Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-03-2015, 03:11 AM   #1
makaveliks
Sheetmetal guy

Friends: (2)
Default Beast 60e

Hey, Not too sure whether to put this in the 3D section or sport, but here it is. My Beast 60E

I got this plane a few months ago and have been slowly getting the electronics and putting it together. I went cheap for power, and not too cheap for servos.

I have a Turnigy G60 500KV motor, Turnigy D-Lux 100A ESC, Zippy 5000mah 6S Lipo, Yep 20A BEC(overkill, but liked the adjustable voltage and price), JR Matchbox, Xoar 17x7 prop, 3" carbon fiber spinner, Hi-Tec HS-5245MG aileron servos, Savox SA-1283SG tail servos, and pilot. I also added an interior which is just one I found online printed on some photo paper. It originally did not have a pilot though, so I altered the PDF in Photoshop and added a pilot in the seat. For a RX I got the Spektrum AR636 AS3X Sport RX. It appears to be the new one to replace the one recommended in the Manual. I'm having trouble programming it with my phone. I thought I had it programmed but it seems to have done nothing. I'll have to do some more reading on this...

I'd like to get it all set up tomorrow. As of now I do not plan to fly a maiden until spring for this plane though.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,145 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (324)

I would Do The Maiden Flight on it, But its Way to Dang Cold out where your at, So I will let you do the Maiden Flight this Time Very Nice Plane,

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-03-2015, 03:25 AM   #3
makaveliks
Sheetmetal guy

Thanks. I am a Pitts-aholic. This is my 4th Pitts now. They make up almost half of my current plane collection... LOL. I just love the way they look and they fly pretty good too. I'm sure there's much better flying planes, but as long as I never fly one I'll be happy with these! LOL
Old 01-03-2015, 03:30 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Here is my Scratch Built Beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wclRLPcxXLI

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61279

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-03-2015, 03:35 AM   #5
makaveliks
Sheetmetal guy

Pretty good little scratchbuild! Looked like a hand full just after takeoff!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:48 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by makaveliks View Post
Pretty good little scratchbuild! Looked like a hand full just after takeoff!
It was out of trim being a Maiden flight, but after a few passes i got it dialed in

Old 01-03-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
makaveliks
Sheetmetal guy

Here's the others I have:

27" modified plans built profile:

E-Flite Pitts Model 12 15e that has been crashed a couple times and re-covered to a scheme I like more. I have since added an interior to it also. I'll have to get a picture!

This is it's first crash:

I don't have much of the second, but I bellyflopped it into the airfield after pulling up late on a knife edge spin. It broke the wings, the gear mount, and wing struts. That crash was the one that I decided to recover it! LOL.

My 4th Pitts is a 42" Dynam foamy. It was the first purchased plane I flew.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Here is my Other Scratch Built Bi Plane, its a Giant size with a 80 inch wing span, That was a pain to build as I have never made a giant size Plane before, so it was a learning experience its a little under powered with 900 Watts, but still Fun and Yep, its a 9mm Flat wing Foamie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoB3gMCHvtk#t=12

My Friend Steve is doing the Maiden Flight and I am One of the people Filming the Maiden Flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWepNtYW8gs

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42680

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6149786.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	178981   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6149800.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	178982  

Old 01-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #9
makaveliks
Sheetmetal guy

That's pretty cool. Looks like a nice slow flyer. I'm not surprised though, at 10-11 lbs its near the weight of the Beast but with about 20" more on the wingspan!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
makaveliks
Sheetmetal guy

Well I have been trying to program this RX for hours now and no luck... I'm trying to use an Android Galaxy S4 Active and Tab 4 and neither will connect. I have tried rotating the cable per instructions and no luck. It works normally as a 6ch RX, but without programming I can not use the AS3X. Should have spent much less on a Spektrum 6ch RX with no stabilization because that's what I ended up with anyways... I figured they recommended it, so might as well give it a shot. Especially since all reviews I have seen say this plane has a lot of wing rock and I am not that great a pilot anyways. LOL
Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by makaveliks View Post
Well I have been trying to program this RX for hours now and no luck... I'm trying to use an Android Galaxy S4 Active and Tab 4 and neither will connect. I have tried rotating the cable per instructions and no luck. It works normally as a 6ch RX, but without programming I can not use the AS3X. Should have spent much less on a Spektrum 6ch RX with no stabilization because that's what I ended up with anyways... I figured they recommended it, so might as well give it a shot. Especially since all reviews I have seen say this plane has a lot of wing rock and I am not that great a pilot anyways. LOL
You should not have to worry about wing rock with a 60" wing span, I had a Ultimate 40 Bi Plane and it did have some wing rock to it, but not to bad.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:11 AM   #12
makaveliks
Sheetmetal guy

I see. A lot of reading I have done has said that if you have wing rock you need more elevator and throttle to get the plane more vertical and you are too close to the stall speed so as the wings rock they are fighting for lift. So if that comes up, that's what I'll do. More elevator and a little more throttle. I haven't really had it with any of my other planes. I don't do too much 3d as I'm just a beginner, so perhaps my not so smooth thumbs keep me out of this narrow window.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:38 AM   #13
makaveliks
Sheetmetal guy

Ah ha! Found pictures of the interior for the 15e! The man and his dash are dollar tree tree foam covered in Ultracote. The interior is a modified interior I found for the Beast. However once I saw it, I'm fairly certain that at least the instrument panel if not more appears to be from the Extra in Microsoft Flight Simulator X. LOL. I never of though of doing that myself, but I certainly recognize it! And of course I glued the canopy back on after this!

Old 04-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #14
makaveliks
Sheetmetal guy

Here it sits on the airfield waiting for winds to calm. They finally calmed down to a light breeze so I gave this it's maiden! It only required on click of elevator trim and 2 clicks aileron trim. I ended up flying it 2 times this day. I flew it about 5 min each flight and the 6S 5000mah batts were each less than half drained!

Went out the next day(yesterday) and set up to fly again and Windfinder was reporting 13mph winds. It felt like more to me, but since I hadn't been out in a while I though maybe I was being a baby. So I took off in between gusts and did about 3 circles with an approach on each and then landed with no problems. The wind had the wings rocking pretty good on approach. In the air it handled it fine.

Then I thought if that's only 13 mph I need to get some practice. I must be really rusty. So I took off again and did the same. Landed no problems, but felt I was pushing my luck and wasn't too comfortable flying in the wind so I packed up and left. The windsocks were straight out. When I got home I checked the wind report for the time frame I was flying and yes it was 13mph... Gusting to 23! So the calm bits I felt here and there was 13mph, but the stronger winds I was flying in were up to 23mph!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying