Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
Bald Paul

View Bald Paul's Gallery6
Club: Western Carolina RC
Friends: (4)
Default Idea for forming wire landing gear

Having just received my new K&S Mighty Wire Bender tool, I got to work making the landing gear for my next project - a version of the Tiger 60.

This plane design uses two wire gear set into mounting blocks in the wing. I have the size and shape required and printed out. On to the bending!

Bend #1 - a right angle. Wow, this works really well! Bend #2 - another right angle, this one opposite the first, but in the same plane. Meet issue #1 - the tool is designed to be able to coil wire, so the handle is actually at an angle. If you don't match the angle, your second bend won't be in the same plane. Issue #2 - trying to figure out exactly where to make the second bend so the finished product matches the printout. Repeat issue #2 with bend #3, but this time, the bend is out of plane, so you have to figure out how to set the wire in the block AND allow for the angle of the handle. After several attempts (good thing I have more than one 3 foot length of wire!) I've got what I need.

On to issue #3 - duplicating the first one.

Well, as they say, practice makes - good enough.

There has to be a better way, and I think I'm going to draw something up that (a) is designed to bend wire in a single plane, and (b) will bend two pieces at once, so either I get two perfectly matched sets of the wrong size, or two perfectly matched sets of the right size. Besides, I think my buddy with the machine shop needs a project.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

At least wire is relatively cheap.

Let us know what you come up with. My own "vice + pliers" approach isn't exactly precise or accurate.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:23 AM   #3
DEG
AMA 16634

Friends: (12)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
..........My own "vice + pliers" approach isn't exactly precise or accurate.
But..it's sure "good enough"....
Old 12-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Like making Z bends without Z bend pliers. You bend the last 90 perpendicular to plane of wire, then twist to same plane as first.

Plenty of youtube vids on this sort of thing.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Like making Z bends without Z bend pliers. You bend the last 90 perpendicular to plane of wire, then twist to same plane as first.

Plenty of youtube vids on this sort of thing.

Nigel
If only it were that simple.

Making a Z bend in a thin piece of wire is a lot different than bending 1/8" music wire. You cannot bend 1/8" wire into a sharp 90 degree bend, for one. You must radius it. The dimensions of a Z bend aren't all that critical for use, but when forming landing gear, things have to be bent at the correct distance and angle.

I just spent the morning doing some self-educational experiments on measurement and bending with the tool, to determine how to best accurately make two 90 degree bends opposite each other, while keeping a set distance between the outermost parts of the wire (critical in this case, as they must fit accurately between two wing ribs). Nine feet of music wire later and I have two VERY accurately made landing gear wires that perfectly match to within 1/32" or so.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I actually really enjoy bending wire. I spent a lot of time bending big cables when I spliced for Comcast. It was alot of fun.

We used to have a jig for bending wire built into my dad's work bench. I never used it. For anything more then the weight of a slowstick, it seems pretty mandatory.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 12-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I actually really enjoy bending wire. I spent a lot of time bending big cables when I spliced for Comcast. It was alot of fun.<Snip!>
Hmm, perhaps an avatar change is in order...

You don't need to see my registration...
...These aren't the drones you're looking for.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Bit my shiny metal ass!

There is an art to bending big cables without kinking them. It's alot like bending a big giant tube by hand without kinking it or putting small crush zones inside of it. I am actually quite good at bending brake lines for the same reason.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 12-30-2015, 12:51 AM   #9
hkeelljr

Friends: (1)

I use a copy of the pattern,if provided, and tape the pattern to a piece of wood then put a nail at each bend, so I'm somewhere close, but mine sometimes get out of plane.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:45 AM   #10
Bald Paul

Well, after much trial and error, I managed to make two, three bend sections of landing gear (one right, one left) that are within 1/32" of each other.

It only took nine feet of 1/8" music wire to do it, too!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #11
Ron

View Ron's Gallery3
Friends: (2)

I inset my bender into the bench, so that it's top face is level with the top of the bench...
this leaves only the bending part to worry about.

Was flying electrics waaaay before it was cool
Old 01-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #12
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I inset my bender into the bench, so that it's top face is level with the top of the bench...
this leaves only the bending part to worry about.
Ron, I was working on something similar to that. A much larger, flat metal base plate with a series of retainers and arm pivots. But, it was only practical for mass-producing one particular size and shape of gear - fine if you're marketing a kit, but couldn't justify the cost for a one-of (or two-of) project.

I ended up just going through a bunch of wire - measuring, making bends, re-measuring - to learn how to set the wire in relation to the pivot until I could accurately make the bends and duplicate them as needed.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #13
Ron

View Ron's Gallery3
Friends: (2)

yes it takes a little practise,....I found that insetting the bender plate took away one of the harder issues to manage.

Was flying electrics waaaay before it was cool
Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 AM   #14
hkeelljr

Friends: (1)

Re: my post about using nails in the shape of the pattern, I just tried it the other day with some 1/8 music wire and my bender is on the way. I'll take my crow barbecued.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:33 AM   #15
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by hkeelljr View Post
Re: my post about using nails in the shape of the pattern, I just tried it the other day with some 1/8 music wire and my bender is on the way. I'll take my crow barbecued.
Don't feel bad, I tried that idea once before with about the same result.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft