Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)
Default will this set-up work ?

hi guys been a while. I'm ready for a 4 channel trainer. here is what I've been looking at. a Formosa (the small one 30 inch wingspan) I have an e-flite park 370 1080 kv, enough 9g servos. I also have spectrum ar6100e, ar6115e & an orange r615 receivers. any input from the more experienced people would be greatly appreciated thanks guys
Old 01-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

If the model you are talking about is the Acipiter Badius copy of the Formosa ... then its a very good machine ... but neutral as it's designed to be aerobatic .. it does not have self-leveling like a usual machine with dihedral.

As I first built her :

Later I recovered and gave her nose wheel and steering :

Here's my model revamped with modified U/C to trike from the tail dragger it used to be .. and now covered in silk ...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Motor was a typical Turnigy / RCTimer ~220w 1200kv job with 8x6 prop on 1750 3S 25C LiPo, 30A ESC.
9gr servos all round. I use FrSky - so I cannot comment on your Spektrum gear. But believe it or not - I only use a FrSky 4ch Parkfly Rx in her ... but FrSky Parkfly Rx is spec'd for 1km range anyway...

If it's a second model - then it will be a handful with it's neutral flight style. But in the hands of someone who can handlle that neutral aspect - a very good model.

If it's a different model - then sorry !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
zoltron55

no it is the 1st version. I have a 16" wingspan p-51D, which I can handle but only in absolutely no wind. if a dog passes wind nearby I have problems lol.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by zoltron55 View Post
no it is the 1st version. I have a 16" wingspan p-51D, which I can handle but only in absolutely no wind. if a dog passes wind nearby I have problems lol.
Sorry - you've lost me there ...

Mine is the ~900mm copy of the small Formosa ... sold by Banggood until summer 2014. I believe it was old stock they got hold of.

It's the older version of the F3A Paternish Ship on Hobby King ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

hi guys been a while. I'm ready for a 4 channel trainer. here is what I've been looking at. a Formosa (the small one 30 inch wingspan) I have an e-flite park 370 1080 kv, enough 9g servos. I also have spectrum ar6100e, ar6115e & an orange r615 receivers. any input from the more experienced people would be greatly appreciated thanks guys
Not a 30", just a bit bigger......:

http://store.gwsus.com/product/formosa-ii/

It's out of stock at most places, but available here......and you can modify to your hearts desire......white surface makes personalizing a piece of cake.....

AMA 928214
Old 01-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Not a 30", just a bit bigger......:

http://store.gwsus.com/product/formosa-ii/

It's out of stock at most places, but available here......and you can modify to your hearts desire......white surface makes personalizing a piece of cake.....
P ... there were TWO versions of it ... a smaller 900mm and a bigger 43" job that was then revamped as a Mk 2 .. as you link to.

The 900mm jobbie became the Acipiter Badius as I showed in post above ...

Nigel

Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 AM   #7
zoltron55

sorry I was referring to being able to fly a plane that would have to work at keeping level. my tiny mustang is like that & totally intolerable to any breezes (including dog farts) lol
Old 01-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

sorry I was referring to being able to fly a plane that would have to work at keeping level. my tiny mustang is like that & totally intolerable to any breezes (including dog farts) lol
I'm still not sure if we are talking same model ... any link to sales site on it ?

The character of such a model is such that whichever attitude you set it at - it will want to continue that. This is what is wanted in aerobatics. Neutral character.

Put it into a bank - it will stay banked over for siginificant time .. instead of like most models with dihedral - returning to level. Flip inverted and it will only need a small touch of DOWN elevator to fly level. Some newcomers think because the model will fly precise .. that this will help. Not true. It is of no use to a newcomer but important to one who wants to fly aerobatics.

Such models catch out newcomers to RC as they cannot anticipate the models needs.

You say you fly a P51 and wind is a real problem. Then what you need is a decent sized model instead of small fidgety machine. A 16" machine is definitely no fun outside in any air movement. I'm one of the advocates of BIGGER is better brigade ... a decent sized machine of 30" or more ... has more possibility to absorb wind movements and be more flyable.

I suggest unless you are good at flying ... choose a more forgiving model than a Pattern machine. One that has a bit of dihedral, preferably high wing and over 30" span with 4ch's.

Nigel

Old 01-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
zoltron55

I agree totally I got 2 years on my HZ supercub now, so its time to step up. the supercub is 3 planes in 1 now. plain wing, polyhedral wing & airlerons. the mustang I won on e-bay for 1/2 price of retail could not pass up. I got a new camera for Christmas will be posting pics as soon as I figure it out. you can see the Formosa (made by GWS) on tower hobbies or headsup rc site. should be getting by the weekend
Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
zoltron55

well I got it. fuse is put together wing has the servo & rod glued in. I went with the motor headsup recommended . now I have to decide whether to use ca, pinned or blemderm tape for the hinges. I'm just going to use the stickers that came with it they look ok
Old 01-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

well I got it. fuse is put together wing has the servo & rod glued in. I went with the motor headsup recommended . now I have to decide whether to use ca, pinned or blemderm tape for the hinges. I'm just going to use the stickers that came with it they look ok
If it is the Formosa .... do yourself a favour :

Do not use CA or Blenderm hinges ... use proper pinned hinges or Mylar strip. Fixed by epoxy.

You need to have total confidence in the hinges and surfaces.

Nigel

Old 01-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #12
zoltron55

thanks Nigel pinned it is.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies