Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
mlamb01

Friends: (0)
Default chargers that plug into your car's cigarette lighter

I have a hobbico charger that charges up to 1.2a, I use it to charge my 6 and 7 cell nimh batteries. I think I read somewhere that the car must not be running when you charge the batteries...

What happens if you charge a bettery while the car is running?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

No issues with that......other than the emissions!

Mike
Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
clockworks

Friends: (1)

Agree - can't see why running the engine would cause a problem with any half-decent charger. After all, chargers for laptops, cell phones and iPods are fine to use whilst driving.

I've read a few posts about not charging LiPos in a moving vehicle, but that was due to concerns about safety (exploding LiPos in general, rather than any extra danger from the lighter socket).
Old 05-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
soar-ne
Omaha Ne.

When I used to use NIMHS, I used to peak a couple of packs on the drive to the field in my van. Used my Hobbico MK11 Quick charger. I dont think I would do it with my Lipos now though, a little leary of them...Wouldnt be pretty to have a pack go off will driveing!!!!

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
Speame

Originally Posted by mlamb01 View Post
I have a hobbico charger that charges up to 1.2a, I use it to charge my 6 and 7 cell nimh batteries. I think I read somewhere that the car must not be running when you charge the batteries...

What happens if you charge a electronic cigarette bettery while the car is running?
My charger has some problem. i can not detect this problem because there is some small part which is so complexion. i am trying to fix it.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
carpetbagger

Do a volt meter check on t5he car battery terminals and/or the power socket with vehicle engine off and on. You will discover about 12-13 volts dead engine w/good battery, and 14-15 volts engine on.

It is possible that the Hobbico charger is designed to chartge a lipo to the correct voltage off a static battery voltage without an alternator jacking up the supply.

Therefore: Follow the charger instructions or have the local Fire/Rescue service on speed dial . . .

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers