Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
RepRapper

Friends: (1)
Default $75.00 Build Contest, The Boze-N-Arrow

A New Airplane is born.

History

Okay so just to get this build thread started. My son and I and some friends have started using Slow Sticks for combat. At the time we believed that it was a cheap airplane and parts that could be purchased almost anywhere.

We started flying and had a blast! It was the most fun I had flying in years. So we decided that if three were fun then more would be better right?

So we showed up one day at the flying field with three slow sticks with 30 ft streamers in tow. Little did we know what we were starting. One of the local club members put our "dog fight" on facebook and all of the sudden we were getting phone calls of when we were going to do it again and could anyone join in? We told them sure its open to anyone who wants too.

We figured that almost anyone who has been in the hobby for any amount of time had at least heard of the Slow Stick.

When my friend went to the local hobby shop after a misshap with his stick. He couldn't find even find one. After going to three local hobby shops he walked away empty handed. It seems there had been a run on the slow sticks and parts and they couldnt keep them in stock and were on back order.
He asked me if I could 3D print the part he needed. I told him sure I could.A couple of hours later we had him back in the air. Pretty soon we had all of the slow stick parts programmed into the the 3D printer and when parts were needed we would print them. Some of the parts had even been improved.

Well one thing led to another and soon we thought why not just build a whole new airplane.

But not only would we build a new airplane but build it in a totally new way. We would 3D print most of the parts and use an arrow shaft as the main fuseloge.

This would mean that all of the slowstick parts would have to be completely re-designed to fit the arrowshaft. While we were at it why not fix some of the Slowsticks shortcomings like the landing gear, the weak motor mounts, no down or side thrust, maybe a steerable tailwheel? And maybe a semetrical wing with ailerons?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

This will be interesting Subscribed

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
RepRapper

Default Designing the Airplane

Okay so the first step was to go to my freecad program and draw up some of the needed pieces. It took about 6 hours and I had most of the parts all drawn up. There were some revisions along the way but in two days I had the parts for an airplane all printed and ready to go.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
RepRapper

Default The Plane is finished

[IMG][/IMG]

So here is a picture of the plane just before its madian flight

And here is another one from a different angle Sorry things are not showing up so well. As you can probably tell I like the color blue. The blue printed parts on a blue car with a blue airplane. That is why it is so hard to see. I will take some more pictures later that will show some more details. I was to excited to fly this airplane for the first time and took the pictures almost as an after thought.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #5
RepRapper

Default Maiden Flight Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igz...e_gdata_player
Just a quick little video of the first flight of th Boze-n-Arrow

The plane was nose heavy and the controls were way to sensative but it flew!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Great Job on the Printed Parts and Build, as Good as I could Have Done Myself Ok Just Kidding If Flies good Too, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #7
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Slow Stick parts and kits are in abundance (quite often) here in So. Calif.........Hobby People, Hobby Town, Pegasus Hobbies, all keep a pretty good inventory of GWS parts and the prices have continued to stay low...but the kits do go out of stock pretty quick.........could be due to the new location of the GWS warehouse/distribution center being located here in calif. that helps with inventory........aerial combat (or tag), as we call it around here, with Slow Sticks, has been around for sometime in this neck of the woods...many of those I have seen and fly with have incorportated the Radical RC landing gear and fittings..........glad to see its caught on in other parts of the south west.

AMA 928214
Old 02-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Awesome application of 3D printing. Very innovative. And she flies !

Nice job !

-Hawk
Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

We are working on building our own wing now.. once that's done, there will be no more gws parts on the whole plane.

As far as combat goes, why pay $10 for a fiber glass rod that splits. an arrow shaft costs $3 and is many times stronger then either the fiberglass or aluminium boom. Parts are stronger and better designed using.abs plastic, which is the exact same material as stock gws or millennium junk.

As a matter of fact, after three flights and two field repairs, I threw my millennium gear in the trash. why in the world would you use four small peices of plastic with two giant screw holes to hold everything together, just on the axle?

I'm still using my first set of our landing gear. bet I have over 1000 touch and goes on them, and haven't done a thing to them. my slow stick is also a bit or a porker. it weighs 30oz rtf weight.

Here is our arrow with another wing on it, trimmed in shooting touch and goes. our throws are maxxed out. more then three times the throw I set my slow stick up with.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
RepRapper

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Slow Stick parts and kits are in abundance (quite often) here in So. Calif.........Hobby People, Hobby Town, Pegasus Hobbies, all keep a pretty good inventory of GWS parts and the prices have continued to stay low...but the kits do go out of stock pretty quick.........could be due to the new location of the GWS warehouse/distribution center being located here in calif. that helps with inventory........aerial combat (or tag), as we call it around here, with Slow Sticks, has been around for sometime in this neck of the woods...many of those I have seen and fly with have incorportated the Radical RC landing gear and fittings..........glad to see its caught on in other parts of the south west.
If Slow Stick Parts were always availible when we needed them then I would not have had much reason to develop the "Boze-n-Arrow". But the fact is GWS parts are expensive, weak, and getting very hard to find.

Now let's look at the Slow Stick itself. Its a good cheap airplane! It is very fast to build.
It is very easy to work on because you can get to everything. It flys so slow that it is pretty durable. Over all its a good beginners airplane. You can get parts if you are lucky your local hobby shop may or may not have them. I know I am the proud owner of 6 slow sticks. Most of them were purchased because I needed a part or two. Say my Slow Stick landing gear gets caught in the grass on landing and noses over. There is a very good chance that the rudder will break.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #11
RepRapper

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post

Let's look at the Slow Stick itself. Its a good cheap airplane! It is very fast to build.
It is very easy to work on because you can get to everything. It flys so slow that it is pretty durable. Over all its a good beginners airplane.

If Slow Stick Parts were always availible when we needed them then I would not have had much reason to develop the "Boze-n-Arrow". But the fact is GWS parts are expensive, weak, and not always in stock. (One GWS distributer told me that is because they have a $750.00 minimum order)

You can get parts if you are lucky your local hobby shop may or may not have them. I know I am the proud owner of 6 slow sticks. Most of them were purchased because I needed a part or two. Say my Slow Stick landing gear gets caught in the grass on landing and noses over. There is a very good chance that the rudder will break.

Most Slow Sticks are modified! Why? Because they need it!

Pizzano has bought a $20.00 pair of landing gear for a $25.00 airplane and the worst part? So have I!

The Boze-N-Arrow is just me trying to come up with something better.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #12
RepRapper

Default Parts

Its really great when you break a part or something and you can run to your local hobby shop and buy or order new parts. Having worked in a local hobby shop always support them when ever you can. I was trying to get some GWS parts a while back and talked to our local GWS dealer and he told me it might be a while before I got the part I needed. It seems that GWS's minimum order is $750.00. I don't think I will ever have to wait for a part again.

The only thing better then living near a hobby shop is owning a 3d printer and having plenty of spare parts on hand. There are enough parts here to build 7 more Boze-N-Arrows.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
RepRapper

Default Forward Battery Box

This is a picture of the Forward Battery box. I goes on the arrow shaft right behind the motor mount.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #14
RepRapper

Default Cost

Okay so here is the breakdown.

1-1/2 Arrows at $3.50 each. $5.25
Wheels Dubro $3.50
Screws, nuts, bolts, and washers for wheels $1.50
Screws, nuts, bolts, and washers for tail $1.50
Plastic for the 3d printer $2.00
Wing Replacement cost, I had one on hand $10.00
Coroplast for the tail $ 4.00
Piano wire for the pushrods $1.00
Servo screws $1.00
Tail wheel $1.00

Total $30.75

I had almost everything on hand, the actual cost for me to build it was
more like $15.00 I only had to buy the arrows, and the wheels and some screws.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #15
RepRapper

Default Low wing mount.

My son has been trying to get me to design a model airplane for a while now. He couldnt understand why it was taking me so long. Instead of just designing a model airplane I have designed a system to build model airplanes with. Kind of like model airplane lego's. The Bose-N-Arrow is designed to be built as a low wing or a high wing, a tail drager, or trike gear. It can accomidate vertually any wing or tail. Just slide the mounts around until they fit your wing or tail. The motor mount can handle most any electric motor with 15 to 20 mm spacing. There is still a lot of work to do as I want to build a wing that has ailerons for it. The wing will be able to mount as a high wing or a low wing and possibly as a bi-plane. Below is the low wing mount drawing.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft