Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)
Thumbs up F-86 Sabre "Jolley Roger"

While hanging out browsing the web I took a look at Hobby-Lobby.com and began browsing I cam across this http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f_86_sabr...ueryId=3503056 As most of you know I am in the USAF and what you may not know I am in the mighty 90th Missile Wing The Jolly Rogers. The Jolly Rogers who at the time of the Korean War was the 90th Bomb Wing and flew numerous missions in this plane. Who am I to deny my military heritage and well yes I just had to have it. Looking forward to this 64mm EDF. Should arrive next week hopefully in time for the weekend. Will keep ya all posted

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
tarheal63

Send a message via AIM to tarheal63 Send a message via Yahoo to tarheal63
Friends: (3)

I have the panther, and although different characteristics, it is built with the same equipment. They are pretty tough planes, but therre are some things most folks do out of the box on these, most upgrade the esc, or move it in the path of the airflow to cool it. These are great planes and alot of fun. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my panther.

HZ SuperCub. PZ Spit(Older), Dynam EZ Hawk, GWS A-10(prop), HL F9F Panther, GWS ME-109, E-Flite P-47D, Jodel BeBe 9, HL Wicked Wabbit P-47, BL Slow Stick, PZ T-28, Electrifly SE-5A, HL Mig-15, PZ Stinson, Quad and Tricopters
AMA #973528
Old 03-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Nice plane. It's great you have some history with it. A guy at the field just maidened his Skyblazers version of it. (Looks like the same plane, different scheme?) It flew great right out of the box. I'll bet it'll be a blast.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thanks Phellas. I am exited to try it out. I hope it fairs better than my Stinger. Which I just finished putting back together for the umpteenth time.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Did not feel like typing today. Yet I sit here typing this LOL So I made a video today of the the testing of the Plane. Pretty excited about it so far. However I am concerned about the CG. According to Pg 10 of the manual CG is between 3 inches and 3 1/8 inch from the wing chord after placing battery in with no room to move back she balances but tends to lean toward the tail. Somewhat concerning may add a small fishing weight to make her just a bit nose heavy.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf f86-inst.pdf (739.0 KB, 96 views) Manual

Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Looks like she's itchin' to go! Good luck with the maiden!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Did not feel like typing today. Yet I sit here typing this LOL So I made a video today of the the testing of the Plane. Pretty excited about it so far. However I am concerned about the CG. According to Pg 10 of the manual CG is between 3 inches and 3 1/8 inch from the wing chord after placing battery in with no room to move back she balances but tends to lean toward the tail. Somewhat concerning may add a small fishing weight to make her just a bit nose heavy.

best nose heavy than tail heavy make all maiden plane flights nose heavy, the MFG seems to never have the CG placed right on their products, maybe because they want you to crash and then have to buy another plane

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

BTW, I Get to Do The Maiden Flight on this Jet LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
BTW, I Get to Do The Maiden Flight on this Jet LOL
I would welcome the chance. I may wait to fly it until I get a bit better at flying my Stinger 64. Depends on how itchy I become

Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thnaks XM, the maiden may be a bit longer than I want it to be cause I think I may practice some more with the Stinger

Old 03-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Fly it, bonez!!!!!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Fly it, bonez!!!!!
Your aint kidding came real close today

Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #13
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, as the drunk old men say. Fly the damned thing. I bet its way easier to fly than the Stinger!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 03-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #14
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, as the drunk old men say. Fly the damned thing. I bet its way easier to fly than the Stinger!
LOL yea very true. I think it will be easier as well I am also planning on doing the afterburner install from flitetest

Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Fianlly a maiden

Well today finally came. Yep I finally got a chance to maiden the Jolly Roger. It was awesome yep a short flight because while in flight I noticed I needed to make some minor physical adjustments for the trim. She was a rush and a great plane and pucker factor was only an 8 outa 10. The "bombs" designed to be used to protect the servos and assist in a belly land are not that affective upon landing one snapped off and needed to be glued back on. If that is all I have to worry about then life id good with this EDF. Hope to have more video of her ASAP

Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Well today finally came. Yep I finally got a chance to maiden the jolly roger. It was awesome yep a short flight because while in flight I noticed I needed to make some minor physical adjustments for the trim. She was a rush and a great plane and pucker factor was only an 8 outa 10. The "bombs" designed to be used to protect the servos and assist in a belly land are not that affective upon landing one snapped off and needed to be glued back on. If that is all I have to worry about then life id good with this EDF. Hope to have more video of her ASAP

Very nice Jet I had a F86 with a K&B 61 with a prop, that was a fun plane to fly, Then i had a problem with a pin hole in the fuel line inside the fuel tank, the engine would run then die out and that caused a crash on take off, it got about 10 feet into the air then the engine died and I lost control, i was not going fast enough to recover, oh well, i will get another one soon I have been selling my left over nitro planes on EBay, i sold 2 nitro planes yesterday, just have one more to sell, its a Extra 300L /60 size ARF, it nice, That will be for sale on EBay soon too, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thanks Chellie,
That means a lot coming from an expert like yourself. I was calling you to come perform the maiden but something about you blocking my number. I promise to let you have the next one
I am going to try for another flight today/ this evening

Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #18
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I am beginning to really like this plane. I may even like it better than my Stinger. I flew it again yesterday. No wind and I did not think it would get airborne. The stinger tried but couldnt even without the landing gear, will have to look into that. This plane is a roller coster a real blast. My friend Gary filmed and tossed it for me. He did a sound check and cme back at 48 mph. Not to fast by some standards but for me thats awesome. I honestly must say this plane gets my heart rate up...like busting out of my chest.
Enjoy

Old 04-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Stormovic

Friends: (0)

I was stationed at Warren in the late 60s in the 90 cams. We worked on the Hueys that went to the sites. I loved the Wyoming open country and sky but the wind was always blowing. How do you handle the Wyoming wind?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Way to go, Fish ! A real winner you have there. Having fun with my 50mm Skyangel series T-45. These little EDF's are a blast!

Am now looking at the F-86, F9F Panther and T-33.

Off topic, but I fell upon a very cool little park in of all places, Bowling Green, KY the other day; www.Aviationheritagepark.com Have a restored F9F-5 Panther, T-33 Shooting star and a F4D Phantom II on display. Low and behold, the President of their association, Arnie " Rooster" Franklin was there. Turns out they are getting an F-111 next year from the USAF boneyard in AZ.. It was his wingman's plane. Arnie was commander of the Libyan Bombing raid ( Eldorado Canyon mission ) ordered by Reagan in April ,1986.

It's always cool to get a close-up look at the full scale planes I yearn to fly in the rc world. And then talk to a fighter jock who made history? Over the top for me.

Saluations,

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #21
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

cme back at 48 mph. Not to fast by some standards but for me thats awesome.
Hey, that's like 775 scale MPH!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #22
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Hey, that's like 775 scale MPH!
Hey now I am in the 100mph club

Old 04-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #23
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Way to go, Fish ! A real winner you have there. Having fun with my 50mm Skyangel series T-45. These little EDF's are a blast!

Am now looking at the F-86, F9F Panther and T-33.
Thanks Hawk
EDFs I think are great. It gives my heart and blood pressure a work out. I think Nigel is on the right track with a launcher but unortunatly I do not understand his plans on how he made it. Hope to build one soon. The stinger needs a heck of a throw to get in the air up her at 6000 feet but the F86 just a good toss and she will climb nice and easy. The F86 also has the entie fuse for the fan to suck air through where as the Stinger has it on enlets on both side of the fuse and up here I think it is a big disadvantage thus far

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Off topic, but I fell upon a very cool little park in of all places, Bowling Green, KY the other day; www.Aviationheritagepark.com Have a restored F9F-5 Panther, T-33 Shooting star and a F4D Phantom II on display. Low and behold, the President of their association, Arnie " Rooster" Franklin was there. Turns out they are getting an F-111 next year from the USAF boneyard in AZ.. It was his wingman's plane. Arnie was commander of the Libyan Bombing raid ( Eldorado Canyon mission ) ordered by Reagan in April ,1986.

It's always cool to get a close-up look at the full scale planes I yearn to fly in the rc world. And then talk to a fighter jock who made history? Over the top for me.

Saluations,

Hawk
That is awesome

Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #24
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Flew Jolly Roger again today twice w/out incident. She just books on along. Almost got crazy with her but she moves so fast I got fearful and just enjoyed flying scale. This plane is so exciting to fly. I am eager to get used to her so I can speed her up if anyone has sugestions on how to do it I am listening. Not sure when I will increase her speed but she is sure a blast. I originally thought that the Stinger is a good first EDF well I lied it is definitly the F86 she requires no wind and with the open fuse she can suck in all the air she needs. I may have to look into a Mig.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #25
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Hey Fish,
Glad to hear you're having a blast with the F-86. Skyangels (Jpower) has one in their Humming Bird series . It's a 50mm DF with a 645mm WS. Such an Iconic fighter !

The Red Arrows T-45 is now repaired, An aileron started to detach at the seam during flight. Mayday ! Got some Welders glue and all is better now. Same thing happened to my RadJet.

If had the money, I'd also get the T-33(T-bird) and the F9F Panther. Father's Day is around the corner. Time to start dropping hints...

Have a basic ground halt this weekend in DFW. Texas Spring winds. Spent some time repairing the squadron. I wonder if you can an AP&P for RC -LOL
Buil the SU-37 and the Air Hogs Titan $10.00 airplane .

Chompin at the bit to get back out there

For some reason I cannot open videos posted here unless they have You Tube links. Must be a setting somewhere.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets