Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)
Default Old J-3 cub Build Old Power System/New Twists

I'm gathering up stuff to finish my Sig 1/6 Scale J-3 Cub that I started over 30 years ago. I'm going to try to use an Astro Flight Geared 25 Cobalt and old AF 211 speed control ( no BEC), a Kool Flight UBEC to power the servos and powering the servos separately via the SPC port on the Hitec Optima 6 receiver. Battery packs will be two 2200mah 3S packs in series for around 25 volts. This motor and battery packs are heavy but the 6 foot wing will probably make this a scale-like flier. I am also building a clip wing for the model. I am attaching a rough schematic showing the motor/esc/bec/receiver hookup as coordinated with "Alan T" Hitec guru.
I am covering this model with Solartex from Balsa USA and using the E-Flite Super Cub 25 G articulated bungee landing gear, perfect size.

Detailed build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1754853

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	may 2009 005.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	163903 dummy Continental from balsa and manila folder

Name:	may 2009 010.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	163904 opening side door and window

Name:	may 2009 013.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	163905 Instrument panel from MS X screen shot

Name:	Cub Power Setup FSjpg.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	163906
Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I'm gathering up stuff to finish my Sig 1/6 Scale J-3 Cub that I started over 30 years ago. I'm going to try to use an Astro Flight Geared 25 Cobalt and old AF 211 speed control ( no BEC), a Kool Flight UBEC to power the servos and powering the servos separately via the SPC port on the Hitec Optima 6 receiver. Battery packs will be two 2200mah 3S packs in series for around 25 volts. This motor and battery packs are heavy but the 6 foot wing will probably make this a scale-like flier. I am also building a clip wing for the model. I am attaching a rough schematic showing the motor/esc/bec/receiver hookup as coordinated with "Alan T" Hitec guru.
I am covering this model with Solartex from Balsa USA and using the E-Flite Super Cub 25 G articulated bungee landing gear, perfect size.

Detailed build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1754853
Yeah
I've had a number of those Astroflight brush type motors ranging from their 05, 15, 25, 40 and 90 motors. All were geared.

One of my models has had a variety of motors starting with the geared 40 Astro motor and 22 2400 mah Nicad cells to the current Hacker A50-12S motor with a 6S2P A123 pack. The Hacker is a direct drive, no gears to wear out in one years flying time.

Going from the Astro geared 40 to the Hacker A50 motor resulted in much more power at the prop, ALONG WITH near double flying times. Seems impossible, but that's what I got.

The Astro 40 Geared motor was used with a 13X10 APC-E prop, the Hacker is used with a 15X10 APC prop. The Hacker turns its 15 inch prop near 1000 RPM faster than the Astro motor and its 13 inch prop. The Hacker motor hauls my scratch built 8 pound model straight up out of sight.

Nuff said.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
E-Challenged

If using the AF25 geared etc is too heavy for scale-like flying, short duration, etc. I'll change to much lighter brushless power. Plenty of room to achieve proper cg without adding nose weight.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
If using the AF25 geared etc is too heavy for scale-like flying, short duration, etc. I'll change to much lighter brushless power. Plenty of room to achieve proper cg without adding nose weight.
That's what I'd do. It's not a matter of power, you can always put a smaller diameter lower pitch prop on a brushless motor to get the scale like power you are after. And, that results in a much longer flying time than the same system with the brush type motor. (Been there, done that. My first Astroflight motors were purchased in the mid 1980's)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Club: Fraser Valley RC Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (4)

E-Challenged, I used a similar setup in the D VII seen in my avatar, back in 2000. The model weighed 10 lbs, span 75", WL about 16 oz/sqft. I used the Astro 25, with a custom fitted MEC 4:1 gearbox, 20x2400 nicads, and a 22x10 wood prop. The model was not over powered, but had more than enough oomph to do scale loops and rolls, and an easy 8 min. flight time, with enough left for a go-round, if needed. A meltdown of the esc (not from overload) caused a fly-away and crash in 2002, and the plane still awaits a rebuild and updated power.

Brad
Old 11-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
E-Challenged

If interested here is my build finishing thread on RCG:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1754853

Have been mounting servos in wing and fuselage, trial fitting the E-Flite Super Cub bungee landing gear and getting ready to lay out wiring and panel the cabin, make seats, etc. Expect model will weigh about 6 lbs and fly like a Cub based on all the input I've been getting.

PS: Caution! Don't plug power into Optima receiver SPC port with wrong polarity, almost fried my Kool Flight UBEC!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LG3 (5).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	164292
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
E-Challenged

Deleted accidental duplicate post
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
E-Challenged

Update: I have the false floor with seats, sticks, rudder and brake pedals finished plus I have throttles, trim, carb heat and fuel controls installed in side panelling. I'm going on to finish external fuselage and tail feather work and wing stuff in preparation for covering and final assembly ( I made a long list of inter-dependant things to do in sequential order so I won't have to undo and redo ( hate that!!) Looks like another month of stick to it work. The E-Flight Super Cub 25 bungee landing gear ($18) looks like it was made for this model. I have a Carl Goldberg scale-type sprung tailwheel assembly on order, looks like the picture. ($20)

BTW: This 6-foot span Sig RC-3 Cub kit still costs only $88 on Sig's website. The kit is quite complete including hardware, decals, etc. Does not come with dummy engine, it's a true traditional scale stick-model builder's kit, originally designed by Chuck Hollinger and sold by Berkeley. Chuck passed away last year, was a member of Harbor Soaring Society, club in Costa Mesa, CA.If you build it, might want to build it as a 2-piece wing version. Sig also sells a "clip-wing" version for $96 and a kit to build an optional clip-wing for the stock Cub for $29. I have the clip wing kit and will build it later

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GRASS5.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	165837

Name:	More Details 001.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	165838

Name:	More Details 3 002.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	165839
Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
E-Challenged

Update: Have everything covered in Solartex, need to spray with Krylon clear, "satin" Solartex is too flat or matte looking for my taste. Almost ready to install windshield and side windows, other details then final assembly with all strut attachments, bungee landing gear,etc. There have been a lot of "etc's" with this one. Someday I'll build something per plans with no extras.

Here's the link to the full build thread on RCG:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1754853
Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
E-Challenged

Default Taxi Testing Completed-Nearly Ready for Maiden

Needed to add toe in to control veering to right or left at near takeoff speeds. Need to add expo and dual rates to Aurora 9 trannny. Geared, brushed, Astro 25 and old 211 speed control, and two 2200mah packs in series is working well adequate power. CG looks good. Need to correct slight warp in right aileron and it'll be ready for maiden flight out at OCMA/Swenson field in Santiago Canyon. Will need to leave pilot, passenger and dummy floor with seats and controls out of model to change battery packs through side door/window. In place for display.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cub Pilot 002.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	172445

Name:	Cub Pilot.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	172446
Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
E-Challenged

Successful maiden at Fairview Park field Thursday Jan 9!!!. Planned to do more taxi testing, you know how it goes, something pushed the throttle stick upward and it was flying so I went along with it. CG was perfect, needed some aileron and rudder trim flew like a Cub. Flies nice and scale-like at 1/2 throttle. Old AF geared, brushed 25 motor and two 2200mah 3S lipos in series is perfect, surprisingly quiet. Should get 8-10 minute flights safely without working the lipos too hard.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My Cub 9.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	172824
Old 01-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
E-Challenged

PS: I'm only getting about 5 minutes duration on the two 2200mah 3S lipos in series but power is sufficient for easy loops. Old geared AF motor is pulling 30 amps at WOT starting at 24.8 volts and quickly dropping to 22+ volts at mostly moderate cruisng speeds. I'm going to have to go to two 4500 3S packs in series or a single 6S pack to get around 10 minutes duration. Model can carry added weight no problemo. Another solution is to go to a larger capacity 5 cell pack and use a larger 12-13" prop.

PS: I am monitoring motor battery voltage on my Aurora 9 screen via telemetry. I was too conservative previously. Battery voltage is staying above 21 volts with cruising flight for around 8 minutes, Li Saver LVC will kick in around 18-19 volts. The E-Flite bungee landing gear gave way due to rubber o-rings breaking. The remaining ones looked old/cracked. I replaced o-rings with Dritz 1/8 diameter elastic (mini-bungee) cord from Jo Ann's fabric shop. Better bungee action now for smoother landings.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0214.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	173211
Old 06-02-2014, 03:55 AM   #13
E-Challenged

Crashed the Cub last week. Serious damage to nose and cabin, minor damage to wing and stab. Cause of crash under investigation. Bent shaft on ancient Astroflight 25 brused geared motor. Kurt Massey, New Creations Hobby in Texas, is assembling a new gearbox/shaft assembly for me from NOS parts.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
E-Challenged

Repaired model good as new, had a number of nice flights, crashed again with major damage, cause unknown. A friend donated another 1/6 Scale Sig Cub built many years ago on lunch hours at Douglas. This model is much lighter covered with Oracover, was powered by a small 4 stroke. I installed a Cobra 3515/14 and two 2200mah lipos in parallel, made functional side door and window for battery changes. All scale fittings from the previous Cub were installed, made new dummy 4-banger Continental. The donor Cub flies like a dream, does inverted, loops and rolls, touch and goes and scale-like takeoffs, slow flight, and gentle landings. Even flies well in gusty winds. Too much fun!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft