Wind Surfer Baby & fun with silk
So I'm scratch building a Wind Surfer Baby modified for E-power. Covering, silk which I have dyed a variety of colors. I figure close to an hour slopping around in hot water dye bath and the silk would be pre-shrunk - wrong. Wing came out fine, but the stabilators were pretzels. Okay, they are tail feathers so I used light wood, but as the build progressed I noted the plane won't have a tendency to be tail heavy and may even be nose heavy with a fat lipo in the nose bay. Crunch stabilators, rebuild.
Instead of 3/16" square balsa LE I used 3/16" balsa laminated to 3/32" x 3/16" basswood. Instead of 3/16 x 3/8 balsa TE I laminated a basswood strip to a three layers of 1/16 balsa and basswood. Hey, its tad heavier but I don't think it will warp from shrinking silk.
Rudder has lots of curves so I'm hoping that part will resist warpage, if not *crunch* and repeat.