Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-01-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)
Default Winter Build Challenge

Two of the clubs I am associated with are going to have a Winter Build Challenge.

Maybe the club you are a member of, or just a group of flying friends, could set up your own build challenge for this winter.

These are the rules we are going to go by.

2016/2017 Winter Build Challenge.

Welcome to the Winter Build Challenge. The idea of the challenge is to encourage people to build model aircraft. You will not be judged on your building skills. That is not what the challenge is about. The point of this challenge is to encourage people to build, and to create a platform to help each other out with tips and techniques.

We will have a maiden flight fly-in. The aircraft must take off, make at least one lap and land. If you are not comfortable flying your plane, you can have someone else fly it for you. At that time successful entrants names will be placed in a hat. A name will be drawn to win a kit, (more prizes have been added, and will continue to grow).

Here are the build challenge rules! Remember to post your picture IN THIS GROUP!!!

Here are the rules:
1. Must be a new build from a balsa kit. No repairs jobs of previously flown aircraft.
2. Must post at least one pic of the build here on this Google Group, and must be a current picture.
3. No ARF’s or Foamies.
4. Previously started kits ok, but must be less than 50% completed/not covered when picture is posted.
5. Can be any size or type of kit (lock/tab, die cut, scratch built)
6. Can be glow, gas or electric
7. Open to any AMA club member
8. Must be completed prior to AND flown at maiden party

We have been fortunate enough to have companies support us with our events in the past. And once again, two great companies have stepped up to support this event

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

Our club always has an informal build group send winter kicks of 'all terrain' hobbies. We build for snow use.

No prizes or winners - just good all round fun. I'll try and dig out last years video of the day all got together ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
Bald Paul

View Bald Paul's Gallery9
Friends: (4)

I think I would have a 100% chance of winning this in my area. I think I'm the only one around that still builds.

That's pretty sad. :-(

"Will it go round in circles, will it fly high like a bird up in the sky?" - Billy Preston sums up my CL flying.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

Actually, this isn't a challenge to build something to fly in the winter, regardless of the name.

The Maiden Day Fly In, is on June 10th, so some people can get the plane finished.
If I don't get wrapped up in some other project at night, I may have 2-3 planes built by then. We don't get enough snow around here anymore to plan a Snow Fly, last time that would have worked was in 1985.

Main thing is, there are many modelers today that have never built a model. They just buy the newest ARF and go fly it. Some don't even save the pieces after a crash, just get another one.
For me building the plane is therapeutic. I worked on or ran construction jobs all my life. I needed my quiet time building a model, to settle my mind.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

I know what you mean ... having grown up from the time when you had to build - it saddens me to see todays flyers all with same decked out models.
We have 3 Hummers, incl mine in club ... 3 Skippers incl mine ... etc. etc. - all the same !

Even if you go upmarket to EF or PA ... same b***y cosmetics ....

My point is that Individual models are a thing of rarity today. I take great pride in being able to present something different on the field.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #6
Abuelo

Club: Open flying at the Chandler Bowl
Friends: (6)

Does it have to be from a balsa kit? What about from plans or an original balsa design?

Science has proven that six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #7
crusty1

Friends: (0)

I'm kicking myself for selling a bunch of my kits. Im Zlin, GolderbergSuper Chipmunk, & Cub, p40 Warhawk.
I still have a few left Great Planes Electro Streak, Ace All Star Bipe, 2 Sig Hummers.
Building was always half the fun, for me anyway.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Originally Posted by Abuelo View Post
Does it have to be from a balsa kit? What about from plans or an original balsa design?
That would be totally great.
I think that a plane built from plans is really good.
And a new design is even better.

The idea is simply no ARF or Foamies, we want people to build the plane.

Balsa is what this hobby was built on, there are now sidelines of molded foam and sheet foam. The first ARF planes I ever saw were from Lanier Models, they flew but were heavy and hard to repair so I was told. Never had one, never figured I would go to an ARF, but yes I have several now. Sometimes they can do things in a factory that would be very difficult at home.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft