Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Dukepiles

Friends: (0)
Default How much covering do i need?

Quick question. I am going attempt to cover a great planes electric cub (first build, shes been sittin naked) next month and i need to know how much covering i need to purchase. 58.75" span 36" fuse.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Iron-on is supplied in standard rolls - usually two sizes or lengths.

1 standard roll should cover overall and then you need a roll of each other colour for trim etc.

I always buy the longest widest rolls I can find... it always comes in handy for repairs, other models, trim pieces etc.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

I try to make a sketch of the plane to help me figure out a color pattern, then that will help you know how big each color has to be.

Cut your covering sheets 2" wider than the wing chord, and length. You will need that to hold on to, so you can pull out the large wrinkles.

For cutting and trimming use a brand new X-acto blade, you may have to replace it during the covering job. It is surprising how fast the blades dull, they will still cut balsa just fine, but not the film.

I always work from the bottom up. I will cover the bottom of the wing first, trim it, then cover the top. The seams between the top and bottom sheets should be 1/4" wide, less than that doesn't seem to stay sealed. I put the seam over lap on the bottom because when you display your plane, your friends will be looking at the top.

Same idea of the fuse, bottom, then sides, then top.

I hope you have a iron made for covering, I started using a clothing iron, they are simply too dang heavy. The 21st Century iron by Coverite is my favorite, I have others but they are just back ups now.
A hot air blower for shrinking is the best way to go. A hair dryer will not do it. We need air out put at 400-500 degrees. you control the heat applied by the distance from the plane, further away means lower applied heat of course.
A great detail air blower is the Darice Heat Tool made for greeting card makers. My wife's hobby is making greeting cards. I borrowed her little blower so much she bought me one for myself.

If you are going to shrink the main areas with the iron, I have found it is better to cover the iron with a baby sock or the special ones made for it. Another trick is to hold a piece of paper on the wing, and slide the iron back and forth on it, then move the paper to the next area. All this is to prevent scratches on the shiny surface.

Good luck, work slow and careful and it will come out great.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Dukepiles

i do have an iron for covering and some baby socks(shoulda seen the look the parents gave me when i took em off the kid) its going to be a few weeks before i can start it but it was my build. i had no intentions of covering it but the more i get into flying the more i want to fly it. i plan on making it a night flyer with transparent yellow and clear probably.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Since this is your first build, make sure you buy at least 20-30% more film than you will need to cover the model to allow for the learning curve. If you have any left over it can always be used for other planes, trim or crash repair. Its not like it will spoil.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 01-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Practice practice practice ,The more planes you cover and then get into glassing them with a paint finish the better you will get at it. My first plane looked like i threw a bunch of balsa in a trash bag but after 40 years it has become somthing i enjoy doing. Good luck and plan things out. joe
Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
Dukepiles

i am second guessing my color scheme decision. just dont thing i would like it that much. anyone have anu suggestions. keep in mind i have never done this. i have a foot of each blue,white,purple and orange lights on hand but am going to get some other colors also.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:25 AM   #8
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Whenever I put lights on a plane, I always use the standard color positions. Red on Left, Green on right, and a white on the rear. These can be on the wingtip with some other color for the rest of the wing.
This is the standard for planes, boats or whatever else needs night recognition lights.

I feel if I do my navigation lights the same every time, it will be easier with different planes.

Lights are great at dusk, but if you are going to fly when it is really dark, try to add in some white landing lights if possible.
We almost flew right into the ground one time, because my plane just glowed, without casting much light to see the landing strip. All of my lights were internal.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft