Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)
Default SIG MFG "SMITH MINIPLANE" build thread starting winter of 2014,jan 29th

i am getting a good feeling about this kit build of the Sig smith miniplane. i ordered it Sunday 1/26/14 in the late evening and it arrived at my door today 1/29/14. thats amazing!!

i was also shocked at the outer shipping box's size compared to the kits box that was very well packed in news papers so it wouldn't get damaged. it arrived in perfect condition.

so heres some history on the full size home built aircraft that glen sigafoose modeled the kit to. also a few pictures to start the build off.

i should be popping pc's and sorting the sticks either Thursday or Friday. perhaps begin the build on the weekend if i get the drawings copied at staples. i like to build on the copies and hang the original prints on the wall in front of me.

Click to enlarge - Double Click to reduce

Historically, the full-scale Smith Miniplane is one of the designs that helped start the modern homebuilding era. Originally designed and built in 1957 by Frank Smith of Fullerton, California, the Miniplane was an early example of engineering with the amateur homebuilder and weekend pilot in mind. It could be constructed with tools easily within reach of the average craftsman, and in the air it was stable and easy to fly. The top wing spanned 17 ft., and the empty weight was a mere 600 pounds. Powered by a 100hp Lycoming, the tiny Miniplane cruised at 120 mph, climbed at a fantastic 2,500 ft. per minute, and was highly aerobatic. It was just what many sportsman pilots were looking for!
R/C Sport Scale BiPlane
In 1974, Glen Sigafoose, then President of Sig Mfg. Co., acquired a complete Smith Miniplane to use for aerobatic practice. Glen's beautiful red, white, and black aircraft was the inspiration for this mini version of the Miniplane.

here's the work tables ready to go.... really looking forward to this birds conversion. i plan on making the cock pit th battery access hatch and may need to relocate the servos for the elev/rudder ,won't know till i study the drawings and start planning.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 330.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	173157

Name:	Picture 332.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	173158

Name:	Picture 333.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	173159

Name:	Picture 334.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	173160

Name:	Picture 335.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	173161

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #2
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Nice looking plane.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Unclebuck21228

Club: Sumter Model Airplane Club
Friends: (0)

Always like the look of that plane. Where did you order it from?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

I've got one that was built back in the 80's I beleive. Still running a glow motor in it, just too much fun to convert. It has an old school Enya .46 in it. Only thing I did to it was put a new fuel tank, servos, and receiver in it.

If you are looking for a good fit, the JR MN48 servos work great.

It's a blast to fly. Fun little airplane.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Smith MP.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	173167

Name:	Smith MP Servos.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	173168

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

buck,
i got it directly from Sig Mfg. they used to carry this plane at advantage hobby for less than Sig sold it for,but not now. everywhere else was the same price. $123 for the kit.

bill,
judging from your picture,the servos are mounted up against the cock pit floor on their rails. if i am seeing that right,i will want to push them to the rear and closer to the lower wing so i can make space for a hatch through the cockpit floor and be able to adjust the positioning of the lipo to attain cg and also ease of switching and plugging in the battery. may go to staples tonight and get copies of the prints.
should be pretty easy to see if the hatch idea will work once i get a chance to work on this bird,but earliest looks to be saturday.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

I have to follow along so I'm sub'd in for your build.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
buck,
i got it directly from Sig Mfg. they used to carry this plane at advantage hobby for less than Sig sold it for,but not now. everywhere else was the same price. $123 for the kit.

bill,
judging from your picture,the servos are mounted up against the cock pit floor on their rails. if i am seeing that right,i will want to push them to the rear and closer to the lower wing so i can make space for a hatch through the cockpit floor and be able to adjust the positioning of the lipo to attain cg and also ease of switching and plugging in the battery. may go to staples tonight and get copies of the prints.
should be pretty easy to see if the hatch idea will work once i get a chance to work on this bird,but earliest looks to be saturday.

That is exactly right, under the cockpit area. There is a removable plate under the motor on mine to get to the fuel tank. When I was considering going electric with this one I thought about using that as a battery access point. Through the cockpit area looked like it would work also. Moving the servos back would help with cg for sure.

Mine only has one aileron servo too. It works ok but I like having two much better. If I were to build one I would go that direction.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #8
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i also agree on duel servos for the ailerons, just not sure i will do it yet since i really expect to fly scale and take it easy.

now I've emptied the wood on the table to sort it all out,what isn't in the kit is a sheet that has inventory of all die cut sheets,sticks by size and what they are used for,and all the blocks,hardware,ect...ect. man,i sure get lazy sometimes[jk] i miss being able to verify all pc;s are there and accounted for but won't take long to sort it all out.

i always loved the ease of sorting wood if the inventory sheet said 5 sticks 36"long 1/4 x 1/4 for elevator framing,and so on. right now i have to measure each pc and place them on the table with a strip of masking tape that i write the sizes on so building will go smoothly and accurate.

should have everything sorted and pc's popped out and cut the fuselage pc's on the jig saw Saturday if all goes well.

heres a picture of the way i like to layout wood for building,this was the sig hogs sticks sorted out.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hog build pictures 012.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	173201

Old 02-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Nice. Look forward to watching it come together.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

Back when I flew glow engines, I built one of these.
I had a SuperTiger .46 up front and I entered it in
a couple of "Sport Scale" events. I even won a
trophy once. I loved that plane., It got
'shot down' when some idiot had tu turn on his
TX to cycle his retracts or something. Wish I had
2.4 Ghz back then

I look forward to watching this come together.

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)

Subscribed!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #12
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

be for warned...this is going to be a long build and i will post it but time is filled with other things and building takes backseat . my wife and i joined a gym and we commute together to go to work. this will make going Mondays,Wed's,and Fridays easy.

today was a day i went to work only to find the center closed do to snow,we went to the gym and then I cleared snow off 3 neighbors yards besides my own.

enough excuses.....i leveled the table so the wing builds will be flat and set the fuse drawing under the protection sheet and a pc of wax paper on top of that. organized the sticks and blocks ,and got the scroll saw ready to cut the 1/4" x 3" printed balsa which will be cut close to the lines and then i have a small drum sander on the drill press for sanding to the finish size. thats the first step going forward,cut and sand all those pc's and get it out of the way. plus i want to run the vacume while cutting since i just cleaned the workshop from the rv4 build. i do hate getting everything covered in balsa dust while building,but thats the result of having such a small workshop.

snow predicted again for Wednesday and i may have another day off. that would be great. just a few pictures to show I'm ready and willing...just need the time when I'm not exhausted.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 336.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	173267

Name:	Picture 337.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	173268

Name:	Picture 338.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	173269

Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

we got hammered today, 6 more inch of very wet snow. then several hr's of sleet turned to rain. helped the neighbors clear their driveways and walks. i have really good neighbors so it a pleasure to help.

spent a few hr's in the workshop,but now need to go outside in the dark and try to clear a gutter from allowing ice melt thats backing up under the corner thats not draining causing a leak in my sons bedroom. i just drill a hole in the plaster ceiling and let the water drip freely into a garbage pail.....dang this winter really is getting old,i need spring time for roof replacement and flying...

few pictures on tonights progress. fuse sides and printed balsa pc's cut and sanded close to the lines.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sig smith miniplane 005.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	173285

Name:	sig smith miniplane 003.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	173286

Old 02-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Stu I figured by now they would have that kit laser cut. Your build is a real builders kit having to work to get the parts ready. Oh well to me that's part of the fun of kit building.

We got lucky about a foot or more of snow and some sleet, but not much. Fun ride into work today.
Make sure you call the insurance company we had roof problems with some leaking. They sent out a adjuster got up on the roof and asked if we had any hail storms which we did. He had me get up on the roof and showed me what hail does to a shingle. Large welt marks where the asphalt part was knocked off and the felt was showing. We got the roof re shingled on the insurance companies dime plus ceilings painted, lucky the rock lathe didn't get damaged.
Give them a call you would be surprised what they might do for you.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #15
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i just cleared an ice jam in the gutter,it was level with the top of the gutters and allowing water via ice to leak in under the shingles. i got an est for replacing the roof in late oct and didn't want to do a new roof while it is cold. i figured waiting till summer when the sun heats the shingles flat would be best. oh well,can't do anything now. predictions are another storms going to dump on us again. i might as well cut into the ceiling and dry it out or mold might grow.my fear is if water is going down the wall. i may just give the insurance company a call,but we didn't have any hail damage.....just old age roofing. maybe the damage inside will be covered.

springtime hurry up and get here!

as far as the cutting of balsa,it is fun. i take extra time to make sure pc's are the same. the smith mini doesn't have an offset motor mounting fire wall so theres no left/right sides to build. the pc's i cut and used on the fuse sides needed the lines almost completely sanded off to match the plans.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #16
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I enjoy it too I did a little carving tonight, and a repair on my build calling it quits for the night.
Stu you would be surprised what your insurance will do for you. My roof was 20 years old, and they still took care of it.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:58 AM   #17
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

this truly is a fun kit so far,and i already made a mistake since whats written in steps in the instructions doesn't specify a pc of filler at the lg block by the pc of ply where the wing dowel goes. so as i have it now the lg is 3/16th of an inch to far back. i may move it forward as i know lg location on the hog bipe was determined to be better 1/2 inch forward of stock location.

anyway ,I've been studying the drawings more now to see if theres any obscure details not printed in the instruction book but shows up in the drawings.

heres a few pictures of the instruction book first and i was building over the drawing. 2nd & 3rd pictures are the build as is now. the last picture shows th pc I'm missing between the landing gear block and the ply for the wing dowel, the drawings showing the gap i didn't include is about 1/4".

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sig smith miniplane 010.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	173309

Name:	sig smith miniplane 006.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	173310

Name:	sig smith miniplane 009.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	173311

Name:	sig smith miniplane 007.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	173312

Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 AM   #18
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

got a little work done in between errands and dinner and a movie with my wife and friends. the movie" sole surviver" was very sad and reminds me of the film "black hawk down".

work completed was the rest of the 1/4 sq sticks on the rear fuse. i also moved the landing gear mounting blocks to where they are supposed to be. sheeeesh.

installed the blind nuts in the fire wall and epoxied that in place. the deck that holds the cabane strut tubes is also in place and tubes are set in epoxy. Sunday I'll be doing the formers down the top of the fuse and sheet the forward area that makes up the cock pit sides.

a few pictures to keep thing interesting. this is with out a doubt one of the most solid builds what with all the 1/4 inch thick balsa and i'm looking forward to sanding the fuse down once all the stringers are a on.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sig smith miniplane 011.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	173364

Name:	sig smith miniplane 013.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	173365

Old 02-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Awesome a classic SIG build. Brings back MANY fond memories.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:54 AM   #20
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

this really is a classic build, I'm lov-in it. maybe to much. i spent several hrs in the workshop today and got a little done.

formers on the top of the fuse,stringers installed which proved to be a challenge due to the stingers not wanting to touch all the formers to be glued,but perseverance prevailed and they are solidly glued in. i must say ,the sheeting on the front and sides of the fuse was a total pleasure!!! the assembly sequence is really well thought out by the designers of this kit.

the cowel also ca'd together very nicely and sanded quickly,I'll apply very little bondo,fine sand it and paint it when i finally decide what colors to go with. blue/white/black pinstripes as a sun burst pattern is what i may choose.

i also threw together a spacer for using when shaping the blocks of balsa on the stabilizer area,this makes for using the mini wood plane a easy task and both sides get done while already glued in place.

so,heres a few pictures to document progress and any suggestions from viewers with previous SMP[smith mini plane] experience will always receive the thank button responce..lol.... stu

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sig smith miniplane 014.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	173408

Name:	sig smith miniplane 016.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	173409

Name:	sig smith miniplane 017.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	173410

Name:	sig smith miniplane 018.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	173411

Name:	sig smith miniplane 020.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	173412

Name:	sig smith miniplane 021.jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	173413

Name:	sig smith miniplane 022.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	173414

Name:	sig smith miniplane 023.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	173415

Name:	sig smith miniplane 026.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	173416

Old 02-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #21
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Awesome progress...
Old 02-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #22
hkeelljr

Friends: (1)

Looking great
Old 02-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #23
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)

Ditto on the great!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:55 AM   #24
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks for the compliments. there are a lot of the SMP forums out there,but its nice to follow along others building here at wattflyer. i figure it's no sweat to snap a few pictures to share.

i don't expect to get anything done after work but am looking at a 4 day weekend. also may get snowed out for Thursday as snow seems to be in the forecast again. i'm really looking forward to the days warming up.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #25
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

looking for some suggestions.

this bird should weigh in at 5 1/2lb's auw. i want to use my 4000mah 40c zippy batteries for duration flying,but also want to pull unlimited vertical performance. i'm open to researching all links shared and was considering the hacker a40's but don't want the 5 cell recommendation. i also don't think the power 32 will pull the unlimited vertical and the power 42 would also need 5 cell.....

i have turnigy sk series 35-48-1100kv motors from the old design that I've installed in 5lb + planes using a 12x6 apc with 80amp esc on 4cells. this set up rocked!!!!! unlimited ,powerful vertical on the tower hobbies uproar that weighed in auw 5 3/4lb's.

so any suggestions for this SMP power setup will be helpful. thanks,stu

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft