Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Hugh Laurie ... talent ...

It's easy to just think of him as 'House' ... the tyrannical genius doctor with a self-destructive gene ... and forget his other abilities.

When on British TV -it was well known in UK about his musical talent as well as comedy... but then the hit TV series House came about - and that's a story in itself as to how he ended up with the starring role !

But just quietly shuffling through Youtube waiting for a ship to finish its cargo transfer - this came up ...

I have been sitting here watching this ... words fail me ... I'm a great John Lee Hooker and Blues fan ... this just hits that spot.

I hope you enjoy as much as I am ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I too was shocked when I first heard this. He talks about his music in interviews.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I too was shocked when I first heard this. He talks about his music in interviews.
I wasn't shocked as I've heard him play on Brit TV ... but never a long session.

If you want to see his comedy ability ... Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie were a team for ages on Brit TV ... any of the shows / sketches are worth the view.. and of course his part in Black Adder series.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I think I heard the story where when he auditioned for house he was not well known (here) and did the interview in an American accent and they didn't know he was a brit!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I was surprised to find out he was British, until I watched Steve and fry and remembered some of the skits.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I think I heard the story where when he auditioned for house he was not well known (here) and did the interview in an American accent and they didn't know he was a brit!
That's the story and also that it was in a hotel room shower ...

According to Wiki :

When casting for the part started, Shore was afraid that in "the wrong hands", House would "just be hateful".[73] The casting directors were looking for someone who could, as Shore described, "do these horrible things and be somehow likable without just, you know, petting a kitten".
When Laurie was asked to audition for the role of House, he was filming Flight of the Phoenix in Namibia. Laurie had no big expectations for the show, thinking that it would only "run for a few weeks". He planned to audition for the roles of both James Wilson and Gregory House. However, when he read that Wilson was a character with a "handsome open face", he decided to audition solely for the role of House. Laurie chose not to change his clothing, but to remain in the costume he wore for the film; he also decided not to shave his beard. He put together an audition tape of his own in a Namibian hotel bathroom, the only place with enough light, while his Flight of the Phoenix co-stars Jacob Vargas and Scott Michael Campbell held the camera. He improvised by using an umbrella for a cane. Laurie initially believed that James Wilson would be the protagonist of the show after reading the brief description of the character and did not find out that House was the main character until he read the full script of the pilot episode.
After he had watched casting tapes for the pilot episode, Bryan Singer grew frustrated and refused to consider any more British actors because of their flawed American accents. Although Singer compared Laurie's audition tape to an "Osama bin Laden video", he was impressed with Laurie's acting and, not knowing who he was, Singer was fooled by his American accent. He commented on how well the "American actor" was able to grasp the character, not knowing about Laurie's British nationality.
Although Laurie's appearance was very different from the way Shore pictured House, when he watched the audition tape, he was equally impressed as Singer. More famous actors such as Denis Leary, Rob Morrow and Patrick Dempsey were also considered, but Singer, Shore, and executive producers Paul Attanasio and Katie Jacobs all thought Laurie was the best option and decided to cast him for the part. Laurie was the final actor to join the cast of House. After he was chosen for the part, Laurie, whose father Ran Laurie was a doctor himself, said he felt guilty for "being paid more to become a fake version of my own father". Adopting an American accent for his role has been difficult for Laurie (who is British), who said words such as "coronary artery" are particularly tricky to pronounce
Nigel

Old 01-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Mivins
Marty

Club: Osprey Homestead FL
Friends: (0)
Default Far off topic, I love House

Seems I haven't posted enough to send a personal email or message to you, so I'll embed one here:

Nigel, thanks for the how to on the enter the $75.00 contest. I'm in but now must ask, how do I put pics and the like into a thread? Any way to just copy them in with control V? Notice that some have small icon type pics that expand when selected, how is that done? Or, perhaps, where is the guide for that? MI
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

upload them to a file sharing service. I use photobucket.

just start a new thread and put $75 contest in the title.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Mivins View Post
Seems I haven't posted enough to send a personal email or message to you, so I'll embed one here:

Nigel, thanks for the how to on the enter the $75.00 contest. I'm in but now must ask, how do I put pics and the like into a thread? Any way to just copy them in with control V? Notice that some have small icon type pics that expand when selected, how is that done? Or, perhaps, where is the guide for that? MI
There are two ways to do it ...

Icon expanding style : (Good for general photos where you don't need great close up detail)
First is to scroll down below where you enter text ... you will find a grey box with "Manage Attachments" ... click on that and you can then browse your PC to upload pictures / zip files / PDF's ... the list and max size of files is listed when you click on that button.
This gives you the Icon style that expands when you click on the icon.

Embedded photo in text : (this gives larger and better close up detail particularly good when showing methods in builds ... but incurs load up time for person viewing)
Register for a Photo Hosting site such as Photobucket. Upload your photos. Once uploaded, you need to select and copy the IMG code that is displayed for each photo.
Paste that code into your text post here and the post will call that photo up from Photobucket to display.

Do not move the photo later on Photobucket - if you do - the link will be broken and no photo will display.

Videos are a little different. My way is to upload to Youtube ... then when you have the list of videos on screen ... pass cursor over desired video ... click with right button .. Left click "COPY SHORTCUT" .... paste that into your text here ...

The methods above work for nearly all forums and there usually is no need to use the 'quick insert' buttons above the dialogue box.

Hope that makes sense ....

Nigel

Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

That video was very Enjoyable Nigel Thanks for Sharing

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Hugh is a great actor. My other all time British favorite is Emma Thompson. Go see " Saving Mr. Banks" w/ Tom Hanks and Emma. A very well done movie. If you're old enough to remember Mary Poppins like I am , the film will have special resonance.

She steals the show. I'd be surprised if she doesn't win Best Actor this year.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

LOL! Thanks for sharing this one, Nigel. Love it!

Those sneaky Brits again! Didn't we already broach the subject of Brits doing the American accent better than the other way around? I was surprised to find The Walking Dead's southern sheriff character played by a Brit, as well as a few others on the show. Then just yesterday, I found out Dusty Springfield is another Briton. (Maybe everyone else knew, surprised me.) Who next?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson go way back and were involved with each other.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
LOL! Thanks for sharing this one, Nigel. Love it!

Those sneaky Brits again! Didn't we already broach the subject of Brits doing the American accent better than the other way around? I was surprised to find The Walking Dead's southern sheriff character played by a Brit, as well as a few others on the show. Then just yesterday, I found out Dusty Springfield is another Briton. (Maybe everyone else knew, surprised me.) Who next?
Dusty ! Now there's a name ... Great voice ... she could bang out a ballad ... but she fell from grace when it got known she was not interested in men ... I have a load of her songs on my PC ..

OK - while we're on this sort of jig ... a UK singer was specially flown to USA by a US President to sing at inauguration ... she's actually listed in Guinness Book of Records ... she was not a great friend of general high society but was a favourite of the Queen. She was regarded as too 'sexy' in lyrics at one time for BBC Pop shows ... Shirley Bassey.
She sang Diamonds are Forever, Goldfinger as example for Bond Movies. She was still banging out hard loud ballads well into her 60's ... played a large US concert in fact late in her 60's ...

Nigel

Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

+1 on Shirley ! Great Singer.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
+1 on Shirley ! Great Singer.
And I think it would be a safe bet to say that our Chelliemost likely has a soft spot for ...............

Tom Jones.

Nigel

Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

What's New cat, Whoa o whoa o whoa.... LOL
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
What's New cat, Whoa o whoa o whoa.... LOL
The relevant song I reckon .... Baby it's cold outside !

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat