Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-24-2005, 04:43 AM   #1
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)
Default Goldberg Eaglet 50 electrocution?

Anyone thought about this one? I just snagged a new kit on eBay for $43.00. It will be an electric conversion. Most plywood will be replaced with balsa in the hopes of bringing the weight waaaayyy down. I learned to fly on one in the mid 80's with a Super Tigre .25 motor. I loved that plane. I crashed it into just about everything and it kept on flying. As far as I know it's STILL airworthy!
I haven't decided on a motor for it yet. It'll definitely be a Himax though. Can't see spending the big bucks for an AXI or the like.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 11-24-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Dereck
Super Contributor

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Anyone thought about this one? I just snagged a new kit on eBay for $43.00. It will be an electric conversion. Most plywood will be replaced with balsa in the hopes of bringing the weight waaaayyy down. I learned to fly on one in the mid 80's with a Super Tigre .25 motor. I loved that plane. I crashed it into just about everything and it kept on flying. As far as I know it's STILL airworthy!
I haven't decided on a motor for it yet. It'll definitely be a Himax though. Can't see spending the big bucks for an AXI or the like.

Joe
take the easy route - figure out which current production similar types are about the same size and use their 'numbers'.

Sounds like 8 - 10 round cells, with my vote going for 10, or 3S in flatpacks. Don't skimp on the motor too much - go for one that allows you to cruise around on reduced power and never gets to be pushed to its little redline for very long. You don't have to burn out many cheap motors before they start to get expensive

When I visited the King RC (NC) E-funfly earlier this year, there was a guy there with a 39oz Kadet Seniorita! Flew great on a 2S lipo into a geared outrunner from "Atlanta Hobbies", pulling maybe 25A. The entire model was hand-selected balsa bar a few small pieces of ply and covered in Litespan. That's what even I call "adding lightness".

Good luck with your 2nd Eaglet

Dereck
Old 11-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Dereck,

I have a bunch of NiMh that aren't being used but I'll be going with Li-Po's to save weight. I'm thinking of going with the Himax 3510-1100. I've seen it in action on a 30 ounce plane and it's more than impressive. He keeps propping down because it's so over powered. He's running two TP 1320 3S1P Gen2 packs in parallel. I plan to use TP 3S1P 2100 Pro-Lites. I'm sure it'll be decent power even if I were to build it using all the plywood parts.

Even though I may have to join a slimer club to fly 'em I'm being drawn to the larger planes. The main draw back though is the cost of the batteries to fly the bigger stuff. The rest of the stuff is "cheap" in comparison.

Joe

Old 11-25-2005, 02:29 AM   #4
Dereck
Super Contributor

Mesa, AZ - you can't be far from Andy Clancy himself, unless him and Suzie have moved on out.

"Big Stuff" is addictive - I figured that right about when the wings took over on my 20 cell Four Star 40 in 1998. While I usually have a couple of parkfliers around, and even the odd indoor, I only fly 10 and 16 cell these days. With affectionate care and light models, big round jugs can propel these pretty impressively and, equally important, cheaply. I confess to looking at 4S Saphions as the replacement for my aging 10 jug packs though - same ease of soldering as roundies, with none of that lamentable tendency to burst into flames that LiPos insist on exhibiting.

As to clubs, give me a slimer club any day. Most of my electrics can whup similar sized glows anyway, and the majority of slimers - I'm an 'ex', BTW - have a better appreciation of flight safety than some I've encountered over the years.

Whatever you buy, don't put it into the redline too often - that is a surefire way to melt things down. Despite how far this genre has come, I can still get out there and make folk wish they had one like mine without going much over 40A.

If you want advice at the usual internet rate, I'd suggest you build a really light version of your Eaglet, after a lot of research into light electric-specific structures and then sell the plan on, to recoup your original investment.

I've had an AXI 2820/10 since before they came into the US. Close to as bulletproof as anything I've had from Astro and MaxCim, plenty pokey and real confidence inspiring. Maybe not 'cheap' but I rate mine as "good value".

Cheap junk remains what it's always been... The trick is in differentiating between the two

Regards
Dereck
Old 11-25-2005, 03:16 AM   #5
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Yeah, I understand Andy is only a mile or two from me. Never met him before although I'll bet I've seen him at an LHS or two. Hacker USA is right next door in Tempe. Edge RC just moved out from Apache Junction. I fly with Chris Klick from Wing Warrior/RiteWing RC from time to time too. AllERC and Bishop Power Products are local as well. The Phoenix area is exceptional from an RC standpoint. All these heavy hitters in the business and year 'round flying weather. It doesn't get much better.

I guess I'm going to have to wait and see how heavy the airframe ends up and then decide on a motor. I'm sold on Himax mainly because I have a bunch of them as much as two years old and I beat them to death. Never a whimper from them. I've got an AXI 2212/34 that I'm less than thrilled with performance wise. If I hadn't gotten a killer deal on it I'd really be pissed.
A lot of people frown on Himax but for me they've been the best bang for the buck. I actually sold off my Hackers while I could still get a good price for them.

I'm hoping the kit will get here early next week. I'd like to get started cutting out parts. I may even make templates from counter top laminate like I do for scratchbuilts. That way I can keep the original kit complete and be able to make a "new" kit whenever I need one.

Joe

Old 11-25-2005, 04:48 AM   #6
Twmaster

View Twmaster's Gallery17
Friends: (13)

Somewhere in the power forums I think it was mentioned the rule of thumb is 85W per pound to fly, 100W to ROG, 150W for aerobatics. Perhaps that is some help for guesstimating your power plant?

I'm getting a small bite of the big plane thing with a Sig Four Star conversion. I have a Sig Rascal 40 electrocuted that needs repairs. Now I want -more-!!

Dereck, I think it's a sickness!

Mike N

Support the entire Constitution.
Not just the parts you like.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
Dereck
Super Contributor

This big model thing has to be watched. When I flew oilburners, I never had anything bigger than a 25 - last year I ended up with an 84.5" span Piper Cub. I went from models that I could toss three of into the car to one that swamped my middling sized station wagon.

Even now, as my modelling time is severely curtailed, I still idly wonder whether or not to sell off all the smaller stuff and just keep a 16 jug Four Star 40. Mine, which I still have though she's a little time-worn, was such a great sports model to just go out and fly that it would be the logical choice. Even with buying one more 16 x 3300 pack to give me all day flying, the cost per season would still be way below feeding a 46 glow

Joe - your idea of making templates is great, especially for out of production kits. It might be a bit high-falutin', but if you have an out of production classic, I reckon it's worth keeping intact - someone who collects stuff might just need one some day, or even a museum could be interested. If you build the kit, the plan gets messed up, and sooner or later, the model will be worn out or wrecked and that's a little slice of hobby history down the drain.

I found a British electric sports aerobatic kit in Graves Hobbies in Orlando - last I saw one of these for real was in the mid 1980's, when it was the first electric I'd seen that wasn't a glider. Paid all of $30 bucks for it - they had no idea how long they'd had it. If I ever have spare time again - which is feeling less and less likely now I am the "other half" of my wife's consultancy - I'd like to run up a copy, stick an Astro 05 Cobalt in it, and keep it to mostly look at.

Of course, if a serious kit collector offered me anything better for it, I could soon be persuaded to sell...

Mesa sounds a fun place to be an aeromodeller. DC isn't so bad, though our weather is kind of extreme - hot and soggy in Summer, while right now it's well under freezing. However, in the MD side I live in, we have a twice weekly indoor session, with two or three big indoor fly-ins down in the DC Building Museum each year. My regular flying site is the remains of a wettie site lost to noise years ago and now re-opened for electrics and gliders. Unfortunately, the club isn't big enough to maintain a full blown runway. If I want one of them, it's not too far away either, but I wouldn't fly there weekends...

Downside, the nearest thing you could really call a LBS is forty miles away, too many of them along Virginia's Rt 50.

I vaguely recall that the power/weight thing is around 50 - 60 W/lb to fly around adequately, maybe 70 -80 to do ROG on decent grass and basic aeros, 100 is the good figure to act like the oily lot do with sports aerobatics.

However, this rash of hovering must have skewed that somewhat. Now I think the rules run something like $xx/lb to fly, $XXX/lb to have something that could hover properly if you could, up to $XXXXX/lb if you have a family company with a Learjet behind you

What's for lunch today?

Turkey bloomin' sandwich

Dereck
Old 12-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
Electroman7
Come And Take It!

I have a eaglet 50 sitting at home waiting it's turn for a new motor. I electrocuted it a couple years ago with one of those Velkom ferrous motors rated for 12 volts. The Velkom wouldn't fly it. Of course, I didn't try to reduce the origional weight. Next time around I have an Astro 15 geared and will run it with 4s lipos. It will fly on this combo. I haven't ventured into the larger brushless motors because I don't need to yet. I've been into electrics for about 15 years and have accumulated a complete line of Astro cobalt motors. These go cheap on E-bay from time to time and are well worth it!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #9
Fviking

View Fviking's Gallery8
Default Goldgerg Eaglet

I just started flying this winter, I have been a modeler since childhood. I did a lot of RC car racing. Last summer I built a 3' deep vee off shore electric boat. I like to reinvent the wheel I guess. I made a mold on the wood boat and made fiberglass hulls. Got one to do 50mph on 6s.
I just finished building a Lazy Bee for a customer at the LHS. My plane started life as a crashed Kyosho Farias, I have crashed it so many times and re built it that the only part of the Farias left is the horizontal tail piece.
I was asked to recover a Goldberg Eaglet for this gent's sons first plane (I didn't take photos, darn ) I liked the plane so much I went on a quest and found a kit on ebay. It will need some lightning to go electric but that is where it will go. I thought I wanted a Telemaster Mini untill I worked on the Eaglet.
Fviking

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	-LB1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	99996   Click image for larger version

Name:	-24.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	99997  

Fviking;
http://www.How2RC.com/ Basic building skills / PULSO dealer
Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Friends: (1)

Joe
Hey Joe,

I know you posted this in 2005, but whatever happened with the Eaglet?

-M
Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Mojo,

Wow, this is embarrassing. 7 years and I still haven't completed the build! It's all built and ready to cover. I just haven't come up with a wing attachment that I'm happy with. I've tried a dozen different ideas and didn't like any of them. I need to just do it and get it over with. I just took everything off the shelf and weighed it. 13.5 ounces including landing gear wire. If it was built from the kit it would probably be close to 2 pounds at this point. Balsa is good!

I need to sell off a lot of planes/cars/helis/boat to clear some space. I don't have room for any more completed planes right now so the Eaglet stays sitting on its perch for the time being. Maybe in another 7 years.......

Joe

Old 07-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Wow, this is embarrassing. 7 years and I still haven't completed the build!
Hey, I have that same problem. My pronto build is stalled, my J3 is in the junkyard waiting for repair, I have plans for about 3 other planes, and now I am considering building an Eaglet.

I just took everything off the shelf and weighed it. 13.5 ounces including landing gear wire. If it was built from the kit it would probably be close to 2 pounds at this point. Balsa is good!
So I take it you just swapped out a lot of the fuselage ply for balsa? Any other modifications that you care to share?

-M
Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
So I take it you just swapped out a lot of the fuselage ply for balsa? Any other modifications that you care to share?

-M
Yeah, it's all balsa except for the firewall, landing gear mounting and the aileron servo plates. No other mods other than the yet to be finalized bolt on wing. I didn't use a thing from the kit. It was only used as templates. It's still 100% complete. Gotta get my butt in gear and at least get this wing mount done and ready to cover. It should be cool enough to fly again in another month and a half or so. I really loved flying my Eaglet back in the 80's. I'm sure this much lighter balsa version will be even more fun.

Joe

Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Dereck
Super Contributor

Could be close to a record, Joe Can sympathise with you on stuff taking a while. If I carry on not flying like I have been since moving to Chicago, I'll be building a similar model myself, to re-learn how to fly RC!

Am having a real hard look at the habit of 'collecting stuff'. Like, big deal, I have a tranny with 20 model memories - two of which are used! If I swapped everything I have flyable right now to my other tranny, I'd be able to fly everywhere from full pattern style aerobatics to small space indoors and still have one spare tranny memory out of its six.

Anyone want a Spektrum 7 channel tranny and a lot of receivers?

Re-defining the hangar - a Lazy Bee, 'cos I gotta have one, a Sig Kadet 'Rita for lazy days, my own-design pattern bird for exciting days, an own-design tailless because you have to have something that confuses your clubmates, a 'Nutball' for flying anywhere outdoors when its calm and indoors when it ain't, and a spare tranny memory for the new project 'own design'. Yep, my Futaba six channel, six memory tranny will do, thank you very much.

D
Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

WOW! Can't believe I didn't update here yet! I finally finished the Eaglet 50 and she's ready for maiden. Heck, she's been done for a while now but I just can't seem to get the chance to fly anymore so she still sits waiting for maiden flight. I figured I'd post a few pictures at least.

I took a few creative liberties during the build. Incidence is now 0-0-2. I had to do a bunch of cutting and sanding to remove all that built in "stability". The wing is now bolt on. The nose is cowled in mainly for looks. Wing was modified for dual aileron servos. I added two battery access hatches on the bottom of the fuse. The rest of it is pretty much true to design except balsa was substituted for ply wherever possible. Saved quite a bit of weight. About 12 ounces over the as designed weight.

Alas, I still haven't been able to maiden her. I have 5 other planes waiting for maiden too.....

For now just pictures......

Joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side (Custom).JPG
Views:	251
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	167496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing bolts (Custom).JPG
Views:	230
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	167497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aileron servo hatch (Custom).JPG
Views:	184
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	167498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatches (Custom).JPG
Views:	156
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	167499   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Bird (Custom).JPG
Views:	154
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	167500  

Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Sure is pretty. I can see you put all that time to good use.
Nice canopy and doors.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #17
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Thanks. Now I just need to get a chance to maiden her.

Joe

Old 03-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Too cool - great that you finished it up! Looks good too....
Old 01-03-2016, 02:32 AM   #19
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Wow, it's been 10 years since I bought the Eaglet 50 kit and used it to cut another kit from balsa vs the lite ply the original was cut from. I've had her done for quite some time. Just never got around to doing a maiden for some reason. Also somewhere along the line she ended up with an E-Flight 480-1020kv motor and an APC 10x7E prop. She draws just over 18 amps at WFO using a Thunder Power 25C 3S 2250 pack. Performance is quite acceptable. She only weighs in at 40 OZ AUW. A LOT lighter than a slimer version. She flys light as well. Needed very little trim after take off.

I made quite a few changes during the build to remove the "trainer" design. I zeroed out the incidence at the wing and the tail. I used only 2 degrees down thrust at the motor. I seems to work out well as she flies great and inverted flight requires very little elevator input. A slight rearward CG change will probably make her almost neutral. The wing is now bolt on and there are hidden dual aileron servos.

Gotta say from what I remember of my original glow powered Eaglet 50 from back in 1980 or so this one flies MUCH better. This one is a keeper!

I've just plain given up on trying to post a YouTube video here. Wattflyer keeps telling me I don't have flash installed yet it was just updated yesterday.

Here is the YouTube link to the maiden video: https://youtu.be/uEzkaGFdyig

Joe

Old 01-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #20
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Very nice Joe! I like it....brings back some fond memories for sure.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:30 AM   #21
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

View Wrench66's Gallery33
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flier's
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (20)

Great job Joe, congrats on your build it looks great!
The British chick talking to you over the radio is annoying.....lol.
I think I've flown there before a few yrs ago while visiting Spring Training
--Ray

Man, gravity is ALWAYS wanting something from me
Old 01-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #22
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Great job Joe, congrats on your build it looks great!
The British chick talking to you over the radio is annoying.....lol.
I think I've flown there before a few yrs ago while visiting Spring Training
--Ray
Thanks Ray. I don't know why I took so long to finish the project. If I'd known how well it would turn out I would have finished her a LONG time ago.

Actually I find British female voices crazy sexy.

The area I was flying at is by the now closed GM Proving grounds. Lots of nice paved road in what is either a housing or industrial park that went belly up. There are several regulars out there that fly mostly 3D and heli so I fly at the other end of the "park" because I fly conventional and like to do a lot of touch and goes. I don't want to get in their way. Plenty of room for everyone.

Joe

Old 01-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #23
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Oh jeez, this isn't good. I was just looking at the Eaglet 50 and had a thought that it would be very cool as a twin. I love twins. I made all the wing templates so the basic wing build will be a cake walk and I have many nacelle templates. I'm sure I can make one of them fit. Check back in another 5 years or so. I may have a twin wing done for her.......

Joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)