Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-03-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (22)
Default Blade 350qx body swap/rebuild thread

we all have one of those flights that set us back a bit and my last flight on the blade is no different. my video of the sunset was complete with panoramic views of the neighborhood and then a slow descent to the ground. at 50ft she cut throttle and dropped like a rock. hitting a chain link fence rail,she blew up into several large pc's.

motivated by solentlife's[nigel's] rebuild thread of his extra,i also want to share posts and results from step one on the blades rebuild. i will start by taking apart the broken body and expos all the electronics of the blade. then try to verify if there are any seriously damaged component that may not make this project affordable.

first off, a huge thanks to our friend here at wattflyer ,Hillbillie! Bill watched my crash video and offered a new blade fuse and lg he had and wasn't going to use. it came today in the mail and is waiting for the swapping of components. a huge thanks Bill!!! you are also a motivator to repair the blade. with out your help the blade would have gathered dust on the back shelf.

alsa,i also have a question....one of the 4 motors has a pulled power wire and i can't see where it came off the motor. i will post pictures soon and hope to repair the motor. if i bought the blh7808 motor from horizon it would cost $50+shipping. on ebay i can get one for $19. this is why some parts just cost to much to purchase from horizon. the main board is $245.

offical start of this thread will be in a few days when the weather doesn't allow flying. pictures to follow in next post after i clean the workshop. the place is a wreck from winter projects and i need to clear the table.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Be patient.......There are a kazillion screws to deal with and can strip pretty easy. There are many very small gauge wires routed through the rotor arms (as you know) and the connectors are pretty fragile......the control board connector plugs and space btw. each is tight.....especially be careful when disconnecting the sensor from the landing gear. It's easier to remove than re-install.

From mine and my buddies experience, there are not a lot of really good vid's on this project, most time lapse and without complete verbal communication. We searched through YouTube and found a few that provide clues and quick fixes.......just have to watch and stop, replay a few times...

I certainly feel your pain.......after the boys crashed mine, we gave it a look see.....that's when they decided to buy it off me and re-build (mod)......I helped a bit....with the heli rebuild knowledge I once possessed, it made fit and finish quicker.......but those tiny parts are tough to reassemble quickly.....and my soldering skills are only average on a good day......!

If you have any questions, I'll throw some ideas out there..........RCG and helifreak have some good fixes...........just need to weed through the BS.......time is on your side......

AMA 928214
Old 05-03-2015, 02:39 AM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks for the support pizzano,

i found a slow moving youtube video on swapping the body out. also my friends at the club field gave suggestions on those wires that get crimped when snapping top and bottom halves together. one suggestion is to use hot glue sparingly so the wires don't shift. the over all swap looks simple,it's the damaged pulled out wires that may shelve this repair. won't know till i start.

thanks again, stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 05-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #4
hillbille
Super Contributor

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Another thing is - if you are going to get parts - no matter the source - they must be matching parts. By that what I mean is - the motor that has the pulled wire - is it a CW motor? Or is it a CCW motor?

I know people say it doesn't matter - the current sets the rotation - but - the motors are in this instance specifically designed and manufactured to their rotation. There are two CW and two CCW motors. This is why Horizo asks so much for them.

If you decide to go with "other" motors - buy all the same motors - matching them evenly is extremely important!!

I'm sure you already know all that though.

I guess I was thinking of other that might have "crashed" their Blades - and might have just set it aside - for parts - responding to a request from you - you might want to try to figure out which motor it is - and more importantly the rotation - CW or CCW. The replacement motors are manufactured to exacting standards - so that they will match as a replacement in rpm, power and rotation. LOL!!

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978 KK6NKY
Old 05-03-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
hillbille
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

LOL!! I should have added "allegedly" and supposedly" in several places in my last post!!

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978 KK6NKY
Old 05-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

LOL....you got the CW and CCW matching aspect right on.......no supposedly about it.......especially if from Horizon.........

AMA 928214
Old 05-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

doooohhhh,glad i didn't order a motor off ebay yet....

i thought change any 2 wires would change motors spin direction......but horizon make it more challenging to replace a motor so they can bank the profits.do you guys think the only reason horizon marks motors cw or ccw is because you can match color wires from motors to the same colors on the esc's?

even though this swap would be simple if there were not broken parts/pulled wires,it has already proved profitable to post this repair....that is profitable to me:roll eyes:.

way to go my friends!! stu

Old 05-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

went to the ebay motor for sale site and no mention of direction. but here is something i couldn't get from searching threads for the positions of the 3 wires off the motor.

the picture of the motor on ebay shows the 3power wire locations as blue wire and red wire soldered to braided copper wires. the black wire is then soldered to the motors base and looks to be only soldered to the base. on my motor i couldn't tell with the heat shrink pulled off where it was from. now i'll look more closely and pull the motor apart ,there should be some marks where it was attach.

i think six hr's flying yesterday is enough for this weekend,so after church i plan on cleaning the shop and seriously getting started on this project. more post with pictures later.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #9
hillbille
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I think trying to repair the one motor is a good idea - and your description of the wiring makes me think the internal control board is set specifically for this type motor/wiring setup.

Makes me wonder if the controller board would drive a regular motor?

If it would - and testing this might be fatal to the board - but - if it would turn normal brushless motors - then - and this would be last resort - I might think about getting a full set of new motors and replace all of the motors at one time.

Problem then would be getting the correct size motors! LOL! (Correct in bolt pattern too! LOL!!)

The thing is we're getting ahead of ourselves. First things first. Can the old motor be saved. If so - one less thing to worry about and much simpler!! LOL!!

Hillbille

AMA884978 KK6NKY
Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #10
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

not to far ahead of our selves my friend,repairs went incredibly easy and here are the pictures i promised....first set of pictures show the broken pc's and beginning of disassembly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2108.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	180582   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2109.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	180583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2111.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	180584   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2110.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	596.2 KB
ID:	180585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2112.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	180586  

Name:	DSCN2113.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	550.5 KB
ID:	180587  

Old 05-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #11
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

second set of pictures show final swap of pc's....

the test was using a suppo motor plugged in place of the regular motor and everything powered up and spun. then i got a red led and beeping sound so i stop testing the motors. i hope i didn't wreck the control board as that didn't occur to me as a problem using a similar size and kv motor in the test.

the picture where my finger is pointing at the esc is a possible weak spot at the connection. it had been pulled out hard. i plugged it together and added a spot of hot glue to hold the connection tight to the board it's working.

i may need to replace that esc also. lastly,theres no markings on the motors to indicate directional designi know its the #1 motor that needs replacing. what i still can't tell and the black wire is missing in the carnage is where it is soldered on. i have a feeling the twisted strains of copper wind on the stator got ripped off also ,so either i rewind the motor[not going to happen ] or i find the right motor at a bargain price. $50 from horizon is a slap in the face toward completing this repair. i'll search the other forums and see whats available. till then, this rebuild is on hold but looks very..very promising to be a success.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2115.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	517.5 KB
ID:	180588   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2118.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	180589   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2122.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	180590   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2123.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	180591   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2125.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	560.8 KB
ID:	180592  

Name:	DSCN2126.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	180593  

Old 05-04-2015, 12:00 AM   #12
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i just got off the chat help line with horizon. they said motors are not made directional .they are all the same motor. i do know the manuel shows how to pogram the speed controls and i have to reread it. it's something like waiting to spin the props when signaled to and you spin the props in the direction they are supposed to turn...1 through 4 and then save the programing.

so unless i hear otherwise in the next few days or can't locate a used motor from someone on rcg,i'll buy one from ebay for $20 new and hope it works.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:36 AM   #13
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
i just got off the chat help line with horizon. they said motors are not made directional .they are all the same motor. i do know the manuel shows how to pogram the speed controls and i have to reread it. it's something like waiting to spin the props when signaled to and you spin the props in the direction they are supposed to turn...1 through 4 and then save the programing.

so unless i hear otherwise in the next few days or can't locate a used motor from someone on rcg,i'll buy one from ebay for $20 new and hope it works.
That's odd.....when my buddies rebuilt the one I sold them (it was one of the first model editions)......they up-graded to Turnigy Multistar motors and different prop adapters........ I could be wrong, but I remember either the Turnigy or Blade motors being identified as to CW or CCW because the prop adapters needed to be installed in the same fashion.....hmmmm.

They also replaced the ESC's with 30amp Turnigy's made to fit the Blade.

I'd give them a call, but they are on an assignment in Texas and won't be back for another two weeks.......Where cell reception sucks...!

Anyway, Stu it looks like you're doing fine....going better than our adventure. Although we had several severed wires, two motor and ESC's destroyed......the soldering iron was needed.....lol

Can't wait to hear how the reprogramming and first test flight goes......!

AMA 928214
Old 05-04-2015, 01:26 AM   #14
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

located the motor for $19 ,should be here friday. the same seller has eflight blade esc's for $12 new. i'll wait on that and see where i stand after installing the new motor.

there was a guy parting out his blade on rcg,but He wanted $30each for used motors and $20 each for the esc's. made an offer for less, and then found these other prices on ebay.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 AM   #15
hillbille
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

My buddy here has built several 450 quads - and uses these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381032104228...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and swears by them. 4 motors for $42.42 with free shipping is more like it! LOL!

Want 4 ESC's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111470941774...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

4 20 amp's for $24.93 and free shipping again!

Not sure about the simon k in a Blade though. LOL!

Hillbille

AMA884978 KK6NKY
Old 05-04-2015, 06:43 AM   #16
hillbille
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I'm talking total replacement of course - down the road (Gee - hope not!)

Not being a wise guy - but - since I also have a Blade 350 - it's my plan of action if anything happens to mine! LOL!!

I am so happy that everything is working out! Nothing better than plan that works out better than you think!

Hillbille

AMA884978 KK6NKY
Old 05-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #17
fishycomics

Friends: (0)

keep positive and take the time, when transplanting, no pinch wires, make sure you calibrate it all. I do not miss them. but could not help but stop by and read some posts. wish you luck, and safe flying

out flying here learning.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #18
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks fish,i have all the time in the world. way to many things to fly in the hanger to be in a rush for anything.

Bill,
don't replace the blade.get a mini 250 quad combo kit from altitude hobbies for $160 and load up the fpv equipment for fast flights. i wasn't going to spend any more on quads but after the crash i researched clones to the "blackout mini 250 racing quad" and found a great deal at altitude. took all of 5 minutes talking to my wife about how i could have bought it sooner over the blade if i had known more info on how the flight controller has multiple levels of flight control. same as the blade but minus gps. she just smiles and says "you gotta get it". she's totally cool with my hobby.

i really am hoping the blade under repair works out,but i p/u the Iflight xbird 250 carbon fiber quad from "got heli .com" i asked for a coupon and got 5% off with free 2day shipping. the quad combo,power board,and 16 props cost all together $179. assembly is simple enough after watching several youtube videos and the Wizzard programing of the control board..ect..ect..also looks easy to do. what i have heard is the final fine tuning can be a pita.

these lil quads are really meant for fpv since they are harder to see which way they are going via line of sight. i couldn't picture waiting to fpv till christmas to buy a new quad.

new motor for the blade arrives saturday so plenty of time to chill and hope for the best regarding all the other components in the blade. your so right Fishy,my buds at the field all warned me about the pinching of wires and also to use hot glue to keep the wires in place. as far as recalbrating goes....every single step of recalibration will be done before flying.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #19
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

Pizzano,

on the mini quad combo the motors are manufactured to be cw or ccw. strange since i will still change their direction by switching esc wires if needed. i guess the motors are designed special to spin a certain direction.

maybe thats what your friends ran into when the swapped out the blades motors with 4 new ones.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 PM   #20
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

this is the video after installing the new motor. the motor isn't the exact same as the other 3 so i am searching for another replacement motor. the one i got has more sharper squared edges and what looks like a brass shaft. the original motors have rounded edges. what i do notice is each esc has 2 blue led lights and the one i suspected as damaged has only 1 lit up. i test pilled the connection and it broke right off.

i'm now trying a guy at rcg who has motors and esc's for sale. the only issue is if another $35 doesn't fix the blade it will go on the shelf till someone at my club gives up on theres and i get many parts to play with.

the video is what my blade is doing with beeping sounds and led light sequences. let me know if this indicate a more serious problem with the control board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1OCUzVtdp4

Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 AM   #21
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Hard to tell from the vid.......generally speaking, error messages are frequently generated in a sequence.........kind of like the bios boot-up in a PC.

The first and most immediate error will be recognized and coded beeps and flashes sent. From the looks of the vid, the error (green blinking) appears to be related to a signal issue in stability mode. Solid reds on the esc may indicate lack of signal or motor issue. Solid blue generally means things are normal........any blinking of esc LED's indicates malfunction.

Any rapid beeping (after initial bind) indicates the system cannot engage (you knew that, I'm sure)........I'd take a look at the manual, it has a whole section on codes.

You're getting closer.......good work buddy....!

AMA 928214
Old 05-07-2015, 12:42 AM   #22
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

just ordered the motor & esc from the classifieds at rcg,should be in the mail thursday. the guy i bought them from says the broken esc connection would cause the problem from the descriptions i gave him on the beeps and red led flashing.

i guess the new blh7802 motor i just got and is wrong can be used in a future project down the road. i feel positive toward the efforts made to repair the blade. i just want to set up the Iflight xbird 250 quad for fpv but am going to wait till the blade is finished. seems only right to do it this way what with all the support your all motivating me with. she will fly again!!!!

Old 05-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #23
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Looking good Stu.
Sorry did not see this thread sooner. You doing the right thing by taking your time these control boards can be very finicky. The problem I have with the 350qx is the difficulty in programing or reprograming of the flight board. Hang in there and you will be fine. this thread already has taught me some new stuff about the 350 setup I did not know before when I replaced my frame. So keep at it
Stu, you will like your 250 size quad. they are sooooooooo much fun. I now have 2 and love every minute I get to fly them. When you line of sight it don't get to frustrated if you cant get it to do what you want. To be honest I cant fly any of my 250 size quads well LOS but FPV in my opinion is so much easier. Looking forward to reading up on your progress.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #24
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

Hillbille,Pizzano,Fishycomics,and of coarse Fishbonez,

i installed the new motor that belongs in the qx1 version blade, and the new esc i bought and still have the same signals and led flashes. things i tried are as follows.

i loosened all esc's ,loosened all wires from hot glue holds and checked them all,removed the battery tray to get at the control board and plugged in the battery. when i tried a test of setting the motor directional by leaving the throttle at full when turning on the tx and spin each motor in the direction it is supposed to go ,the beeping stopped until i was done . then right back to the same pattern of 2 yellow,one red.

i tried turning off the blade and unplugged the gps.turned it on and still the same signal. tried unplugging the compass and turned on the blade. same signal.

unplugged the led light from the control board and still the same beeping pattern.

removed the control board to check all wires and all is connected,plugged in the battery and turned it on,same signals. reinstalled the control board and made a video explaining what i see......moving the blade while making the video i noticed the led light pattern went to all red. sitting the blade level on the table and the yellow/red pattern returned some of the times ,but always if i turned it off and back on the pattern stayed yellow twice/red once.

so i am posting again a video of what i see and hear so maybe horizon can see what i'm dealing with. guys, if you know anyone who's got it together on the blade and can help. please contact them and get back to me. sadly,if i don't get better info i won't be spending any more money on the blade any time soon. i have a 250 quad to build and will be starting it this week.

thanks for any suggestion my friends,it would be nice to see the blade flying again. stu

Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 AM   #25
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

heres the video,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ZzSK8AnOw

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors