Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

UAV / FPV Forum to talk about UAV / FPV electric R/C flight.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)
Default First FPV experience

I was at the flying field yesterday morning taking advantage of a bit of decent weather. Another club member showed up with his newly FPV'd Flyzone Calypso glider. It's got (I think) a packaged "Fat Shark" system.

I offered to be the AMA recommended (required ?) spotter, a position which, by the way, turned out to be pretty essential, twice. The first time, he was damn near out of sight and approaching a stand of trees which would have completely hidden the plane. I advised climbing and turning back . The next incident was a failure of the video feed - he pulled off the goggles but didn't know exactly which way to look, so I took the transmitter (and took over). I think there is a good chance the plane would have been lost had I not been there "spotting".

Then he graciously allowed me to try it out myself. What a hoot! A few observations:

- I now understand why FPV flyers are often sitting in a chair whilst flying - there is a very real risk of "vertigo". A disconnect between what you're seeing, and what your body is feeling, I suppose. It wasn't too bad, but a couple times I caught myself feeling a bit off balance. A chair would have been nice .

- Considerable experience would be needed in order to accurately judge altitude. Not an issue up high, but down lower, it's hard to tell the difference between say 50' and 10'. We were constantly telling each other how high the plane was, which helped a lot.

- You get what you pay for. The video quality of the "Fat Shark" system leaved a lot to be desired. Now, I don't know if perhaps it wasn't "dialed in" correctly or what, but the view was kinda fuzzy.

I'm going to have to try this myself, one of these days

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Might have to get a FPV Quad setup so I can practice to become an Amazon delivery pilot.

LOL These are pretty cool. A few guys have em all decked out with GPS, Autopilot, Heads up telemetry, etc. Geez, where's the flying part come in?

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 AM   #3
vicrider

I had my first experience flying fpv about 6 months ago. Im hooked.

There are a few different fatshark systems with different levels of video quality. I started with the predator v2 system which isn't bad, the teleporter being the worst for video quality. Both of those systems makes it pretty easy to get started since they are plug and play. Right now im using the base sd which is pretty good.

I understand what your saying concerning the vertigo. On my first few flights I was swaying around like a drunk sailor. I have since got used to it and still fly while standing.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
spog

I tried FPV a couple years ago. After one flight I was completely bored. There's not much you can do in terms of flying skills. It's like driving a car. I was also bored quickly driving a snowmobile yet others get years of enjoyment from it. I need the stick banging action 3D planes and helis provide to keep my interest.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV