Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default Me 262 EPP pusher

Although I considered putting this one in the Pusher Park Jets forum, it is the only scratchbuild I have done this year, and she is turning out quite well. This is my 5th Me 262, and the motivation behind this one is something of a culmination of building and flying the others. What I really wanted was something of medium size, park flyer type performance, and reasonably light weight and durable. Cheapness did come into it of course, as I had some wing panels, scrap EPP, and the necessary electrics in the spare parts box. My other Me 262's all have various drawbacks; the Dynam and GWS ones, being EDF, really suffered landing on the nacelles, as the paddocks that I fly off are very rough, although I am otherwise quite happy with their performance. The S&B version being a pusher was far more robust, but needed the size of a football field to fly and land in, as well as being a real handfull at anything less than warp speed. The other scratchbuilt one from about 3 years back is forever lost in a pine forest, like its full size counterparts, and the HET was a piece of crap. All I have left are the nacelles, after two flights with this overweight, overpriced, brittle and barely airworthy brick with wings. I needed something practical that did not use the whole sky, or break something every time I made a less than perfect touchdown. The pusher version was in keeping with lighter weight and better performance. All going well, I'll be able to post some photos' of the progressive build over the weekend. Only having built one plane all year, there is serious motivation in getting it to fly
Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

It shouldn't be too hard to make a 262 that gives your desired performance, but I would do it with tractor props on the nacelles as putting the motors at the rear of the nacelles would make CG harder to get right.

I'd consider some appropriate size PET soda bottles as the main form for the nacelles. Very light and can take the abusive landings.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
It shouldn't be too hard to make a 262 that gives your desired performance, but I would do it with tractor props on the nacelles as putting the motors at the rear of the nacelles would make CG harder to get right.

I'd consider some appropriate size PET soda bottles as the main form for the nacelles. Very light and can take the abusive landings.
Hi Fhuber; yes the plastic bottles are a great source of hard wearing nacelles. I'm still figuring out how to get some big enough to go around the ones of the Dynam 262As far as tractor props go, I have tried them on my S&B 262 ( which now sports a single tractor prop in the nose like the V1 prototype), and it definitely helped with the COG and keeping my right thumb attached to my hand The drawbacks were that they tended to snag any clump of grass or undulation on landing, usually resulting in broken props, motor/nacelle pulled out of alignment, and flipping the plane over onto its back. I experimented with tractor props on my AR234, and found the same sort of problems. Plus they just don't look right. In flight, you can barely see the pusher props, but the tractors were way more obvious. There was no obvious difference in performance. If I could figure out a boat like arrangement , with the motor at the front of the nacelle, recieving cooling air, and an extension shaft running to the rear with the prop attachment, it would be good though. I would need couplings, possible bearing mounts or a second firewall, plus a suitable shaft. The weight gain would be negligable in a boat, but maybe not so great in an aircraft. Plus the need to eliminate vibration etc. I hope to have some photos up soon....cheers
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default nearly there

This one is coming on well, even if I can't get the photo's to load. The last couple of flights went very well, and I am going to mod the nose internal to place the ESC's in the side walls. Managing to keep the weight down without adding lead for the COG, so that is one thing achieved. My Tx decided to die after falling off my workbench, so I have put my spare into action. I need to get the trims right again, as the 262 is pedantic about hand launching. She has plenty of power/speed, handles the wind well, and is proving very robust at landing on the rough ground. Last week I shaped and extended the nacelles to make it more scale, and stiffened the tail to take out some interesting wobbles. Hopefully I'll resolve the photo gremlins during the week
Old 02-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default shelved

Looks as though I'll shelve this one for now and concentrate on the V1 version, with the tractor prop in the nose. Historically accurate, it will allow a much lighter plane, as the small size of this one struggles a bit with the twin motor set up. I did try smaller motors and such, but there is simply not enough room inside an EPP foamie of these dimensions for all the equipment. A single engine version would fit very compactly though, so I'll head in that direction. There are some good photo's of the original V1 prototype fitted with a twin bladed Junkers piston engine to go by, so it should not be too difficult. I'll get to it

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft