Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
dsmmike

Send a message via AIM to dsmmike
Friends: (1)
Default Looking for edf plans

I want to build an electric ducted fan aircraft from dollar tree foam board. are there any plans out there? I want something that can get up there in speed. So whatcha got!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by dsmmike View Post
I want to build an electric ducted fan aircraft from dollar tree foam board. are there any plans out there? I want something that can get up there in speed. So whatcha got!
here you go, some nice EDF Plans on this page, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.parkjets.com/free-plans.html

http://www.parkjets.com/hunter.html

http://www.parkjets.com/CN-Skyray.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
dsmmike

Send a message via AIM to dsmmike

thanks Chellie. Those give me some good ideas. I think im going to do something custom and let my creative juices flow. Kind of want something i can possibly take off and land on water for those days when the fish arent biting/ annual vacation to MN. Plan to do all with electronics from hobby king to keep it cheap.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
hankg

dsmmike,

Go to www.rcpowers.com and look at they're hydro-plane. You may have to modify the fusalage to accomodate an EDF but the thing seems to float and fly.

Regards,

hankg
Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Felklaw

Friends: (0)
Default foam profile edf

Sorry to jump in on your post, but I was also wondering how people place the edf into their profile planes.
I see the plans show it has the hole in the middle, but do they glue the bottom on after they have mounted the fan unit or is it slipped in somehow?
Also, do most people glue the fan unit in place, or just use tight fit to keep it in there but be able to remove it?

I'm considering making a Vampire edf plane (first attempt at foam model) and am just confused by that part.

Thanks.

HZ Firebird Freedom (x2), HZ Mini Super Cub, PZ Vapor, Blade MCx, Syma S026 Chinook
Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
hankg

Felklaw,

That's a good question! I wish I could answer it for you. I've not ventured into the ducted fan arena yet. Maybe CHELLIE can help out. She has a lot experience in this hobby than i do.

Regards,

hankg
Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Felklaw

Oh damn, this forum is is costing me money !!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ustomer=206302

HZ Firebird Freedom (x2), HZ Mini Super Cub, PZ Vapor, Blade MCx, Syma S026 Chinook
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Felklaw View Post
Oh damn, this forum is is costing me money !!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ustomer=206302
Hi Felklaw people have been having some problems with the hobbyking ESC, use the turnigy ESC, they are Much Much better, and last a long time, and dont cost that much more, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...eed_Controller

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...eed_Controller

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Sorry to jump in on your post, but I was also wondering how people place the edf into their profile planes.
I see the plans show it has the hole in the middle, but do they glue the bottom on after they have mounted the fan unit or is it slipped in somehow?
Also, do most people glue the fan unit in place, or just use tight fit to keep it in there but be able to remove it?

I'm considering making a Vampire edf plane (first attempt at foam model) and am just confused by that part.

Thanks.
Hi Felklaw on mounting the EDF, sometimes the fan unit has tabs on it, with holes in them, you can epoxy some 3/8" X 3/8" basswood on the sides of the foam, and screw the edf to the wood, thats makes it nice and strong, hope that helps, Chellie

I am Learning All the time something new

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38890

CHELLIE

Awards Showcase

Friends: (197)
What Did I Learn Doing this Build
OK, what did I learn doing this build, First of all, My motor is much more powerful than i thought I hooked up a wattmeter to it, and a powerful 3 cell lipo, and found out it is Drawing 500+ Watts at a little over 50 AMPS WOW Thats about 3/4 HP if 746 Watts is One HP, OK, I was trying to epoxy a 35 size nitro motor to foam thats about the same thing, It wont hold on for very long OK, I am Learning these Electric motors can be deceiving, in the amount of power they make here is what i did to make it work this time, I epoxied 2 -3/8 x 3/8 basswood motor mounts to the foam, and will attach the EDF to that, they look like 40 size motor mounts anyway, and i will screw the EDF to the wood mounts, I am making the Fuselage longer and a little wider below the wing, so a larger lipo can be used, Take care, Chellie

Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

As you can see, i Glued the edf on the foam, that did not work very well, so i had to use basswood to make the EDF mount stronger. live and learn

My Friend Steve is doing the Maiden flight on this jet for me, I am doing the video

Old 01-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #11
Felklaw

I've updated the wish list....

The motor says a 9A max current.
How well can this be trusted when it comes to the BEC?

Would a 10A BEC with 12A burst be sufficient, or just safer to go a 15A - 18A BEC?

Also trying to learn for future builds. Should it be just greater than the motor or sufficiently larger?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I've updated the wish list....

The motor says a 9A max current.
How well can this be trusted when it comes to the BEC?

Would a 10A BEC with 12A burst be sufficient, or just safer to go a 15A - 18A BEC?

Also trying to learn for future builds. Should it be just greater than the motor or sufficiently larger?
to be very honest, buy the 25 amp ESC, and you will have a ESC that can be used on a lot of motors, the AMP rating on the ESC does not matter if its bigger than what the motor calls for, you want a ESC thats 25% bigger than the motor requirements, so the ESc does not have to work so hard and stays cooler,

what does matter, is that the motor and EDF are matched, so its not drawing to many amps and burns out, also a Wattmeter is very very important to have, it will save your electronics, batt, motor, esc, etc, because you will know how much power you are drawing and wont burn up things, here is a new Turnigy Wattmeter, that I would buy if i did not already have one dang they are selling like hot cakes, at HK

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10080

Old 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
hankg

Beautiful airplane and a great explanation of what you learned during the build. That's why I like this site... you can learn something new every time you type Wattflyer into your search engine.

Regards,

Hankg
Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hankg View Post
Beautiful airplane and a great explanation of what you learned during the build. That's why I like this site... you can learn something new every time you type Wattflyer into your search engine.

Regards,

Hankg
Thank you Hankg the jet flew very well, but it did not like to be stalled, the next similar jet will have the EDF moved more towards the middle, for better CG, and that should help remove the stalling if you fly it to slow, Take Care and have fun, Chellie

Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #15
Mikeylikes

Default Looking for help

I can see this is an OLD thread. Me and my 13 year old daughter are new to the whole RC thing. We want to try and build a simple easy pusher, like the one CHELLIE has made. CHELLIE if there are plans out there for the one you built can we download them? If so where? We have looked at parkjets.com and can find no plans like yours. The one you made with pink and gray stripes. We are trying this as a father and daughter thing. We already fish and hunt together so why not RC airplanes. Any help for an easy pusher for me and her would be nice. We have already ordered our Tx/Rx. Spectrum 6 channels, but we want to start out with 3-4 channel and then grow from there.

Thx
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 AM   #16
hankg

Mike...for some reason, this thread came up on my Email. I haven't built a foamy for two years but your request brought back a good memory for me. Go to Fancyfoam.com and look through his planes until you find the EZFly trainer. Buy the kit and parts from mike and you will have a great flyer for you and your daughter. Make copies of all of the parts and you can buy your own foam and go from there. Have fun!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #17
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

That's pretty cool. But if this your first experience
I would not start there. Get an Apprentice S or Switch or Sensei. First
A high wing trainer with lots of dihedral. Or maybe find a used sim to get some basic training. If you want to go cheap, find a decent used plane ready to fly.

Learn the basic pattern.

If you're going to fly at a park or soccer field, get your AMA card . I think your daughter is free.

My first scratchbuild pusher was about my 4th plane. Don't get me and I'm not trying to burst your bubble. They are fun, cheap to make, and will make you a better pilot.

But to start there ? I think too twitchy. You'll lose orientation
And will be collecting foam and placing it in a plastic bag. You won't know how to trim it.

Chellie is one if the very best scratch builders around and I think she would agree . She may have a DYI Depron or foam board plan for a high wing trainer.

Check flighttest.com also. I think they had some easy to make easy flyers you can build.

Don't want to see you get frustrated and quit on account of not getting a plane to fly without crashing everytime.

Good luck,

Hawk
Old 02-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #18
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Yep... EDF is mostly for cool factor.

On the same airframe at the same weight you need 50% more watts of EDF power than you need using a pusher (or tractor) prop drive system. The EDF is that much less efficient.

That means you either increase weight (and reduce performance) or you give up duration when you go to an EDF.

The advantage of EDF is all in appearance and sound. The same plane with a pusher (or tractor) prop drive can be faster.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:17 AM   #19
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

My buddy just ordered the plans for the Saab Viggen. http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-viggen

Pretty cool foam edf. Will do 80mph but will also practically hover at high alpha. Check out the video from Josh and Josh. But again,not a first plane.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #20
Mikeylikes

Thanks to all who replied. Me and my daughter want our first planes to be a scratch build. I have recieved my Tx and hers is do in today. We both have 6 channels Tx and we do understand that we only want to start out with 3 or 4 channels. We have our recievers and our ESC coming in today. We have 3 9g Digital Servos also coming in also today. We just thought that the EDF being slower would give us a better chance to get accquainted with flying. We are still looking at fancyfoam.com. So thx for the input. We will learn with trial and error i guess.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #21
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Best of luck. Lets us know how it works out. Buy lots of glue! LOL

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 02-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #22
Mikeylikes

LOL Thx Hawk
Old 02-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #23
Mikeylikes

If a plan requiers 2 X 5oz servos and i have 9 g servos is that the same or do i need to convert to grams?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies