Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

View HeliScRapYard's Gallery3
Send a message via AIM to HeliScRapYard
Friends: (2)
Default long duration quad setup?

Anyone have any suggestions for a long duration quad setup. For flight times 30+ min? Was looking at some rctimer 5010 310kv motors. On 3-6s but not sure how they'd do.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (2)

Long duration is going to require a fair amount of experimenting unless you can find someone who has done it. and copy it exactly.

You'll want large diameter, relatively low pitch props turning relatively low rpm. The higher the tip speed the less efficient the prop and since you are hovering on the props its all about getting maximum efficiency.

Maximum speed will be less than typical.

Duration plus payload carrying (like even a Go-Pro camera) is even harder, because you need to carry a lot of battery for duration.

It will require a complete system built for the purpose... just saying "I think I want these motors" might be a start point but each choice you make will limit other choices and thus direct the result to one inevitable conclusion.

I would be surprised if a quad has a longer duration than a conventional CCPM heli... the heli will have a significant advantage in lower blade tip count. Each tip is a significant source of drag and that means inefficiency.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS
Friends: (0)

I have been working on two multirotors for long duration. The most efficient set up so far is using the multistar 3508 268kv motors spinning 14.5 X 5.5 apc multirotor props on 6 cells. It is still in the testing phase but looks very promising. With 5200MaH packs it hovers at 9amps. The props may need to be bigger as the motors are best with 8 cells but the 8 cell esc's are too expensive or not as reliable as I would like.

It flies very well and is almost silent in the air. I am trying to fly a micro four thirds camera @ 300 grams. The other day I flew 12 minutes with 4000Mah multistar packs and used 40% of the battery capacity.

To get what you want for duration you need to get amp draw down. When I first tested these motors in flight I was sure something was not right and retested a few times. Most of my 450 size hex and quads pull 24 -26 amps in hover and the Phantom I pulls 20 amps, so the 9 amp draw was very surprising. Take a look at the video that explains the motor on HK's site.
I will try to post an image of this quad.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 12-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I watched an hour time lapse of a rc timer powered quad on a large 50mm can motor running 18" cf props and 6 cells.

One of these days I am going to build my own endurance modeled plane. If I can get an hour out of a slow stick on 3 cells....

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 12-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

As the others have stated, large slow turning props is the way to get efficiency. The bigger the props the better. A reduction gearbox would eventually be necessary if you really wanted to maximise efficiency.

The idea is to 'grab' lots of air and move it very slowly.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors