Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)
Default Turnigy 9XR everyman review

As I was researching which transmitter to purchase I found a ton of reviews on the 9XR.
Unfortunately most where written by fans and users of the older 9X and then commented
on by those that bash anything inexpensive from China.

Those reviews tended to lean heavy to the modding capabilities and whether it was actually
better than the 9X. There are how-ever those of us who couldn't care less than modding the thing and just want a solid transmitter that does what we want it to do.

So does it? Let's have a look see.

First of all, it feels a little cheap. The shiny chromed plastic buttons don't have a quality feel to them. The switches operate well but also have a cheap finish to them. And the pots look like they come off of a kids toy. The pots also don't have a notch to let you feel when they are centered. More about that later.
The sticks how-ever feel great. The gimbals feel smooth and have just the right amount of resistance in the springs.

The switch placement is ok. Not the best, and not the worst but if you have smaller hands I can see difficulties in reaching the top switches comfortably.
That aside, it is very comfortable to hold and is somewhat light weight. You can easily use it all day without having to use a neck strap to support it.
All in all it does not have the quality looks and feel of a $500 name brand transmitter, but at $50 it is also not 1/10 the quality either.

The real beauty of the 9XR is in what it can do at 1/10th the price.
To find that out though means going online and finding a manual for it. It doesn't come with one. You can figure out basic settings without one if you have used a programmable radio before but the really nice stuff is hidden in menus that require special keypresses to get to.
I've only started to scratch the surface of what it is capable of but here are a couple of my favorites so far.
Every switch is programmable to do anything you want, including the trainer switch.
Even though the pots have no centering notch they can be programmed to audibly beep when centered.
And my favorite so far, you can program a trim switch. You can assign a switch to instantly set the sub trim to what ever the stick and trim adjustments are at that moment then center the trims. To me this is invaluable. If you tend to fly alone this is a must have.
How many times have you maiden-ed a new plane and struggled moving fingers from sticks to trim switches and back again and repeating this over again till everything was trimmed properly. Now imagine maintaining level flight with the sticks in whatever position they are to do so and flicking a single switch with a free finger. Once the switch is activated it programs the sub trim to reflect what position the sticks where in and like magic, you plane is trimmed.

If you are looking to move up from a basic radio I can not recommend the 9XR enough.
I have owned a DX6i, DX7, and would never use em again after this.
No, it is not a Futaba or a Hitec. And it doesn't feel like one either. It's also just 10% of the price and does everything just as well. And more.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Thanks for the review. Reading the very long RCG thread it sure appears that they still have some quality issues (buttons as you mention).

Guys are selling them over there pretty regularly due to the gymbals and case cracking issues.

I am looking forward to the FrSky Taranis and am very much hoping the quality is there. To me that is simply a not negotiable item on the transmitter - the single most important RC purchase IMHO.

Thanks for your impressions!

Mike
Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

No disrespect but at end of day er9x is used on a 9x base to produce the 9xr ...... Ok so new case and a few additions here and there ...... reading the 9xr reviews, the 9x which has stood test of time appears to still be top of the pile ... add er9x and you have the same.

My wait is for the i10 to come on market from FlySky ... the new top of the range FS model. Until then my 2 9x's will carry on delivering the goods.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Thanks for the review. Reading the very long RCG thread it sure appears that they still have some quality issues (buttons as you mention).

Guys are selling them over there pretty regularly due to the gymbals and case cracking issues.

I am looking forward to the FrSky Taranis and am very much hoping the quality is there. To me that is simply a not negotiable item on the transmitter - the single most important RC purchase IMHO.

Thanks for your impressions!

Mike
I've read through that thread as well. But I tend to take a lot of what I read, especially negative comments, with a grain of salt.
People that are happy with no complaints generally don't go online to tell others about it.People generally go online to get help with a problem.
This leads to online discussions being heavily slanted towards negative experiences which can lead a reader to get the impression that the every item sold is faulty.
This happens on most sites I belong to. If you read through car forums you'd think every car ever sold was a lemon.

I agree that the quality could be better. But for the price it is on par with what I expected.

Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
No disrespect but at end of day er9x is used on a 9x base to produce the 9xr ...... Ok so new case and a few additions here and there ...... reading the 9xr reviews, the 9x which has stood test of time appears to still be top of the pile ... add er9x and you have the same.

My wait is for the i10 to come on market from FlySky ... the new top of the range FS model. Until then my 2 9x's will carry on delivering the goods.

Nigel
True on many accounts. But If you are in the market for an inexpensive radio and want the backlight display and other features you can get on the 9XR without wanting to modify anything than it is the better option.
If I'd had the luxury of being able to wait to buy a radio then I too would have waited for some of the new models coming out later this year.
But many folks need something today. They may be coming back to the hobby as I am and need the features but are on a budget. Or they finally got their first model that requires mixing or channels capabilities that their current radio can't deliver. They also need something right now.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
I've read through that thread as well. But I tend to take a lot of what I read, especially negative comments, with a grain of salt.
People that are happy with no complaints generally don't go online to tell others about it.People generally go online to get help with a problem.
This leads to online discussions being heavily slanted towards negative experiences which can lead a reader to get the impression that the every item sold is faulty.
This happens on most sites I belong to. If you read through car forums you'd think every car ever sold was a lemon.

I agree that the quality could be better. But for the price it is on par with what I expected.
I fully agree you go online to complain not brag (for the most part).

But my Turnigy/HobbyKing product experience shows less than stellar QC across the board. I guess I am one that won't trust a TX to that. Good we all have a choice!

The Taranis looks worth a look too - I thought it was supposed to be out by now - but still don't see that in stock at Aloft.

Mike
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

The Taranis looks worth a look too - I thought it was supposed to be out by now - but still don't see that in stock at Aloft.

Mike
When you look at the pictures currently available - the 3 look very similar ... slim, with large display etc. etc. Taranis, 9xr, i10

Is FS producing again for other labels ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

No the 9xr at least is NOT similar at all with the Taranis - it looks more like a JR box knock off. I don't think there is any affiliation - at least in the box. Maybe some on the open source software?

Not familiar with the i10.

Mike
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

No the 9xr at least is NOT similar at all with the Taranis - it looks more like a JR box knock off. I don't think there is any affiliation - at least in the box. Maybe some on the open source software?

Not familiar with the i10.

Mike
I cannot see a brand going to the hassle of building own gear ... when people like FS have been supplying base units to many for years. Alterations to case design are easy - it's the internals that are the killer for setting up a production.

The 9xr is well known to be an er9x .....

The i10 is FlySky's new top range radio still in test ...

Taranis .... that as I understood should have been out already but is not .... mmmmmmmmmmm

Nigel

Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
bobcom52

Friends: (0)

We have two of these radios at our field. Both purchased as soon as available. Fitted with Frsky modules and LiFe batteries.

Both have operated faultlessly so far. Mine gets a lot of use as I am the flying instructor.

I have only two complaints; it doesn't have a real time clock to tell me when it is time to go home and it doesn't make coffee.

regards
Bob Comerford
Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
bluzjamer

Club: South County R C Club, Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (4)

Have my name in at Aloft and am waiting for a chance at a Taranis. A little more money than the 9x but a lot more radio and still less than the SD10G and A-9. I have both and they are good but the rx's are too high. Frsky looks to have a winner.

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

9xr is produced by Hextronic .... so is not FS.

OK - initial thoughts after using 9xr ... I prefer my 9x to be honest.

The Throttle stick too close to the pot and Elevator DR switch when WOT ... I am a finger and thumb person and my index finger hits the pot when I give WOT.

The radio is 'too' light ... having been used to JR's etc. over many years.

Going for Trims ... strange shape compared to normal 'button' had me scrabbling for trims ... BUT the set trims to SubTrim function is amazing !! I set the Trainer switch to do this ... trim the model, flick the switch and bingo all set.

I preferred the carrying handle at back like the old JR and 9x's ...

Overall ? Yes I like it even though the programming is driving me nuts at moment having got used to 9x.

I'm sure that once I get used to the different ergonomics - I shall love it.

Nigel

Old 02-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

I think the 9xr is great so far, although completely different than the 9x. I don't find it feels cheap at all, and all switches seems as solid as they need to be.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
Wrongway-Feldman

It's been nearly a year now since I've started using this transmitter and so far so good.
Everything still works like it did when new.
I must admit that I haven't used most of the advanced features available as I have not needed them yet.
I'm still using the stock firmware, but only because I keep forgetting to order the USB interface to program it. Although I can't really see how opentx will let me do anything better than stock with the limited functions I use.
I must admit that I've been toying with the idea of getting a taranis but also can't see it will be better at what I need it to do.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros