Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
LSP972

Friends: (0)
Default Sig SBach XA-41

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...ARF.html?E+Sig

Anyone doing this puppy? There is not much apparent interest in it… I only know of one thread on one other r/c forum regarding it.

Nice kit; typical Sig quality. Supplied hardware is not top-shelf, but usable. Speaking specifically of the pushrods here; I'm not thrilled with those, so I'll replace them.

Only two respondents in that other thread actually built one and flew it; both of theirs came out borderline tail-heavy. I used epoxy on the firewall and 6/32 hardware on the motor mounts, along with a slightly heavier DuBro Spinner, to try and add a bit of useful nose weight. We'll see how that works out. One of the guys replaced his original motor with a slightly larger/heavier one and stated that improved the CG situation, but I elected to stay with the recommended E-Flite Power 32.

Speaking of the firewall, it is "adjustable" to get the proper motor/prop/spinner length for good cowl fit. I just glued it up; you need carpenter clamps to do a proper job there. Fortunately, I bought a few of those at Perry last year.

Anyway… it ought to be a lively little ship. They said the solid dark blue bottom causes visibility issues in certain lighting conditions, so I added wide yellow stripes on the wing, stab, and fuse bottom.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
LSP972

Nobody?

Man… I hope all you no-respondents don't know something I'll wish I did…

Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

don't sweat it lsp,

85 views and no comments means you need to do a complete build review for the rest of us. i personally am a huge fan of Sig kits. counting the Herr kits they also make,I've got 7 built and one on the table.[smith miniplane]
I've noticed if folks don't have experience in a particular model there will be little to no responses to our questions. you already have 85 views which shows we are interested in hearing more about this plane.

it looks to be a sweet plane ya got there and i hope you'll share your experience even if folks don't chime in much....remember,posting build threads here at wattflyer isn't to make small talk or become popular,but more to share and leave a record for others to see. stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Stu you nailed it on the head on build threads here. You have done some and so have I we don't always get responses and that's all right. Leaving a record of the build might help someone else down the road with mod's, or little tricks about building that you can learn from the thread.

lsp hope you do a review of the ARF. I have looked at that one, and the T-clip. Almost bought the T-Clip I saw that one fly at SEFF last year it's a real nice flying plane.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 AM   #5
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

another tip to all posting build threads. use the main title first so google and bing searches will put you build thread out there to be found/

example is to call this build review"Sig sbach 3d arf assembly" anyone typing Sig rc ...will see it if they are searching for reviews. if i type Sig hog bipe i get my "Sig hog bipe,when pigs fly thread"

i think there might not be much out there written up on the Sig sbach since Sig doesn't sell as many of these as say 3dhs sells ajslicks. just my guess.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
LSP972

Well, I'm certainly not concerned with "becoming popular"...

Basically, I was looking for any tidbits from someone who has built one and is flying it. This is a new airplane, the first "batch" was shipped to customers in December 2013.

Sig is using SeaGull now as their ARF maker. While planes from this Vietnamese firm are decent, they are not in the same league as the higher-end Chinese makers (such as Sig used previously). I have no doubt this is to keep the selling price under $200. We are our own worst enemy, via demanding the lowest possible cost. The Chinese-built Somethin' Extra ARF was SUPERLATIVE at $225, but there are now too many cheapskates in this hobby... ah, never mind. That's another topic.

Still, nothing to really gripe about so far. The two guys on RCGroups who did one reported a tail-heavy condition which they had to correct with nose weight. I really, REALLY despise adding dead weight (especially on an electric ship), but aside from using a heavier motor or lighter (and more flimsy) tail wheel arrangement, there isn't much that can be done to avoid stick-on weights. I am doing what I can think of; 6-32 bolts instead of 4-40 on the motor mount, a heavier spinner, a heavier battery (4S 3900mAh ThunderPower), etc.

Its a bit too late for a "build thread", as I am almost done with it and didn't take any progress photos. But I can certainly do a "review thread" with photos, and in fact will once I finish it and gather my thoughts. So far it has been a basically uneventful assembly (as opposed to that AeroWorks 52" Extra which preceded this Sbach). I'll fit the wings to the fuselage and get the tail feathers installed this week, and it will go fast after that, as the front end and wings are done.

So, I'm guessing that I won't violate board protocol by starting another, "review" thread here?

Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

lps,it would be perfect place to start...lol. because you asked the question ,i searched for the Sig sbach online through bing and your thread came up first among the dealers selling,youtube vids and rcg's 7 page read on the sbach. so by the very title of your thread here,many who want info will benefit from your report. consider me subscribed.

2 weekends in a row screwed for me do to a lower back muscle pull. I'm taking 2 days off from work and hoping to heal better then last weekends mend.

could you post a few pictures of the inside of the fuse. i have the electifly 540t thats built extremely light and also had[note the word"had']a 3dhs 42" ajslick. i would like to see how Sig compares to these other builds. Sig kits are very solid and many would say over weight. like the hog bipe and the smith miniplane. very solid designs which many builders lighten it up with cutting out excess balsa. check out the fuse on the mini,1/4"sq sticks used through out the fuse.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sig smith miniplane 045.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	173979

Name:	sig smith miniplane 018.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	173980

Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
LSP972

I built a Mini-Plane some years back. Lotsa work in that puppy; almost as much as the Steen SkyBolt. Their old claim of "Craftsman's Kit" was no joke. I loved the stick-build, but wrapping and soldering those cabanes was... tedious.

I'll try to get you some fuse pics of the Sbach tonight. Its rather conventional, nothing new or exotic that I can see. Definitely not the latest 'geodetic' mini-truss, etc. techniques.

You want solid and overweight? Get yourself a GP CAP 540. I had one of the original "splat-ball" (referring to the bizarre color scheme) jobs. That airplane is a TANK... yet it flies okay on the recommended .46 two-stroke. I put an OS 91 four-banger in mine, and it was great. Had some serious engine overheating issues, though, even after installing some baffles. Guess I didn't get the baffle geometry right, after several tries.

Anyway... requested pics to follow.

So, you're saying just to stick my "review" in this thread? Doesn't matter to me, I can start another one if that would be better.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
LSP972

OK, tobydogs… hope these are sufficient. I can do more detail if you need it. Gonna break them up into several posts.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03254.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	173983

Name:	DSC03255.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	173984

Name:	DSC03256.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	173985
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #10
LSP972

Next views:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03257.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	173986

Name:	DSC03258.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	173987

Name:	DSC03259.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	173988
Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #11
LSP972

Last one, overall…

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03260.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	173989
Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 AM   #12
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

very nice pictures and they show what i come to expect from sig...solid build. the way the wing mounts with that recessed area in the fuse side is interesting.

how does the lg mounting block area look,i had to beef up the extra 260,and the electrifly 540t as they were written up in every thread i found to be weak and broke even on good landings. like you,i read up on every bird i build before making a purchase. i tried to get info on a hobbyhanger sae5 and got 0 responses. no build threads anywhere,so i didn't buy it and went with the smith mini instead.

the Sig sbach looks real nice and she should fly beautifully.

both the 260 and 540t are built with bare bones formers and stringers so a bad landing results in serious damage to the fuse. I've rebuilt the 540t and now the fuse sides are sheeted since it really got wreaked when the canopy blew off and hung up on the rudder/vertical fin doing a wot low flyby the flight line...lol...i thought the tail section blew up and landed her fast and hard. broke all the sticks and carbon fiber rods in the fuse.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 157.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	174004

Name:	Picture 108.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	174005

Old 03-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #13
LSP972

Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #14
LSP972

The gear block area looks entirely adequate for a model of this size/weight range. It is tied into the main fuse sidewall formers, which is pretty much standard fare for this type of design. The gear legs are aluminum, each half secured with two 4mm socket head bolts in heavy duty steel blind nuts. There is plenty of glue all around, but I added some medium CA "just because".

Since the gear legs are "faired" (they fit INTO the fuselage, as opposed to ON it), the old "I'll use nylon bolts on the gear so if I plow it in on a bad landing the gear will pop off and not do too much damage" trick isn't going to bef much help. Because they (the gear legs) will take out a good portion of the bottom front fuselage sheeting as they torque away from the mounts. Moral of the story... land good...

Cannot get any photos for you now; I just glued the horizontal stab in place. The fit was simply amazing. I had to "adjust" NOTHING. Perfectly square to the fuse sides, perfectly parallel to the wings, perfectly centered on the fuselage. I couldn't believe it, and measured three times to make sure.

Whoever designed the empennage arrangement on the AeroWorks Extra 260 52" electric ship should be forced to peruse this set-up; just prior to being given a cigarette and a blindfold.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #15
LSP972

Oops, sorry for the double-tap.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 AM   #16
LSP972

Lots of progress this evening. Tail feathers have been in place and secured; tonight I added the tail control surfaces, tail wheel assembly, and got the elevator push rod set up and zeroed.

I was not the least bit impressed with the supplied pushrod material, so I made new ones all around. I had to improvise on the rudder & elevator arrangement. I used clevises on both ends of the ailerons, and had planned to do the same on the tail; then I discovered I was fresh out of 2-56 solder clevises. Shucks, and other comments…

Rather than wait until the week-end when I can get to the LHS, I dug out my box of helicopter junk and made up pushrods by cutting some 2.5mm rod to precise length, then threading the ends and fitting ball links at the servo and control surface. This makes a great pushrod system, but is rather a PITA. Oh, well…

Anyway, I think I'll start a separate thread for the "review". I've taken some pictures as I assembled the back end; there's an area in particular that should be watched for and isn't mentioned in the manual.

I should have it buttoned up by the end of the week-end, barring any last-minute family obligations, etc.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a blue-bird day… and its "retiree day" at one of the local clubs. So I'll fly in the morning/early afternoon, and go do some "golf with a shotgun" (sporting clays) in the early evening. Retirement is entirely under-rated...

I plan to jump back on this airplane Friday.

See ya'll when she's done.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I'm happy with mine....

Flies great too.....

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s70.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	174034

Name:	s77.jpg
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	174035
Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
LSP972

Looking good, Mike.

How did your balance come out?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #19
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I needed 50g weight in the nose... That was with everything pushed as far forward as possible....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s69.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	174036

Name:	s68.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	174037
Old 03-14-2014, 03:08 AM   #20
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,133 Times in 2,042 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (307)

Very Nice looking plane Just about all ARF planes come out tail heavy, thats why I always use the biggest motor i can fit under the Cowl, So Far so good, because my planes have always come out perfect on the CG, I would rather use a bigger motor than dead weight, you may not need the extra power, but its nice to have Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-14-2014, 03:53 AM   #21
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Very Nice looking plane Just about all ARF planes come out tail heavy, thats why I always use the biggest motor i can fit under the Canopy, So Far so good, because my planes have always come out perfect on the CG, I would rather use a bigger motor than dead weight, you may not need the extra power, but its nice to have Take care and have fun, Chellie
I have only had a 2 of ARFs in my last 30 that needed nose weight. So this was out of normal for me. While 50g isn't too much it was odd from SIG as they are normally pretty good.

And I think you meant cowl, that is where the spinney part goes.

One thing I forgot. The orientation of the solid blue wing bottom STINKS. I highly recommend a splash of something that contrasts for orientation.

Mike
Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 AM   #22
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,133 Times in 2,042 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (307)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I have only had a 2 of ARFs in my last 30 that needed nose weight. So this was out of normal for me. While 50g isn't too much it was odd from SIG as they are normally pretty good.

And I think you meant cowl, that is where the spinney part goes.

One thing I forgot. The orientation of the solid blue wing bottom STINKS. I highly recommend a splash of something that contrasts for orientation.

Mike
Yep Thanks for the correction I think I was Having a Senior Moment Brain Fart LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #23
LSP972

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I needed 50g weight in the nose... That was with everything pushed as far forward as possible....
Ugh.

Well, not surprising in view of the supplied tail wheel assembly; its way overkill for this model.

My original plan was to replace it with a smaller, lighter Dubro unit… but too much time passed before I began working and I simply forgot about that; along with forgetting to buy some more 2-56 solder clevises.

If mine comes out tail heavy, I'll implement that plan; its not a difficult mod to do.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
LSP972

Mike,

Forgot to ask. What's your dry (no battery) weight?

Mine will be done later today. No test flights this week-end, unfortunately… sucky weather here.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #25
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

AUW = is about 2183g. I think my pack is about 360g so around 1825g or so...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)