Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
gooner

Friends: (0)
Default dx6i flaps

Hi, can anyone help, i have a dx6i and im puting together a plane with two flap servos, my ar6200 has an aux channel which im using, i have a lead to make both servos move in the same direction, but with the flaps they move in opposite directions, it works fine on the aileron chanel with them both going in the same direction but not on the flaps, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong, thanks, Neal
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but this picture is a bit confusing. A little Sherlock Holmes action here. Are you trying to make flaperons? The aux channel for a flap sounds like a bit much, but from your description it's even an assumpstion to think you are using it for one flap servo.

I think we need more info to help. At least I do. Like are the servos physically installed in identical orientations, or mirrored to each other? Heck, I didn't even know you could mix flaps through the aux channel.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by gooner View Post
Hi, can anyone help, i have a dx6i and im puting together a plane with two flap servos, my ar6200 has an aux channel which im using, i have a lead to make both servos move in the same direction, but with the flaps they move in opposite directions, it works fine on the aileron chanel with them both going in the same direction but not on the flaps, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong, thanks, Neal
Oh, and the 'lead which makes both servos go the same direction' would be a y-harness. Is it something other than that? This makes your post more confusing in that you mentioned using the aux channel. For what?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
gooner

Thanks for the reply, the plane im putting together is a war bird, it has seperate flaps, one on each wing, each with its own servo, also ailerons have there own servo so not including the retracts four wing servos in total, the servos are fitted as per instrutions and only fit one way, as i need both flap servos to move in the same direction they are pluged in to the aux chanel with a lead to make them move in the same direction ie one leas has a reverser fitted, trouble is they move in opposite directions, i know the lead works as i tried it on the ailerons and the both moved in the same direction, i have done no mixing, ive just used the aux chanel for the flaps as per the manual, hope that helps, Neal
Old 09-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
gooner

Hi, just to add, the six chanel rx has six ports, thottle, ruddder, elevator, ailerons, gear, aux, i have used the aux chanel for the flaps as per the manual, it works but only in opposite directions, cheers for the help
Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

Perhaps I'm not understanding you but if your reversing Y-lead makes the flaps move in opposite directions, i.e. one up and one down, why not just replace it with a standard (non-reversing) Y-lead ? Then they'll both move in the same direction.

Steve
Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Club: Gooney Birds Flo, SC
Friends: (13)
Thumbs up y harness reverser

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Perhaps I'm not understanding you but if your reversing Y-lead makes the flaps move in opposite directions, i.e. one up and one down, why not just replace it with a standard (non-reversing) Y-lead ? Then they'll both move in the same direction.

Steve
Thats what I see as well,.........

FB50

Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Thanks for the reply, the plane im putting together is a war bird, it has seperate flaps, one on each wing, each with its own servo, also ailerons have there own servo so not including the retracts four wing servos in total, the servos are fitted as per instrutions and only fit one way, as i need both flap servos to move in the same direction they are pluged in to the aux chanel with a lead to make them move in the same direction ie one leas has a reverser fitted, trouble is they move in opposite directions, i know the lead works as i tried it on the ailerons and the both moved in the same direction, i have done no mixing, ive just used the aux chanel for the flaps as per the manual, hope that helps, Neal
Take the reverser off the one flap servo?

If the aileron servos are mounted in the wings in mirror image of each other (say, both horns facing the wing tips) they will work with a simple Y lead. The surface will move in opposite directions.

The flap servos should be mounted in the same orientation (say, both horns on the right side of the servo). That way a simple Y connector will move both control surfaces in the same direction.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
gooner

Hi, thanks for the replys, i did think about doing that but it just seemed to easy a fix, will try it tomorow
Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Hi all,
I think I have the same question here but I must admit the answers and the question confused me. I currently have a phoenix 2000. I took the option to include flaps. I have a dx6I and can not get them to work. both servos are linked with a non reverse Y harness and I attached it to the AUX in my orange receiver. When I flip the flap switch on my TX the elevator moves not the flaps. I checked the manual on how to assign the switch to AUX but was unsuccessful in finding how to do it. Is there a mix I need? Attached is a picture of the underside of my Phoenix showing how my servos are aligned in the wing. In case that makes a difference. Any help you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0521121717.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	160200 Underside of Phoenix 2000

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I'd like to try to help bonez, but elevons? Looks like a standard ailerons, elevator, flaps configuaration to me.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I'd like to try to help bonez, but elevons? Looks like a standard ailerons, elevator, flaps configuaration to me.
Whoa your right I did type elevons. I ment elevator I should never think and type at the same time LOL. Corrected my post thaks XM for the attention to detail

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Ok, that makes sense. I'd go to the Flaps screen on your 6i and see what's programmed in. (Page 68 in the manual.) The left numbers are for flaps, and the right numbers are for elevator. The elevator up/down (The numbers on the right.) should both be 0 if you don't need pitch correction.

Don't know if you were aware of all this already, maybe it will help. Good luck!

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot,(This is kind of hard to explain...) I found with the 6i, the default flap up/down being 0 means when you are initially putting the servos in and installing the servo arms, your flap servos are centered. If you don't go into the Flap page and give a negative number in the 'up' flap position before installing the arms and the servos, you may limit how much flaps you can use, like I found in my Cessna Turbojet. The servos were all glued in and such when I discovered this, and I would have liked to have about 1/3 more flap, but the servo was at its travel limit pretty much. Too much trouble to tear apart.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #14
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hey Xmech
Took me a long time and reading over and over again and some videos and even more help from a feind but I finally got it. I am excited to try them out soon.
Thanks again
Fishbonez

Edit: buy the way these videos were very helpful for us visual learners. Pg 68 is good but along with these 2 videos it will help you to understand the setup better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdkIV...e_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dmmf...e_gdata_player

Old 05-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)

I built a Fun Cub were the flap servos are mirror imaged. Simple solution. Order a reversed servo from Servo City. Now I can use a standard Wye harness for the flaps. Using a reversing Wye is not recommended by Spektrum. It has to do with a bunch of technical Mumbo Jumbo I don't understand. Setting up the Flap - Elevator Mix is a little confusing at first.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

What you do is swap one servo round 180 degrees ........ you probably have both servos with arms facing fuselage or both facing out ? That gives aileron config where they move ailerons in opposing directions. But turn one servo round ( you may find rod is now not straight to surface horn ... ) ... then you'll get both flaps moving correctly with a Y lead.

To correct rod to horn angle ... you move horn or servo a touch to straighten up.

You can of course try to find a reversed servo - but in these days of Tx reversers etc. harder to find.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #17
bdel
bdel

Club: Cleveland rc club

Was having problems putting flaps onto my multiplex cubfun. You guys gave me the answers. The servos were going in opposite directions, so, after reading here, I turned one of the servos around. They work now in the same direction. I will need to ben the rod angle a little. I will check to see if a "reversed" servo is available and not too costly. But as of now, I can go with the set up. Took the suggestions from pmullen503, xmech2k, bigjohnny, and solentlife. Thanks, bdel
Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #18
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Wahoo glad to read you were able to get them going Bdel I think they should make an easier setup for flaps. I think it might be easier with more modern Spektrum TXs such as DX8

Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Wahoo glad to read you were able to get them going Bdel I think they should make an easier setup for flaps. I think it might be easier with more modern Spektrum TXs such as DX8
Yup
Both my DX7 and new DX8 transmitters have program capabilities to allow plugging in the flaps to two different aux channels. Then the transmitter is programmed so both flaps move in the same direction. This also requires a receiver with enough available channels. It's a little bit of reading to make it work with the DX7, doing it with the DX8 is an order of magnitude easier.

The DX8 also has fairly simple adjustments to the travel of each flap servo, along with individual adjustment of the neutral position of each flap servo. Similar for aileron servos, they can each have adjustment for travel and zero position.

This is a requirement when the flap servos are installed out of sight inside the wing, so it won't work to just use the "other side" of the servo's arm.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
bdel
bdel

Club: Cleveland rc club

I have old technology radio. It's a channel 38 (72 megs?). But works great. It has a rotating switch labeled flaps. That is what I'm using for my flaps. Also, I got a Y harness w/reverse. Now both servos are mirror, but work in same direction. I'm learning-little at a time.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
E-Challenged

Had same confusion setting up dual flap servos in my Tritle Stinson Reliant, finally turned one servo over. I'm using a Hitec Eclipse 7 with 2.4Ghz module. Trying to use full Land mode features along with differential ailerons doesn't work with Eclipse 7 or new Eclipse 7 Pro. I am planning to get an Aurora 9 that will give me both plus 3 position flaps, variable speed flap and landing gear servos, plus other amenities like being able to monitor motor battery voltage via telemetry. The A9 and DX-8 seem to have easier programming of mixes etc., with screen graphics.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
Westwind

Default Re: dx6i flaps

I have a dx6i with an AR600 on the fun cub. Still in build mode but I got the flaps working in three positions 0, about 40 and about 80. I put one servo on the gear ch and another on the aux ch then use mix one and two to trigger them so when I hit gear both flaps move the I hit flaps and both move again

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #23
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I was about to suggest usin seperate channels for the flaps and then mixing them. This is probably what I would do.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:30 AM   #24
NoResults

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yup
Both my DX7 and new DX8 transmitters have program capabilities to allow plugging in the flaps to two different aux channels. Then the transmitter is programmed so both flaps move in the same direction. This also requires a receiver with enough available channels. It's a little bit of reading to make it work with the DX7, doing it with the DX8 is an order of magnitude easier.

The DX8 also has fairly simple adjustments to the travel of each flap servo, along with individual adjustment of the neutral position of each flap servo. Similar for aileron servos, they can each have adjustment for travel and zero position.

This is a requirement when the flap servos are installed out of sight inside the wing, so it won't work to just use the "other side" of the servo's arm.
I know this is an old thread but I want to program the flaps for speed of deployment and was told that can't be done on my dx8 as they are on seperate channels. Is that correct or am I reading your answer wrong.

Thank you,

Daave
Old 03-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #25
fhhuber
Super Contributor

There are always around the limitations of a TX.... such as digital programmable servos that allow you to adjust speed or a "sequencer" or similar device that allows you to make the adjustment.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...regulator.html

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions