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

I Think It will Fly better if you use Miller Lite containers and boxes LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Mivins
Marty

Default Its gotta be Budlight!

I gotta stick with the BudLight concept, because I know it can be flown. Plus, I've already glued up a bunch of important parts. Used some concept stuff I picked up from Chellie's tutorial about a year ago on using foam board ribs, I just substituted beer cardboard for the foam wing. I'm not a fan of hot glue and found that Elmer's yellow wood glue soaks nicely into the cardboard and foam cell structure and makes a nice welded joint that is stronger than the two parts at the juncture. Kinda like CA and two pieces of balsa. Wing stuff coming along:

And here's why we know the BudLight stuff can be flown:
Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Your plane is looking great, Dont forget that I get to do the Maiden Flight on it LOL

Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
Mivins
Marty

Default Headline: Expert Test Pilot Secured for BudLight Flyer Maiden

I just sent a notice to Anheiser Busch that we have a converted Miller Lite lover in charge of the maiden flight of their much aclaimed new advertising ploy. I hope they don't quash the opportunity to use a top notch pilot like Chellie just because of her past poor taste in hops.

Today I did a little further wing detail work.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
Mivins
Marty

I'm making more progress on the plane than the posts, so here is the latest update. Mockup of airframe components to ascertain that the wing saddle doesn't have to be moved to make it work. I hate adding dead weight to a model, says poor design.

The fuselage and all its parts to check for weight and balance:

tail assembly ready to mount, kind of heavy.
top view nested.
looks like its gonna be fast.

Fuselage budlight case cardboard with 1/16” sq balsa stringers
Tail assemblies case cardboard and balsa w/ pinned nylon hinges
Airframe all up without landing gear 237 grams

FUSELAGE: The basic structure is almost entirely the exterior material comprising the strength and only uses 1/16” square balsa strip stringers to form a glue surface, Since the fuselage skin is cut first, the backwards logic of making the bulkheads and motor mount to fit the exterior is necessary to have a tight fit. I first matched the fuse sides and then glued the square strips to their edges – allowed to set, then the bottom was glued up attending to square and plumb alignment on the table in three steps just like the wing, center square section first – allowed to set, tail section, then the front end. The top covers are left off to facilitate the fitting of a firewall of scrap plywood, a built-up bulk just ahead of the wing mount, one behind the wing mount, one about where the front of the stabilizer will attach, and a piece of trailing edge balsa is fitted into the tail vee joint. The magnetic hatch is cut after the glues are all setup and done, reinforced with balsa strips and cardboard. Tail skid is glued up scrap piece of an expired credit card as well as the clamp for the landing gear wire. (That plastic will take a lot of punishment even after it won’t buy anything.) I used Elmer’s Yellow Wood Glue for about everything on this plane which means a lot of drying times when many steps are required, but it is very strong with cardboard construction. I did mount the wing attachment block and wire with 5 minute epoxy, because I wanted to finish the wing. Hope it doesn’t come back to bite me. To finish the fuselage, the bottom 1/3 or so of an 8 oz. BudLight can was used for the motor cowling. (Not always available, but available in Florida through the holidays the past three years, you might want to save a couple, I think I will.) This thing is bound to crash before I get tired of it.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Mivins
Marty

Default Update 2-15-14

Looks time is winding down, and I think the plane is ready, but my video equipment isn't, well, I guess I can always use the phone, but it won't be the same, I have a dumb phone.

Here's the cost and junk list:

BUDLIGHT Flyer - All beer case plane Marty Ivins Jan. 2014

Wingspan 30” 8-1/4” width and 1” chord w/large barndoor ailerons 239.5 sqin
Foam board ribs, skewers leading edge, 1/16 ” sq balsa trailing edge, pintype hidden robart hinges.
Fuselage budlight case cardboard with 1/16” sq balsa stringers
Tail assemblies case cardboard and balsa w/ pinned nylon hinges
Airframe all up without landing gear 237 grams, all up ready to fly 550 grams.

Plane materials I had to purchase:
Control tubes and wires for tail & ailerons $3.00
Control horns tail $ .75
4-40 screws for motor and landing gear $1.80
Music wire for landing gear $1.19
Hinges for tail $1.99
Hinges for ailerons $3.48
Nylon wing screws $ .78
Foam board for ribs $1.00
Foam tire material (for 20 ft)used 6.5” $2.98
Misc scrap balsa for reinforcement and stringers $1.50
Glue , Elmer’s yellow wood glue (8 oz.) used 1 oz. $2.49
Build Cost $20.96

Complete cost of plane to include everything:
Motor $6.73
ESC $7.70
Battery $9.67
Prop $1.20
Hub $1.89
Servos 4 at 2.79 $11.16
Receiver $11.53
Hardware Cost $49.88

Total Airplane Cost $70.84
I know the electric part isn’t to count, but I added it up anyway!
I didn’t add in all the beer I had to drink up to get enough carton
Material to be able to match up the the logos.
Motor:
Spec.
Battery: 2~3 Cell /7.4~11.1V
RPM: 1200kv
Max current: 16A
No load current: 11.1V/0.8A
Weight: 57g
Diameter of shaft: 3mm
Dimensions: 30mmx50.7mm
ESC
Spec.
Weight: 22g

Max Current: 25A
Mini 9g servo
BATTERY
1000mAh 3S 11.1v 20C/30c Lipo Battery Pack

Basic construction scheme with beer carton build is an exo-skelaton design. Major structures of carton material are cut to finished size and glued to finished shape using various materials to form and reinforce the final contours of the design. (Its kinda backwards from typical airframe construction.)

WING: The ribs are fitted to the final covering to make the shape and glued into place, in this case in three steps: rear descending portion of the rib - allowed to set, front portion from chord apex to the leading edge notch – allowed to set, then wrapped over a BBQ skew – allowed to set. Wing is then fitted for dihedral – glued, reinforced with fiberglas drywall sticky tape – glued - allowed to set. Notches are cut for barn door ailerons with adequate room for leading and trailing edges of the mated surfaces – I used balsa strips glued and allowed to set – then cut the ailerons out of the wing. Since there is no free space at the joint in the hinged area and I didn’t want to slice any of the logo away, I elected to use Robart’s pin type hinges and notch the wing and aileron for a hidden hinge flush fit. Dual servos were used for adequate torque and simplicity.
FUSELAGE: The basic structure is almost entirely the exterior material comprising the strength and only uses 1/16” square balsa strip stringers to form a glue surface, Since the fuselage skin is cut first, the backwards logic of making the bulkheads and motor mount to fit the exterior is necessary to have a tight fit. I first matched the fuse sides and then glued the square strips to their edges – allowed to set, then the bottom was glued up attending to square and plumb alignment on the table in three steps just like the wing, center square section first – allowed to set, tail section, then the front end. The top covers are left off to facilitate the fitting of a firewall of scrap plywood, a built-up bulk just ahead of the wing mount, one behind the wing mount, one about where the front of the stabilizer will attach, and a piece of trailing edge balsa is fitted into the tail vee joint. The magnetic hatch is cut after the glues are all setup and done, reinforced with balsa strips and cardboard. Tail skid is glued up scrap piece of an expired credit card as well as the clamp for the landing gear wire. (That plastic will take a lot of punishment even after it won’t buy anything.) I used Elmer’s Yellow Wood Glue for about everything on this plane which means a lot of drying times when many steps are required, but it is very strong with cardboard construction. I did mount the wing attachment block and wire with 5 minute epoxy, because I wanted to finish the wing. Hope it doesn’t come back to bite me. To finish the fuselage, the bottom 1/3 or so of an 8 oz. BudLight can was used for the motor cowling. (Not always available, but available in Florida through the holidays the past three years, you might want to save a couple, I think I will.)

LANDING GEAR: Music wire was bent to make a two piece sprung axle cradle fastened to the bottom of the fuselage with 4-40 screws and a scrap credit card mounting plate. Wheels and tires are made from beer carton material dampened then pressed into the indentation at the bottom of a beer car to shape the dished out portion of the wheel with two pieces per wheel. A dowel rod is center drilled to fit the axle and cut to fit inside the two dished halves of the wheel – glued, then fitted with the foam caulking saver strip material that has been half slit through glued around the edges. (Making these wheels is definitely more work than they’re worth, but after much disappointment, I just wouldn’t quit until I had something that worked.)

Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow, I'll attempt a maiden and con someone into videoing it for me. Wish me luck, I know it will fly, I just want to fly it more than once!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

That Looks Nice Waiting for the video

Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
Mivins
Marty

Default Hopefully ready to go

Thanx Chellie: Say, you said you wanted to do the maiden on this fizzer, can you be here tomorrow morning about 9:30 am EST? I then could do the video myself.

Should be a very eventful flying day: two repaired planes, and one new one to trim and fly. I need to write on the back of my hand: "Make sure you have the correct model up in the transmitter before take off!!!!!!!"

Old 02-15-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Mivins the Bud plane is looking good hope you have a great first flight, and I hear you on the correct model on the TX. Might of done that once or twice myself wrong model that is.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Darn, A little short of funds for a airline ticket to go fly your plane so it will have to be next time I have taken off with the Model in the wrong mode in the transmitter too, I learned the hard way, Lay the plane in front of yourself, pointed away from you, and check all the control surfaces for proper operation before taking off, it only takes a few seconds and will save hours of repair time Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 02-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Mivins
Marty

Default It Flys!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Budlight Flyer does indeedy fly. A bit of adjusting, and tweaking, no twerking, should make it a nicely responsive flyer. I just had to get it in the air today, despite the much higher than predicted winds. Take off was at about 45 degrees and no roll tendency due to the way too active orange rxstabilizer. I forgot that even on significantly reduced transmitter input settings the stabilizer goes for the full throw at a average rate, and boy did it flex the ailerons. They quit flapping right and left as soon as I reduced the throttle to about 1/4 which was plenty for cruising and trimming. I elected to do a one turn around and land to prevent damage to the airframe. Nothing broke, but I landed pretty hot and my cameraman lost the plane in the sun.

I'll get some better video before the end of the month. It flys, what can I say?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Mivins View Post
The Budlight Flyer does indeedy fly. A bit of adjusting, and tweaking, no twerking, should make it a nicely responsive flyer. I just had to get it in the air today, despite the much higher than predicted winds. Take off was at about 45 degrees and no roll tendency due to the way too active orange rxstabilizer. I forgot that even on significantly reduced transmitter input settings the stabilizer goes for the full throw at a average rate, and boy did it flex the ailerons. They quit flapping right and left as soon as I reduced the throttle to about 1/4 which was plenty for cruising and trimming. I elected to do a one turn around and land to prevent damage to the airframe. Nothing broke, but I landed pretty hot and my cameraman lost the plane in the sun.

I'll get some better video before the end of the month. It flys, what can I say?
Good job It Flies with a little less wind and getting it tweaked out, it should be a great flier, Take care, Chellie

Old 03-01-2014, 01:05 AM   #17
Mivins
Marty

Default Final proof of craft airworthyness video!

Well, we got some decent weather, and the new runway was to be complete today, which wasn't. Nor was the weather that outstanding; however with the help of Cush a very noob RC aircraft observer and great cinephotographer I have this the final chapter in the $75.00 Budlight Flyer contest chapter. I can't complain about the weather here in Southern Florida, so here it is on time and it does fly as designed. Not likely a winning entry, but a very eye catching and fun to fly entry. This plane will be my fun plane for the next few months. Marty

http://youtu.be/2m4CZBfPG5E

100%
Old 03-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Mivins View Post
Well, we got some decent weather, and the new runway was to be complete today, which wasn't. Nor was the weather that outstanding; however with the help of Cush a very noob RC aircraft observer and great cinephotographer I have this the final chapter in the $75.00 Budlight Flyer contest chapter. I can't complain about the weather here in Southern Florida, so here it is on time and it does fly as designed. Not likely a winning entry, but a very eye catching and fun to fly entry. This plane will be my fun plane for the next few months. Marty

http://youtu.be/2m4CZBfPG5E

100%
Great Job Marty Your Plane looks Good and Flies Great, You were having Way To Much Fun Flying It Good luck to you in the Contest, Chellie

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft