Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
ewilliam

Friends: (0)
Default Flyzone Calypso ESC wiring issue

when soldering on a new connector onto my ESC, I mislabeled the connections between the ESC and the engine. Now, the engine beeps rapidly with every combination of engine and ESC wiring (I have tried all six possible combinations of three ESC wires with the three engine wires). The real issue is that the three wires out of the ESC are ALL BLACK. I cannot figure out which one is the ground wire (and the positive and negative). The one labeled two does some out of a different chip or from the back of the chip from the other two (labeled 1 and 3), but that is the only difference I can see from looking at the ESC.

The engine has color coded wires, red, green, and yellow, but I cannot figure out which one is ground, positive, and negative....emailed Flyzone, but have not heard back...

Need some serious help to recover from my mislabeling adventure...

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #2
Mivins
Marty

Club: Osprey Homestead FL
Default Which Wires?

I am assuming you have a brushless motor, and your ESC is for a brushless motor. If so, if you have the red + to + on the battery, and black - to - on the battery, that end is correct. Don't think most esc's emit any sound when reversed. I also am assuming you have the signal wire hooked to channel 3 of your receiver correctly. The other three wires don't have a + or - as the motor is phased for all three and you really can't hook them up wrong. The only thing that goes wrong is the direction of rotation. Switching any two wires results in the motor rotation going the other way.

If one of the three motor leads is not connected you normally can get a nasty growling or chattering sound, so if you have a bad connection that is a possiblility.

I tend to think you might have entered the program mode of you ESC and that can result in many different chip sounds. I suggest you find the instructions for the programing of the ESC and see if any of those chips sound about right.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

As pointed out - on brushless motors - there isn't a polarity (on the motor side). As pointed out by Mivins - the ESC power polarity MUST be observed.

Hook them up in any order and off you go. If it "spins" in the wrong direction, switch any two wires. This is also why your ESC wires are all black, no polarity.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Mivins View Post
Don't think most esc's emit any sound when reversed..
Fun fact no ESC's emit sound. Motors however can be made to act like a speaker - and the ESC is the thing that does that!

TaDa!

Mike
Old 01-24-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
ewilliam

Yes....it is brushless.....both the ESC and motor are stock to the plane. I am still getting a rapid beep when the battery is plugged in....the troubleshooting guides says that it is either the throttle is in the up position or the throttle needs to be calibrated....My DX8 freeks out when the throttle is up when it is turned on and I keep the throttle always on low by using a rubber band.

That leaves the throttle calibration. The DX8 guide does not have anything that specifically says throttle calibration and the searches I have done have not been very fruitful.

Where do you suggest I go next with this issue?
Old 01-24-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Turn the TX on. Then plug in the airborne battery - it will start to beep. Click the throttle trim down (lower the trim setting) until it stops beeping.

That should do it.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:32 AM   #7
ewilliam

That seems to have done the trick...the motor started to spin when I began to trim it down and then it stopped about halfway down...

Thanks!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems