Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
duckdobber

Friends: (0)
Default Spectrum servo's v/s Futuba receiver

Guys;
For most of you out their you probably already know this information.
I recently purchased a Parkzone foamy at my hobby shop. I'm a Futuba radio guy so I had to exchange the Spectrum receiver that the flyer came outfitted with. I removed it and installed my Futuba 6008HS receiver. I went for two days with no servo movement on three of the four control surfaces. Finally, I logged on to Horizon and one of the brilliant tech support guys informed me that the servo wires were probably plugged in the Futuba receiver up side down. I investigated and discovered he was correct. Thanks to Chad from Horizon.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by duckdobber View Post
Guys;
For most of you out their you probably already know this information.
I recently purchased a Parkzone foamy at my hobby shop. I'm a Futuba radio guy so I had to exchange the Spectrum receiver that the flyer came outfitted with. I removed it and installed my Futuba 6008HS receiver. I went for two days with no servo movement on three of the four control surfaces. Finally, I logged on to Horizon and one of the brilliant tech support guys informed me that the servo wires were probably plugged in the Futuba receiver up side down. I investigated and discovered he was correct. Thanks to Chad from Horizon.
A quick way to determine connector polarity is with a common digital voltmeter using the ohms function.

All the black negative pins on the receiver servo connections are common with zero resistance between them.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
duckdobber

Friends: (0)
Default Thanks

I've been involved in the Sport for 20 years, however, took a sabbatical for about 5 years. My tech skills are not up to par. Thanks for the information.
I've just recently purchased my first electric. A lot of information to absorb.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Black Futaba/Hitec = darkest brown JR/Spektrum.

I've never run into anything (since Airtroncs quit having - in center) where the darkest color wire was not the - wire.

Ancient Airtronics will have 2 wires same color and the 3rd is + (usually a broken white stripe)
If yousee that color code don't use the servo except with the old style airtronics RX (similar to filing the alignment tab off Futaba servo plug to use in JR, filing the alignment lugs off the Airtronics of this type will let it fit JR or Futaba... and burn up the servo and RX)

Fortunately with + in center, having the servo plugged in negative/signal reversed does no damage.

Note that for most RXs the + pins of the RX all all "bussed" together just as the - pins. You can apply power to the RX at any servo connection (except the high power buss JR/Spektrum RXs which will not power up through a servo plug)

Safe to just plug a servo (except those old Airtronics ones)... if it doesn't work flip the plug around.

And if you have one out of two servos plugged wrong in a Y then NEITHER of the servos will respond.
Still no damage... just figure which is plugged wrong and correct it.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:40 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)
Default Digital Multimeters

Originally Posted by duckdobber View Post
I've been involved in the Sport for 20 years, however, took a sabbatical for about 5 years. My tech skills are not up to par. Thanks for the information.
I've just recently purchased my first electric. A lot of information to absorb.
For those wanting to pick up one of those digital voltmeters, an entry level meter is available from Harbor Freight for under five bucks. Amazing.

Here is how to use one:

Digital Multimeters, How to use them
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52821

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies