Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
cobeau311

Friends: (0)
Default new dynam geebee

Here is a pic of my new dynam geebee I built today. Just waiting on a couple of fresh batteries that will be here Wednesday and then the maiden flight will take place. This is my second plane I sure hope she flys nice and easy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3029.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	179133  
Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (9)

She looks very nice but it's quite an ambitious second model. What was your first model?

Take it easy when it comes to the first few flights and good luck.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
cobeau311

My first plane is a ares gamma pro 4ch I have had it maybe 6 months fun plane easy to fly. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with my geebee just yet just a few scale pattern turns and get her home safe I heard it was a pretty docile plane if flown right. I guess we will see.she sure is pretty to look at
Old 01-16-2015, 03:25 AM   #4
cobeau311

Took her up for the maiden flight today. Flew really nice both take offs were a little hairy I need to jam a little more throttle I think for a more stabe take off. Landing was a bit rough I have my expo set up to 30 I think I need to change the rates on the elevator to 80% the elevator was super touchy and was hard to flair on landing. Only flew one battery as I was a little nervous but everything seemed pretty good and I will have a little more confidence next flight for sure.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:10 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Congrats! Yep, the maiden's a roll of the dice, then you gotta tune the tx to your flying tastes as you go.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,127 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (322)

Congrats on the Maiden flight, if your elevator is touchy, you may need to add some more nose weight, And I am not sure who is Cuter, you or the Gee Bee, Hmmmm your going to have to give me a few day on this, but I am leaning towards the Gee Bee LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
cobeau311

Well thanks for the tips on the nose weight chellie and the confidence boost lol. I will deff try adding a little nose weight and see if that helps. She is a pretty plane and I hope to keep her that way. I changed my rates on my transmitter to 85% and upped the expo to 35 on just the elivator. It's a bigger plane than what I have been flying I think I just need to but my bug boy pants on and throttle up a little bit more than what I am used 2. I want to say I was at half throttle when I took off it was all a blur I was a little nervous on my first time up. Hope the windividual stays calm over the weekend so I can take her up again.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

cobeau, congratulations! I gotta say, I freakin' LOVE that plane. One of my favorites ever.

To check your balance, turn the plane upside down and place you fingers tips on the wings right behind the red metal braces that run between wing and fuselage. It should balance right there.

I seem to recall that I had to remove some foam to get my battery far enough forward. What pack are you running?

Also, if you're landing on concrete, asphalt, etc. those stock tires can be pretty bouncy.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
cobeau311

Ok thanks I did the balance test like that and my fingers were on the other side of the red wing rods I will move them forward tomorrow and see how it does. I had to shove my battery in because the foam slots were deff not wide enough. I am running 2650 mah 3 cell 40c rate packs. The inside was hot after just a 5 minute flight. I also seemed to have a little glitching on the left aleron but that might have just been me a little jittery. The pack ended where the foam drops down on the inside. Should it be more forward than that? Sorry this is all new to me and I kind of made a big jump from my gamma 370 to this plane but what can I say I like to move fast I guess. Does this plane fly better at faster speeds? I was a little light on the throttle it wanted to stay up in the air but during turns I could tell she wanted to rail them with a little more speed. I fly my gamma at about 80% the whole time and it flys great I love that little plane. Also with these packs how much flight time should I get? I just did a quick 5 minutes to be safe. Thanks for everyone's help I appreciate it
Old 01-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Here is my Scratch built Gee Bee, Its fast too, it surprised me, It has a 1800kv micro motor on 3 cells with a 7x6 prop, its a profile plane with a 9mm fuse and a 6mm wing and stab. it flies like a spitfire with the elliptical wing tips no video yet of it, i just have about 3 flights on it, video coming soon Take care and have fun, Chellie

cobeau If you have an Extra Thong laying around, they work great to Hang your planes on the Wall with LOL

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gee Bee 1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	179198   Click image for larger version

Name:	beegee3.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	179199   Click image for larger version

Name:	beegee1.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	179200   Click image for larger version

Name:	beegee.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	179201  

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Congratulations on the first successful flights cobeau! That sure is a great looking Gee Bee!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
cobeau311

Nice plane can't wait to see some video on that bad boy. Thanks everyone happy I got in to this hobby I am thinking about joining a local club now and meet some people and have a good safe large place to fly. Thinking of temecula valley flyers or the club in menifee not sure yet but having a lot of fun on my journey
Old 01-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
cobeau311

Hahahahahaha chellie just noticed the thong pic that's freaking awesome and it matches the paint on the plane.....thought out I take it lol. That makes your plane sexier than mine
Old 01-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by cobeau311 View Post
Hahahahahaha chellie just noticed the thong pic that's freaking awesome and it matches the paint on the plane.....thought out I take it lol. That makes your plane sexier than mine
I knew that would make you Laugh

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

So, just to be clear, you turn the plane upside down with the battery, propeller, etc. in place, and place your fingertips here. (Ironically, the red metal struts don't show up well in this photo, but you know what I mean.)

I actually punched some holes between the fake cylinders on the plastic engine facade, to allow a bit more air inside to help cool the battery and electronics.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #16
cobeau311

Yes that's where I tested it before I flew it and it seemed perfect I am now wondering if I had the battery all the way forward it was such a tight fit maybe if I can push it forward a little more I can get a little bit more nose weight. Thanks for the diagram. I was kind of unsure at first where the cg was that helps a ton
Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #17
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well done on the maiden, that's the hardest one under your belt so it should be plain sailing from here on in

If you have checked the CG and it is as per the build instructions and the elevator is still too touchy, personally I'd simply reduce the throw on the elevator by moving the pushrod in one hole on the servo arm. Making the plane more nose heavy isn't always the answer and can have negative effects on the way the plane flies.
Too be honest if the plane was significantly tail heavy you would know about it, because you would have almost certainly crashed. There is an old saying in RC flying
nose heavy planes fly poorly, tail heavy planes fly once
There is a lot of truth in that saying. The fact you flew it around under control and you got it down in one piece, and assuming the CG checks out as per build instructions, proves (IMHO) that it's not excessively tail heavy.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Myself, I like the CG a Tad on the nose heavy side, I dont like my planes to be on the touchy side, and it helps when landing, it helps to keep the speed up, and the nose down The MFG suggested CG is just a suggestion, move the CG to where you like it at, Myself I have never ever had a plane fly right with the MFG suggested CG, the mfg suggested CG has always been way to Touchy for my Likings, But thats just me Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 01-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #19
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Speaking about being nose Heavy I had a Ace Wizard, it was designed for a 049 to 051 cox engine, Well, I put a Fox 15 in it, with a 7x6 prop That plane was fast, it was one of my early RC trainers, and it flew Great, one time at Whitter Narrows flying field, I ran out of fuel way out there, I was able to dead stick it back in, headed the plane right towards me, turned at the landing strip, landed the plane right in the middle of the landing strip, right on the white line, then turned and taxied it to the shoulder of the landing strip, I got a Thumbs up from a lot of people there that saw the whole thing go down that made me feel good. yea, it was nose heavy big time with that big engine in there, but it flew Great

Old 01-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #20
cobeau311

Great info thanks I will deff add a little weight to the nose and see if that helps. Thanks for your help
Old 01-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #21
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

If you must add extra weight, try to make it more battery.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #22
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Alright, I can't resist the temptation any longer. Here's mine. Completely stock (except for the pilot.)

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #23
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by cobeau311 View Post
Great info thanks I will deff add a little weight to the nose and see if that helps. Thanks for your help
when starting out with Rc Planes, A little nose heavy is a good thing, it will help the newbie from stalling the plane by dropping the nose to keep the speed up, the plane will be less touchy, after a person get some flying experience, then move the CG back a little for better performance, I always suggest to a Newbie to have their plane a tad nose heavy, and when doing a maiden flight, have the plane a tad nose heavy. you can always move the CG back later Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 01-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #24
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Alright, I can't resist the temptation any longer. Here's mine. Completely stock (except for the pilot.)

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Nice flight

Old 01-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #25
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
If you must add extra weight, try to make it more battery.
+1 adding 'dead weight' is an absolute final resort.
I agree with Chellie that when you are starting out a shade on the nose heavy side is better than a shade tail heavy side, but you can easily go too far. More nose heavy is not always better as some seem to suggest. Adding nose weight is not as panacea for all ills. When you read these forums for a while you will find that whatever the issue is someone will always come along and say adding nose weight is the cure!

Sometimes the simple and obvious solution is the right one. For instance if the plane flies perfectly fine and the only issue it has is a sensitive elevator then for my money you just need to reduce the elevator throw. Adding a bunch of nose weight will make the elevator less sensitive but it will also effect other aspects of the planes performance and if it was flying fine you don't want that.

Anyway, try it and see how you like it. Luckily most planes have a large CG range that gives acceptable performance so you have to be a mile out before things get ugly.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies