Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)
Default Big Concorde

Here is one for Nigel Make one this Size

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

thats one large bird!!! at first i thought it was a joke when he powered up and nothing around him was blowing ,he even seemed to stand directly behind it, set it for launch and nothing blowing.not the weeds behind him or his pants...but the actual flight and landing looked and sounded very cool.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Unfortunately until I depart China ... I cannot watch or link to any Youtube vids !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

One question I have ....

At what size would a Concorde have to be so we could actually build a reasonably powered model scale with EDF's ...

Small EDF's are terribly inefficient and also large for their performance, making nacelles over-size etc.

Quorneng is trying with 4 x 40mm's ..... I built with 2 x 50mm's and ended up compromising more than originally intended.

It's one of those models that needs turbine's to stay scale.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #5
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Is it tail heavy or are Concordes supposed to fly in such a way?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
Is it tail heavy or are Concordes supposed to fly in such a way?
Tail heavy does not decide angle of flight, but the pitch sensitivity.

A tail Down attitude is an incidence with speed / lift related problem and can be altered by changing main wing / tail surfaces rigging angles.

Concorde has a near zero AoA in rig as the speeds are such that any small angle is amplified in effect compared to normal subsonic aircraft. It also is one of the main reasons she moves weight around in flight depending on speed.
The design is such that at model speeds she will exhibit a nose up of tail down tendency.

Nigel
Wattflyer Concorde flyer!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

[QUOTE=CHELLIE;942255]Here is one for Nigel Make one this Size

Wow
Don't even want to know what it cost to build that thing!

Agreed, it sure looked a bit tail heavy.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Maybe a little over my head lol. A Concorde has a high angle of attack at low speeds to create lift that would be lacking from the small wing span correct? I have never really read into how they work until now. Even so, the Concorde in the vid does seem to be very sensitive and constantly flying at a high angle attack, not just at low speeds. It looks like it will fall out of the sky at any point to me.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Maybe a little over my head lol.
LOL
Yeah, way over my head also, and a mile over my budget!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Seems hard to find the cg of a plane that is always shifting its balance in relation to speed. Perhaps throw weight in any place and if it stays up there, it's good to go.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Unfortunately until I depart China ... I cannot watch or link to any Youtube vids !

Nigel
Bummer on the Videos, I Would Say this rc plane is about 15 ft long with a W/S of about 8 ft. Judging by the size of the Pilot, the concord did look to be tail heavy and sensitive on the controls.

I would think that a 12 ft wood stick frame concorde covered with 2mm depron would work well with 2- 90mm edf at 6.0kg of total thrust or 6.6 lbs of thrust each or 13.2 lbs of thrust total if the weight of the concorde is keep to around 15 -18 lbs AUW, Just my 2 cents worth

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1750watt.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I Thought this was neet

http://www.dream-rc-airplanes.com/concorde.html

http://www.dream-rc-airplanes.com/concorde2.html

Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Interesting Fact.

WARNING SCIENTIFIC CONTENT : In a twin engine jet plane, it is key to point each engine away from the center line a few degrees. The offset of the two engines cancelled the effect while they are both running. If one motor should stop the thrust in the remaining engine will help fly it in a straight line. Not everyone knows that about twin jets

Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Old 03-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default Its not E Powered but still neet :)

Old 03-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Seems hard to find the cg of a plane that is always shifting its balance in relation to speed.
The only time Concord 'shifted it's balance' was during transition between sub-sonic and supersonic flight. This is due to the shift in aeodynamic centre from 25% chord to 50% chord when you go supersonic.

This isnt an issue at model scale unless you actually plane of breaking the sound barrier.

The only other planes that 'shift balance' that I can think of are hang-gliders that are controlled by body movement.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

Maybe a little over my head lol. A Concorde has a high angle of attack at low speeds to create lift that would be lacking from the small wing span correct?
No, actually Concorde had quite a lot of wing area compared to a conventional airliner.

The reason it has to fly at such high angle when going slow is twofold:
  1. Tailless deltas can't use conventional flaps, so rather than using flaps to increase lift angle of attack has to be increased.
  2. The slope of the lift curve is related to aspect ratio of the wing. High aspect ratio (long and slender) wings have a steep lift slope, so relatively small changes in angle of attack make relatively large changes in lift. Very low aspect ratio wings (like Concorde) have a very 'flat' lift slope, so you need large changes in angle of attack to increase lift. Also stall angle is much higher on low aspect ratio wings which means they can achieve these high angles without stalling, as a conventional plane would if you tried to do the same thing.
here's a graph that illustrates the aspect ratio 'thing':

Taken from this web site: http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/.../aero/lift.htm

and FWI.... Flying 'tail down' IS NOT a sign that the plane is tail heavy. A tail down attitude would usually mean that the plane was flying slowly and/or it was heavy.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
No, actually Concorde had quite a lot of wing area compared to a conventional airliner.

The reason it has to fly at such high angle when going slow is twofold:
  1. Tailless deltas can't use conventional flaps, so rather than using flaps to increase lift angle of attack has to be increased.
  2. The slope of the lift curve is related to aspect ratio of the wing. High aspect ratio (long and slender) wings have a steep lift slope, so relatively small changes in angle of attack make relatively large changes in lift. Very low aspect ratio wings (like Concorde) have a very 'flat' lift slope, so you need large changes in angle of attack to increase lift. Also stall angle is much higher on low aspect ratio wings which means they can achieve these high angles without stalling, as a conventional plane would if you tried to do the same thing.
here's a graph that illustrates the aspect ratio 'thing':

Taken from this web site: http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/.../aero/lift.htm
Plus the wing is thin and does not generate large lift by virtue of thick form., It literally mimics a flat plate as we use !

and FWI.... Flying 'tail down' IS NOT a sign that the plane is tail heavy. A tail down attitude would usually mean that the plane was flying slowly and/or it was heavy.
Or as I mentioned ... a low angle of incidence main wing .... also that Concorde is a Composite Form Delta ... delta's will pitch up and fly much higher than a conventional craft.

Watch my 4S video of twin EDF ... on the landing ... angle is at least 25 - 30 deg's.

If you want to scare the 'pants' of yourself - try a Mirage 2000 or 4000 model with good power ... I had a 61 Glow powered nose mounted prop job ....... the angles of attack she could hold in STEADY flight were frightening ...

Nigel

Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
DEG
AMA 16634

Nigel,

You start thinking about that one, you gonna have to help my fund a BIGGGG monitor....
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #21
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

I expect that if you keep weight down and use 4 of the Dynam/Detrum (low cost http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-70mm-edf-combo.html) 70 mm fans you could do a fairly large Concord with near-scale engine nacelles.

This is based on the stock out of box twin 70mm EDF Dynam Me-262's performance being nothing short of outstanding.
Low cost and light weight EDF units that put out very good thrust and have been very reliable. (over 500 flights in 1 year and still going)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft