Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Huffy01
Huffy01

Friends: (2)
Cool New Radian Pro

Just got an email from Parkzone for a new E glider.
The new Radian Pro has ailerons, flaps and a 6 channel receiver.
Looks like the polyhedral wing has gone.
I don't know how much but I think it's gonna be on my "want to have" list.
I am just wonder how much it's going to cost and how long it's going to take to come in the Australian stores.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I think it looks great!

Receiver Ready
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ5475

Bind and Fly
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ5480

Radian Pro BNF

Key Features
  • 5-channel control - throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder and flaps
  • Powerful 480-size 960Kv brushless outrunner motor installed
  • E-fliteŽ Pro 30A brushless ESC installed
  • Ready to fly in minutes
  • Durable, lightweight and repairable Z-Foam™ construction
  • Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM2 AR600 receiver installed
  • 3S 11.1V 1300mAh Li-Po battery pack included
  • 2- to 3-cell DC LiPo balancing charger included
  • Requires a full-range DSM2 aircraft transmitter (sold separately)
Overview

Designed with experienced sailplane pilots in mind, the RadianŽ Pro comes out of the box with ailerons and functioning flaps that let you take advantage of sailplane mixing functions like reflex, camber and crow. But you don’t have to have a programmable system to fly it. Anyone with a 5-channel sport radio can enjoy basic four-channel control with flaps using the included Y-harness.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 09-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Old Tin Man

Friends: (0)

Wonder if the wing has the same shape at the root as the standard Radian? What about just buying the replacement wing and adding your own servos, wiring and other small parts?

If this would work could be a lot of Radians getting a nice set of new wings!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

COMPARISON OF THE ORIGINAL RADIAN TO THE RADIAN PRO

I have a Radian and I love it. I also have a bunch of other gliders including competition level gliders, both RES and full house.

I have not touched a Radian Pro yet, but I have looked at the specs. Based on those specs and the videos I would expect some differences in how the two will fly.

Assuming they have about the same wing area, the Pro is heavier than the original. The Radians I have weighed, with the stock battery have been around 28 ounces. The Pro is reported to fly at 34.6 oz with the same battery as the Radian RTF. That would suggest about a 6.6 oz weight difference, +/-.

That makes the Pro about 24% heavier. Assuming the same wing area, the pro will have a 24% higher wing loading. For those who have added ballast rods for windy days, this would be like having a 6.6 oz ballast rod in your Radian.

That is not a bad thing as most full house glides have higher wing loadings than RE or RES gliders. It comes from the extra electronics and the need for a different structure in the wing. If the wing were to flex as much as the stock Radian that could cause binding of the control surfaces. So I expect they did more stiffening of the wing which naturally adds a little weight. The video also says they stiffened the fuselage.

Assuming a similar airfoil, the Pro will likely need to glide faster to stay in the air. But even at 24% higher wing loading it is still pretty light for a 2 meter full house electric glider. The higher weight and faster glide will likely make it more more manageable in higher winds. And the higher glide speed will give it better penetration into the wind. This can be important when you are trying to "come back" to the field against the wind.

Also the somewhat faster glide will allow you to cover more sky faster in pursuit of thermal lift. In soaring circles we talk about the glider having legs, that is being able to reach out farther and faster to find the off field lift more easily.

The wing is flatter. That means that the pro will not be as stable, as self leveling as the original. It will also be less subject to side gusts so it should handle better in the wind. And the ailerons will give you more positive roll control in wind. You will have to fly it more actively. I would say the same of my AVA, a RES glider, vs. my Supra, a full house glider. Both are competition grade high end gliders. So, the Pro will likely require more attention in the air.

For those who also like to fly aerobatics, the Pro will be more aerobatic. The ailerons will give you the ability to roll the plane. If you radio can mix the ailerons and flaps together you can set up full span ailerons for even faster roll. And if you radio has snap flaps, where the flaps move with the elevator you can make much tighter loops or much tighter turns. This can be especially nice when slope soaring. Don't think you are going to get pattern plane kinds of flying, but the Pro will be more aerobatic than the original.

You could fly the Radian Pro using a DX5e but you won't have access to any special mixing features as this radio has no mixing. The video shows full span reflex and camber as well as crow. These are not available on the DX5e. They are also not available on the DX6i and need some special programming effort on the DX7 and similar class radios.

Does that mean you can't fly the Pro on these radios? Absolutely not. You don't have to have these features, but they do allow you do take full advantage of that wing.

Here is an article, located in the Novice Lounge of the Eastern Soaring League. It talks about the recommended and optional features of a sailplane radio. You might find it interesting.
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223

The Pro looks like a great package. And if it follows the quality and flight character of the original, Parkzone will have another winner on their hands. I have a number of high end gliders and I can't wait to get my hands on a Radian Pro.

I would love to write an article on them. A tale of two gliders.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 09-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Wow they do look very nice
http://www.parkzone.com/ParkFlyers/#pkz_radpro
Take care
Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 09-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Cool

Hi
Do enjoy
Take care
Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 09-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
COMPARISON OF THE ORIGINAL RADIAN TO THE RADIAN PRO

I would love to write an article on them. A tale of two gliders.
GLIDERS!!!!~! Gliders are rocks that don't fall quite vertically. These are SAILPLANES--a specialized group of aircraft capable during unpowered flight of gaining altitude from thermal lift. Ed! Why do we let you live? hehehehe!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

Hi
Try and win a Radian Pro
http://www.rcradionetwork.com/forums...giveaway-rules
Take care
Hank

Old 09-25-2010, 05:09 AM   #9
Huffy01
Huffy01

Originally Posted by Old Tin Man View Post
Wonder if the wing has the same shape at the root as the standard Radian? What about just buying the replacement wing and adding your own servos, wiring and other small parts?

If this would work could be a lot of Radians getting a nice set of new wings!!!
I downloaded the manual lastnight before my server time out.
I has countersunk screws to hold the wings .
I'm not sure what 6oz are in metric but I'm guess the it's over 100 grams.
I thought 4 micro servo's and some wire would weigh less. I can only hope it has some more airframe strenghtening over the RE version.
I have put a 5.5oz fishing sinker on my Radian to see how it would perform before I put my video camera on it.
Flew well but lost the long flost that the Radian is known for.
3oz is the ballast weight I use for windy days.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

28 grams to an ounce

6x28 = 168 grams

The weight difference is more than servos and wire, it is structure.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 09-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

View Saddlebum's Gallery5
Default An Open letter to Horizon Hobby...

Dear Horizon Hobby Product Manager for the Radian Pro;

Congratulations on the foresight and thoughtfulness that went into the concept and design of the Radian Pro. Those of us who own, and love, our Radians will be your loyal customers.

Perhaps you have already thought of this; but on the oft chance you have not, may I make a suggestion that will cost you nothing, but will add immeasurably to the satisfaction of those of us who will upgrade to the Pro.

As your market research has probably already shown, we Radian owners are typically sailplane newbie’s. For the most part we are not full-house competition flyers looking for a knock around sailplane but rather we are beginners in the sport of soaring.

The Radian Pro is going to draw tens of thousands of us into the world of computer radios and the complexities of programming them to meet the capabilities the Radian Pro offers.

My suggestion to you is to provide detailed written instructions with illustrations as well as a well produced video (on your website) instructing us on the details of programming our Spektrum computer radios to take advantage of all the features you have built into the Pro.

Having built a career in an international software company and been responsible for supervising the training of over ten thousand application users, I fully understand that it is easy to “design the features” into a product and then leave it to the customer to try to figure out how to use them. But I can tell you from experience sir… that approach will lead to extensive frustration and dissatisfaction with the brilliant product you have just released.

Remember, most of us are “stepping up” to our first full-house sailplane and our first challenge of programming our Spectrum Dx6e’s, Dx7e’s and perhaps even the Dx8e’s to take advantage of ailerons, flaps, reflex, camber and crow.

We need HELP to properly program our Spektrum transmitters!

It will only take a bit of time for your experts to produce the documentation and the video but it will add immeasurably to the satisfaction we will derive as owners of Spektrum and E-Flite products.

Sincerely;
Keith Bettencourt
(Saddlebum)
Old 09-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Keith,

That was a brilliant post!

Yes, Horizon, this will help the new pilots and will help you sell more radios and more planes.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Agreed! Great show, Keith! The increased complexity and the newness of a computer radio surely give me pause as well, especially since I'm having such a great time with the original Radian without spending more money. My conservative bent tells me to go slow on this one. Ain't I boring?

It sure is a gutsy but apparently necessary move on Parkzone's part to part with the elliptical dihedral wing that makes the RE Radian so distinctive and reminiscent of the Hobie Hawk for those of us old enough to have coveted that amazing sailplane.

I wish them success. What's next, a thinner wing and different motor/prop to turn it into a hotliner? Radian on Steroids!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Keith,

That was a brilliant post!

Yes, Horizon, this will help the new pilots and will help you sell more radios and more planes.

Thank you Ed. Coming from you, that means a lot. I did put it in writing and mailed it off to Horizon today.

...The Bum
Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #15
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Agreed! Great show, Keith! The increased complexity and the newness of a computer radio surely give me pause as well, especially since I'm having such a great time with the original Radian without spending more money. My conservative bent tells me to go slow on this one. Ain't I boring?
Thanks RR. I have a Dx7e and tried to program my Beaver (4 servo wing) to have control of each servo independently but gave up after a few frustrating hours. I REALLY hope Horizon will produce a video as I'd like to be able to use the features of the Pro.

...The Bum
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
WingingIt74

I've been wondering the programming also. I have a Radian that has the large aileron mod. However, it would be easy to separate and add a few servos. I've been pondering how to program them to work like on the RP. I actually was thinking about this a week before I found out that the RP was being released.

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

Winging It! with Travis & Jeremy
On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Clssy54,

I would not split that aileron. I would just set them up as flapperons unless you are going to cut the wing and flatten it out.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 09-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #18
WingingIt74

Here is a video of the Radian that I have, from the previous owner. Looks like it would be simple to split.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--7ev3fhEBY

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

Winging It! with Travis & Jeremy
On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 10-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #19
squidger

Friends: (3)

Difficult to know if I should refer to it as dihedral or polyhedral or what but I have taken out half the curve in the wing by flattening the wing out and gluing in some carbon rods. Havn't had enough decent weather yet to test it.Should still be stable but change direction a bit quicker hopefully.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #20
squidger

Right I've tested it. It's no where near as stable as before. It definitely changes direction quicker but for some reason it doesn't like rolling. It should be easier to roll with less dihedral. Still flies ok but you have to watch it and correct it sooner cause it's less neutrally stable. As a result it can be thrown about more and tends to carry on with most control movements rather than returning itself to straight and level. Definitely picks up speed quicker. Don't know if I like the changes or not. I'm gonna wait and see if I can order a pro wing for it.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
Huffy01
Huffy01

I just wanted to say this thread topic is about the Radian Pro not a thread on modifying the Radian R/E.
I found myself thinking that someone had flown the Radian Pro......
Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #22
squidger

My bad. I put the last two posts in the wrong section.Thought I was in the original Radian thread.Mods please feel free to move if you deem necessary
Old 10-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #23
Huffy01
Huffy01

I was just looking at the Radian Pro (pre-order) $189USD only $20USD more than the original Radian.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #24
tezzact

View tezzact's Gallery1
Club: Namagi Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default New Radian Pro - first flight impressions

Hi everyone,
I got sick of waiting for a multiplex EasyGliderPro so when Parkzone announced the launch of its Radian Pro, I jumped at it. Modelflight (Aus LHS) delivered a PNP version and I maidened it this w/e. We appear to be one of the first countries to take shipment - nice for a change.
Generally it is a dream. Docile but with the ability to turn on a dime to chase that bit of lift.
It comes with all servos, control rods fitted, with a 30Ah ESC and 950kV motor. Just fit your own battery, receiver and transmitter.

The only thing I have changed is the prop. It comes with a strange sized folder- a 9.5x7.5 which is barely enough to launch in level flight. Climbing is a struggle. I changed it to a 10x8 and then ran the wattmeter over both configuratioins using a 3S 1800Ah battery.
At full throttle, with the 9.5x7.5 it gave 13.42Ap and 160Wp with 30oz static thrust.
At full throttle, with the 10x8 it gave 21.75Ah and 244.4 Wp with 40 oz static thrust. Motor warm, ESC cold.

It looks the goods and flies well. I'll get the hang of the flaps and "crow mix" this week.
Cheers,
Tezact
Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #25
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by tezzact View Post
Hi everyone,
I got sick of waiting for a multiplex EasyGliderPro so when Parkzone announced the launch of its Radian Pro, I jumped at it. Modelflight (Aus LHS) delivered a PNP version and I maidened it this w/e. We appear to be one of the first countries to take shipment - nice for a change.
Generally it is a dream. Docile but with the ability to turn on a dime to chase that bit of lift.
It comes with all servos, control rods fitted, with a 30Ah ESC and 950kV motor. Just fit your own battery, receiver and transmitter.

The only thing I have changed is the prop. It comes with a strange sized folder- a 9.5x7.5 which is barely enough to launch in level flight. Climbing is a struggle. I changed it to a 10x8 and then ran the wattmeter over both configuratioins using a 3S 1800Ah battery.
At full throttle, with the 9.5x7.5 it gave 13.42Ap and 160Wp with 30oz static thrust.
At full throttle, with the 10x8 it gave 21.75Ah and 244.4 Wp with 40 oz static thrust. Motor warm, ESC cold.

It looks the goods and flies well. I'll get the hang of the flaps and "crow mix" this week.
Cheers,
Tezact
You are saying that, at 80 watts per pound and 30 oz of thrust the Pro was barely able to launch in level flight? That is extremely had to believe. That should produce at least a 45 degree climb, which is more than adequate, and I suspect it would do even a little better than that.

At 21.5 amps (not amp hours) I believe you are running that motor at close to double its rated steady watt capacity which I believe is 14 amps and well above its burst capacity of 18 amps.

I would not recommend the prop you are using based on the numbers you provide. If my specs are incorrect than I am open to correction.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes