Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
KeninAZ

Friends: (1)
Default Turnigy and E-Flite Motor Mounts Interchangable?

Has anyone ever tried to interchange motor mounts?
For example I have an Ultra Stick 25e that is pre drilled for the 25/32 E-Flite mounts but I have the Turnigy G32 motor and it's mounts don't fit the factory holes.
Yes I know I can must modify the mounts by drilling new holes and all, been there and done that.
But has anyone ever tried to fit an E-Flite mount to Turnigy motor?
I looked at HH and HK and of course they give you no specs or machining data for either mount so you can compare them.

Happy New Years!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM40102

The 25 and 32 flight motorso have different sized x mounts. I'm willing the bet the turnigy fits one of them.

are you running 4 cells? what prop and battery combo?

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
KeninAZ

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM40102

The 25 and 32 flight motorso have different sized x mounts. I'm willing the bet the turnigy fits one of them.

are you running 4 cells? what prop and battery combo?
Just for kicks I ordered a 32 power from by e-flite. It if does not work with the G32 I will use the Turnigy mount and modify the plane again.
This is a new plane replacing one that lost it's wing mysteriously in flight. HH had me send the center section of the wing in so they could examine where it broke through and came off and they replaced the plane.

I was running the G32 770v Turnigy with 4s 4000 batteries and an 11x7 prop. It had lots of power and flew for a long time too.
I will most likely run about the same setup on this one.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

More than likely what you will run into is that the mounting holes for the MOTOR will not completely match. The EF motor has evenly spaced holes and the Turnigy has two that are offset.

What that means is that either motor CAN fit either mount - BUT - when using the non OEM mount only 2 of the motor mount screws can be used to hold the motor to the mount.

I have flown planes this way for long periods of time without a failure, but that does not mean there can't be a failure. You judge for yourself.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #5
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

i have just drilled the x mount.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
KeninAZ

TNX, I may try that too.
I found it interesting that I could not come up with specifications/plans for the mounts.
Oh well.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I try to keep mounts with the respective motors - but they get separated eventually. I just keep trying mounts till I get one that fits.

I have found the in motor sizes - the mounts tend to have similar spacing on motor screws .. subject of course to the 2 + 2 type and 4 same varieties. What I do find is the arms are different lengths making the fixing holes different. If anyone checks my firewalls on some models - you see empty screw holes where I have turned the mount ...

The bit that really annoys me - are the different screws used to mount motors to the alloy frames. Why can they not standardise on these ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
KeninAZ

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I try to keep mounts with the respective motors - but they get separated eventually. I just keep trying mounts till I get one that fits.

I have found the in motor sizes - the mounts tend to have similar spacing on motor screws .. subject of course to the 2 + 2 type and 4 same varieties. What I do find is the arms are different lengths making the fixing holes different. If anyone checks my firewalls on some models - you see empty screw holes where I have turned the mount ...

The bit that really annoys me - are the different screws used to mount motors to the alloy frames. Why can they not standardise on these ?

Nigel
Yes I was trying to avoid filling and redrilling the mount offset. I know E-Flite purposely drills holes for their motors and then I have to do extra work.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
KeninAZ

Well I found that the E-Flite mount will not work on the Turnigy 32. Oh well, if I don't use it someday I will find someone else that can.
So I modify the mount on the fuse like I did the last time, not a big deal.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

how long till your back in the air?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
KeninAZ

I think I will give my back another week, maybe a little less, and try assembly of either one of my ARFs that are sitting here.
I have the 25e and a Parkzone P-47D complete with retracts and the extra servos for flaps too.
I think I will build the 25e first.
Of course our great WX here at 5000' will turn to winter as soon as I am ready to fly. But that's OK we have had 75-80 WX for a few days in Jan the last few years and I cannot fly if I am not ready with a plane.
Even at our club invitational come fly with us last Saturday there were some 30-40 people out there when it started and the temps were right at freezing at 0800.
We are running 55-62 during the days right now.

I see you are running an 810 watt US? That must be exciting to fly.
My skills at this point are improving but I am still a novice.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions