Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)
Default Hobbyking Invictus EF-1 pylon racer.

I picked up a Hobbyking Invictus last week to give me something a bit different to fly and to get the adrenalin flowing! I just got it for tearing up and down the field, not for real racing.

This is hobbyking's video of the Invictus:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I was really impressed with the kit, very nice design and build quality. I did hit a few minor hitches in assembly but nothing too major, I'll list them just so anyone else can watch out for the same issue:
  • Despite using the recommended purpose made NTM EF-1 motor I found that the cross mount that comes with the motor is too big to fit the mounting plate on the model. Luckily I had another cross mount that was almost the correct size but it would have been frustrating if I hadn't had one in the spares box. Even using the alternate mount I had to slot the holes slightly, the mounting holes in the motor box seem to be non-standard pitch.
  • Similar issue in fit of the motor to the cowl. The motor was too short so I had to add 6mm spacer behind the cross mount to move it forward so the prop and spinner would clear the cowl (so buy some 6mm long spacers!)
  • The recommended 16g (for ailerons) and 21g (for elevator and rudder) servos are too small for the cutouts, so I had to make some infill plates. The bottom of the elevator and rudder servo also hit the side of the fuselage where it tapers in below the servo tray, so i had to raise them up (low profile servos would be ideal).
  • Build instructions tell you to solder on the clevises to the pushrods but you cant because the pushrods are stainless steel (which solder wont take to). There are screw down pushrod connectors supplied for this purpose but not mentioned in the instructions, I prefered to epoxy the clevises on.
  • Horizontal stab on my kit was warped such that it had noticeable 'dihedral'. I used an iron to pull it straight by re-shrinking the covering.
  • Recommended throws are wrong in manual. The manual says 3/4" for the ailerons which is physically impossible, 3/8" is probably what they meant to say.
  • The space above the tray where the Rx goes is very shallow due to the wing fitting over. You have to use a low profile Rx with end connections (AR8000 is ideal), it mentions this in the manual but better be prepared in advance.

Other than these very minor niggles it built well and I think looks great once finished. Maiden went without any problems, she sounds fantastic in a fast pass a terrific whistling sound. It's a nice flying model, very smooth like on rails and nasty vices but does need to be kept moving along. It would make an ideal windy day model for experienced flyers.
The wheel pants probably wont survive long on the fields i'm flying from, all the landing today were 'greasers' but even so the pants are cracking around their mounting points, this isnt a fault of the model, more the site I'm flying from.

So overall highly recommended, certainly not a beginners model but for the experienced flyer there is nothing to worry about. Quite surprisingly for the type of model it is there is no tendency at all to snap or drop a wing at low speed. This seems to be down to very clever use of using a different airfoil at the tip, and washout.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

sexy

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

BD

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes