Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Friends: (0)
Default 3 weeks to get less confused about quads

Hey all,

I am off to Tunisia (North Africa) in a few weeks for our summer holidays, and I've suddenly got it into my head that I want to take a Quad along to take photos and videos of historic sites, the kids playing on the beach etc.. It'll just be another dimension to the usual, boring holiday snaps.

So I've already spent the last week devouring content on the internet, watching videos and just getting increasingly confused. I am not sure whether I should buy something quick and simple to use like a Walkera X350 PRO or a Blade QX3 350 etc.. or buy a 350 size kit from somewhere like Hobby King and build my own. What I like about the DIY route is upgrade ability, but then it might all end up being too much for me to build, master and troubleshoot in the remaining few weeks

Budget wise I was thinking $500 to 700 max for a BNF ship with gimbal (no FPV yet, but would be nice)

Any advice or tips highly appreciated
Cheers
Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

With only three weeks then I'd say your only option is to go for a ready built option.

This being your fisrt quad I dont think you would have much hope of getting everything delivered, built, setup and test flown and in three weeks. There is a very steep learning curve when it comes to setup on these things, so that stage alone is likely to take some time on your first build.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Thanks Jetplaneflyer, those were also my thoughts. Its just that I wanted to avoid obsolescence which seems to be inherent with such a fast moving area, and I do also like the idea of tuning and upgrades as my skill and experience increases.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

I know it might sound a bit paranoid .... but in Tunisia ? Given the recent history of the region and still odd flare-ups .... I'm just wondering if such an idea might not be risking it ? OK I agree it depends where you fly....

As to 3 weeks ? Yep - its gotta be a PnF job.

Maybe this sounds draft - but check out banggood.com - they have them from tiny up to large in all manner of beginner to expert.
I bought their WL V959 for a laugh ... it works ! Videos poor quality, but it works.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

For the budget allowed (in the US)... you can get a quad with GPS, auto-level, waypoint programming and return to home function. With spare battery and a decent charger.

The gimbals vary a LOT in cost and quality... but even the cheapest (I got one for $5) will move the camera just fine.

Adding FPV can easily double the cost....

Note that where you live can make a huge difference in cost. Some countries might be able to get the same stuff cheaper than here, others it might cost more. Different taxes and import fees and shipping costs.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Contact this guy from the Cairo RC Modelers Club......:

Mustafa Ismail at 2525-3064...........One of the largest RC clubs in north Africa.

AMA 928214
Old 05-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #7
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I know it might sound a bit paranoid .... but in Tunisia ? Given the recent history of the region and still odd flare-ups .... I'm just wondering if such an idea might not be risking it ? OK I agree it depends where you fly....
I will be tactful and respectful of course. Most of our time will be spent in a large beach resort so I'll get the permission of the Hotel manager. As for the historic sites I will play it by ear, but usually these places are crawling with camera wielding tourists.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

[
Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Contact this guy from the Cairo RC Modelers Club......:

Mustafa Ismail at 2525-3064...........One of the largest RC clubs in north Africa.
Cairo is about 2,000 miles away from where we'll be staying... I like RC modelling, but not that much
Old 05-07-2015, 09:46 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by Swiss Flyer View Post
[Cairo is about 2,000 miles away from where we'll be staying... I like RC modelling, but not that much
I didn't like to comment that Cairo might be quite a distance .....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

And most important... Post the videos here for us all to see, there should be some great scenery.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

So I've now narrowed the field down to a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ (V3) or a Yuneec Typhoon Q500+. Both have integrated 1080p cameras with 3D gimbals and are pretty much ready to fly out of the box.

My head is telling me that the Phantom is a better bet since more have been sold, there are whole forums dedicated to them and spares and mods are easy to find. However the Yuneec (who build the Blade Quads for Horizon) is the more emotive choice based on its looks, fresh new chassis, larger more stable platform, excellent controller with 5.5' FPV screen etc.. Its also got a number of innovative features e.g. follow me and watch me, which would both be nice for a newbie like me.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Going to sleep on it a few more nights
Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
SlowJeff
Before the Beginning

I'm such a rookie, but... can you fly one? It's a lot harder than it looks.

I'd suggest that, whatever else you do, you get a little quad - toy grade - and start practicing in the house TODAY. Or at worst order one from someplace with 2 day shipping like Amazon. A Syma X11, a little Hubsan - get flying. Now. 30 bucks US will get you started. Your biggest problem with your short time frame is going to be developing the skill to put your new quad where you want it. At least that's been my experience starting out.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Originally Posted by SlowJeff View Post
I'm such a rookie, but... can you fly one? It's a lot harder than it looks.

I'd suggest that, whatever else you do, you get a little quad - toy grade - and start practicing in the house TODAY. Or at worst order one from someplace with 2 day shipping like Amazon. A Syma X11, a little Hubsan - get flying. Now. 30 bucks US will get you started. Your biggest problem with your short time frame is going to be developing the skill to put your new quad where you want it. At least that's been my experience starting out.
That is a good idea.
I am a quad rookie, but I have several years experience flying collective pitch gas helis so I have the basics under my belt and a healthy respect for perspective, maintaining line of sight etc..
Old 05-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

So much for the original "budget aspect" or kit idea.....

"So I've now narrowed the field down to a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ (V3) or a Yuneec Typhoon Q500+. Both have integrated 1080p cameras with 3D gimbals and are pretty much ready to fly out of the box."

Both models (as you are aware) are in the $900.00 to $1290.00 (US) range.....I have a buddy who owns the DJI Phantom 2 Vision, it's a very nice "investment"......more than just a bang-around first time quad for newbies.........for another $500.00, you can get into a larger craft that will grow with your needs (if you intend to) get more serious about the FPV and Vid aspects (and a better application) to put to use in order to get a "return" on the investment.........Phantom certainly has become the industry standard entry level "serious" FPV favorite here in the U.S.........!

AMA 928214
Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #15
SlowJeff
Before the Beginning

That is a good idea.
I am a quad rookie, but I have several years experience flying collective pitch gas helis so I have the basics under my belt and a healthy respect for perspective, maintaining line of sight etc..
You're miles ahead of me, then. The first thing I ever flew was my Syma X11. Took me about one battery to gain a healthy respect for all those guys on YouTube putting them wherever they wanted them.

It's still a victory after couple weeks if I can fly up 4 batteries in one sitting and not crash it at least once. A major victory.

I hear some folks can actually fly these things...
Old 05-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #16
GunnyJeeves

Awards Showcase

5kW 

That is a good idea.
Get a small quad... Something cheap and DURABLE... I'd say get it quick and get it locally if you can. Good options are:

Horizon - Dromida Ominus (Non FPV one is $79 US usually and it takes a beating plus charges with USB.)
If you have a Spektrum Radio already, you can do a Nano QX BNF (Older version for about $59 US)

Non-Horizon - SYMA, Cheerson, Walkera, WLToys and Hubsan are all good. I can't think of other cheap brands I would trust off hand.

Difference between a Quad and a Heli is that in a Heli the tail does not look like the nose. On a Quad, it does... Also you may feel like you are fighting self level. You need a safe way to learn how to accept those flight envelope limitations. (Usually they limit you to say 45 degrees in any direction no matter how far or how long you hold the sticks.) Look for anything that says SAFE or "6 Axis" as this will fly closer to the DJI.

If you want a cheaper option too, the Cheerson CX20 has all that and costs about $250 now. Just a thought. (Might be easier to swallow too if it gets taken up by authorities based on a misunderstanding... vs a $700-$900 DJI.)

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #17
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

I've ordered a Hubsan X4 to sharpen up my flying skills, should be here tomorrow. In the meantime I've gone for a Phantom 3 Advanced since its ticking most of the boxes e.g FPV (Lightbridge), portable enough to go in a backpack and great user community.

Cheers all
Old 05-16-2015, 03:07 AM   #18
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (20)

will traveling with a quad be a problem in your backpack?certainly lipos might not go thru tsa very well. but i wouldn't know.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:05 AM   #19
GunnyJeeves

Awards Showcase

5kW 

Easiest to travel in checked luggage, and there is a limit on "spare lipos"
Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #20
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Originally Posted by GunnyJeeves View Post
Easiest to travel in checked luggage, and there is a limit on "spare lipos"
Please do not travel with them in 'checked luggage', this is actually the most dangerous and irresponsible option. They should travel with you in the cabin, then at least you can see and smell smoke and there will be fire extinguishers close to hand.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors