Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Griff Murphey

Friends: (0)
Default One Year Flying WW-1 FLYZONE MICROS

I started flying RC last November with the Nieuport 17. I have used up three planes in my first year of flying. I am in my mid 60's and apart from disastrous experiences with one and two channel gas powered planes 40 years ago I had not flown RC. My biggest mistakes flying these planes, and I should add, my last two have been SE-5s, are flying in too much wind, and in bad areas. By bad areas I mean too many obstacles, or too much concrete. If you put the plane on the ground and the wind is moving it, that's too much wind. I suggest looking at the tops of trees... Winds aloft can mess you up.

My most common repair with the N-17 was knocking the rudder off after cartwheels. I used a Du Bro hinge. When the control surface foam hinges fail, scotch tape can be used or a dot of silicon sealer. I really like silicon sealer to reglue landing gear. ACC is not really a very good repair material, as it has no bulk and will fail. I use it to tack a torn wing, then I go back with epoxy. I also bust the motor loose quite often, and flow epoxy carefully around it to reglue it. On the SE-5 I had to cut an access panel in the top of the cowl. On the N-17 once I smashed the dummy radial, I could access the loose motor from the front with the cowl off. Some people like to reinforce the strut attachments with epoxy before they fly them.

Axles fail easily on the SE but overall it is much more robust than the N-17.

I have a couple of RC advisors who all say I should not have started with micros and my guess is that is probably right. I fly about every 2-3 days, usually a plane lasts 3-4 months, logs about 150 flights 30 seconds or longer and maybe 1-200 more launches such as trim check flights... Many resulting in crashes or hard landings.

All in all lots of fun. Passers by ask me if I built it... I tell them the building comes in AFTER you start flying them. Overall they are great fun and do things I could have only imagined my childhood Guillows and Comets might have done.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
tr4252

Friends: (3)

Hi Griff,

I was the same way, only without the prior RC experience. I started with a Champ, and I'd recommend it for you, too, because it flies pretty well and is relatively robust and easy to fix. I couldn't keep it in the air long enough to actually call it flying at first, but improved in time. I'm 62 and don't have the reflexes and eyesight I used to. I like WWI planes too, have a micro Fokker Dr1 but am afraid to fly it. Doing OK now, with scratchbuilt planes. Good luck with your micros.

Tom
Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Griff Murphey

Yeah I have been advised the Champ is a great starter. Well I did not go that way.

My "logbook" totals over 300 flights 30 sec. Or greater - would estimate another 300 plus, I am getting there. On still days I can fly good boxes and figure 8's, occasionally make clean 3 point landings. No loop, yet. The DR-1 is on sale right now at $20 off from Tower Hobbies so I have one on order and one on my Santa Claus letter. Actually from the you tubes I have seen the DR looks very stable and docile. The only problem is it is so tall it does tend to nose over on landings. I want to try some conversions of simple stick and tissues although scratch is not hard.

Try to fly daily weather permitting.

I think and hope the styrofoam pilot that has been in all 4 of my planes has learned something.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
azcat

I've had a lot of fun with a micro Albatros.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era