Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
eagle33

Club: Dallas Electric Aircraft Flyers (DEAF)
Friends: (1)
Default Spektrum Maintence

I have a Spektrum Dx6i transmitter which is seven years old. I'm not having a problem with it. Should I send this to the Spektrum folks for routine maintenance considering its age? Or should I just wait until something goes wrong and then send it?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Surely by now you must have heard of their legendary service?! What sorry of maintenance does it need? If it was simple and I didn't have some sort of backup maybe I'd do it myself. Also, have you checked their site to see if yours is one on their recall list? You may get more fixes than you thought you need, and they often do it for free.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Early AM and FM RC transmitters needed to be sent in every year for re-tuning.

Modern radios don't need that. Even the cheaper AM and FM radios made after appx 1990 will work for many years without any frequency drift.

2.4 ghz radios have no frequency drift issues.

It won't hurt to send it in for a checkout and cleaning... but its not needed unless it shows evidence of problems.

The battery may need to be cycle tested if it has a NiCd or NiMh. After about 4 or 5 years I'd replace a NiCd or NiMh TX battery just to be safe.
I believe the DX6i uses alkaline (disposable) AA cells though.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by eagle33 View Post
I have a Spektrum Dx6i transmitter which is seven years old. I'm not having a problem with it. Should I send this to the Spektrum folks for routine maintenance considering its age? Or should I just wait until something goes wrong and then send it?
I believe the DX6i had a recall in 2009:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/article/...onsumer-notice

If yours is one of those that has the listed recall codes, you may want to consider sending it in.

Most of the DX6i came with rechargable Ni-MH 1500mah, 1.2v AA batteries......if yours are original, consider replacing in-kind.

AMA 928214
Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I would not send it off - as frankly you are likely close to "end-of-life" for a low"ish" end box. Time for an upgrade and a apply that cost to a new box! Then you have a good TX for backup use.

Mike
Old 04-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Ugh! I was PWI: Posting While under the Influence, of drowsiness! Sorry Eagle33. If there's nothing wrong with it, I guess I'd still see if it was a recall one, but if it ain't broke...
Old 04-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
eagle33

Club: Dallas Electric Aircraft Flyers (DEAF)

Thanks guys. My transmitter is not one that was subject to recall so I'm going to sit tight and see about getting a Spektrum 7 or 8 in the near future
Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Thanks guys. My transmitter is not one that was subject to recall so I'm going to sit tight and see about getting a Spektrum 7 or 8 in the near future
Yep both are great. The dx9 even better, if you can swing it.

Hawk will sell you his - he is going the DX18 v2 anyway....
Old 04-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Several years ago I sent in my 5 year old Spektrum DX7 transmitter, along with a half dozen Spektrum receivers for a "Factory Checkover", just for peace of mind. They checked everything out, all was within specs.

Got them back in 7 days, with a note indicating, for customer satisfaction, No Charge. They even paid return shipping.

FYI, Horizon Hobby has a history of doing this sort of thing.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 AM   #10
swimmer

Friends: (2)

In that amount of time I'm surprised one or more of the trim switch actuators has not broken. I sent my DX6i in after four years for actuator replacement after I broke one of them. They replaced all of them and gave it a thorough inspection from which they determined the gimbals should be replaced. All this, no charge and sent it back postage paid. I'd call that great customer service.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 AM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
In that amount of time I'm surprised one or more of the trim switch actuators has not broken. I sent my DX6i in after four years for actuator replacement after I broke one of them. They replaced all of them and gave it a thorough inspection from which they determined the gimbals should be replaced. All this, no charge and sent it back postage paid. I'd call that great customer service.
Typical Horizon Hobby service.

Several years ago, one of my club members had a Spektrum DX7 that every so often would loose its bind to the receiver during power up. Never lost a model, just had to rebind all the time.

He sent it into Horizon with documentation on the problem. They couldn't verify it. So, Horizon returned a brand new, out of the box DX7 transmitter. No charge.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros