Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Special Interest Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Special Interest Aircraft This is the place to discuss those unusual Electric aircraft. Ornothopters, RC Hang gliders, Parasails, Hydroplanes. Blimps, Airships, Gyro-copters, Hovercrafts, and anything else that I forgot.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)
Default Durafly 'Auto-G' autogyro

I picked up a Durafly Auto-G autogyro yesterday and took it out for a few trimming flights this morning. It went really well.
The trick with these autogyros seems to be to make sure you allow the rotor to get up to full speed before taking to the air. That's easy if there is a breeze to spin the rotor but it means a long gentle take off run if it's calm. Try to get up to speed to quick and it tips over to the left due to increased lift from the advancing blade, but you soon get the hang of it. Hand launched are child's play if you let the rotor get up to full speed first.
In flight handling is quite interesting, like cross between fixed wing and a helicopter, lots of ‘aileron’ to rudder coordination is required which might be a challenge for some fixed wing flyers with a lazy left thumb. The standard motor and prop seems to give more than ample thrust. It climbs very steeply under power, so I might add some downthrust but in general it went great. I even did a few stall turns and loops which were straightforward. It didn't want to know about rolling manoeuvres though.
In a gentle (5mph) breeze it's possible to hold the Auto-G in a hover, it will also show a surprising turn of speed if you open the throttle and hold the nose down with elevator.

Flight time was surprisingly good, seven and a half minutes flying left 3.8v per cell in the battery, so it would do 8 minutes or more without any problem.

All in all highly recommended if you are an intermediate or higher level flyer looking for something 'different', it's a lot of fun.

I'll shoot a video next time out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0567.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	169701
Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

That looks fun. I love the unusual stuff.

i can't make it out in the picture. How is the rotor head controlled? And is there pitch as well as roll controll in the rotor?

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
That looks fun. I love the unusual stuff.

i can't make it out in the picture. How is the rotor head controlled? And is there pitch as well as roll controll in the rotor?

Thanks!
Controls are conventional rudder and elevator plus side to side 'tilt' of the rotor. The tilt is driven by two servos but i assume they use two only because one doesnt have enough torque. Tilt is controlled like aileron with the servos on a y-lead.

Basically the tilt swings the weight of the fuselage from side to side under the rotor like you would in a hang-glider.

It all works very well in level flight though if you pull up close to vertical the tilt stops having any effect, which is to be expected when you think about it.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Thanks for the info. One of these days I'd like to try an autogyro. Too many toys and projects already....
Old 07-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

Yoohoo.Hobbyking has just launched an upgrade kit to power up your blades before take off.
The pre-rotator is incorporated into the new Auto-G 2.My conversion kit is on the way,so Ill comment on it when I fit it to my auto-G1.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rt_System.html
Old 07-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Look forward to hearing about it. How does this autogyro handle the wind?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

Sorry,xmech,I can't tell you,because I have never had a successful flight of more than a few seconds.I fly off a very short runway,and simply couldn't get enough speed on the rotors.Yanking it into the air is a recipe for disaster.Ask me how I know
However,I have scratchbuilt a few gyros over the years,and most handled the wind quite well.The only thing is,being foam,this one is very light.That could affect it's flight in high winds.But a light breeze is in fact desirable,to aid getting the rotor speed up.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Friends: (0)

I got hold of an auto rotator from HK and it seems simple enough until you want to switch it on and off. There is a special two wire servo plug and I am guessing it goes in a remote switch which is not supplied or described. Can anyone help
Old 01-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Birdmanpete View Post
I got hold of an auto rotator from HK and it seems simple enough until you want to switch it on and off. There is a special two wire servo plug and I am guessing it goes in a remote switch which is not supplied or described. Can anyone help
No special components are required, just a standard receiver with five or more channels.

The two wire servo plug is the on/off control for the auto-rotator. You simply connect the plug to the channel on your receiver that you wish to use for auto-rotator activation. The flap or gear channel for instance.

Bear in mind that the auto-rotator is only intended to be activated prior to take off, just to get the rotors up to speed. You shouldnt fly with it on all the time.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

PS.. Just to show that they do fly, and pretty well, here are some videos of my Auto-G in action, including doing rolls (which I think I may have been the first to pull off):

General flying around:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Rolls:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

What a great response. I loved the videos and I have had a set of home made blades half built on my bench for months but have lacked the confidence to finish and fly them. I would like to know where the cofg of the blades lies and I surely would love a dual action head. I have built one but I don't trust my engineering.

Back to the plug which drives the switch mine has yellow and brown wires Should I treat the yellow as information.

Thanks again JetPlaneFlyer.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:56 AM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yes, the yellow wire is the signal, so put it at the same way round as your standard servo plugs.

CoG of the stock blades is 15mm back on a 45mm chord, so that's 1/3rd chord. The stock blades have a moulded plastic leading edge to add weight to the front, but I've seen it done on wood blades either by letting in a piece of piano wire into the leading edge, or making the leading edge from spruce.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #13
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Thanks for that. The other area which interests me is the rigging angle of the blades. Have you heard of any experimentation with more and less angle of attack.

Best wishes, Birdmanpete
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #14
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I've not messed with the pitch angles. Seems to work pretty well as it is so i never felt the need to. It would be interesting to see how having a more free flapping and pivoting hinge on the blades would effect things. It should in theory reduce the tendancy that the Auto-G has to roll right at speed and on take off, but all in all it flies good just as it comes outof the box.

If you wanted to experiement it would be easy enogh to make some different wedges to replace the standard ones.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #15
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

It is some what shameful to admit, but when I started making my own blades (with solder in the LE to achieve a 20% c of g, as in full size) I put the rigging blocks in a safe place and now I cannot find them. LOL. I am going to start with 1.5 degrees negative.

Another question have you ever put a tacho in the system to check head revs. I did, and got what I hope will be a useful number; 1000rpm at lift off. We will see.

Best wishes

Birdmanpete
Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I can easy measure the wedges.. i'll do so and post the dimensions here.

I've never tacho'ed the system. You would really need a helicopter optical head speed tacho to do that, which I dont own.

You will have lot of fun with it, i enjoy flying mine. i actually have two, the original Auto-G and the Auto-G2 with the pre-rotator. The original one flies better due to lower weight and lack of drag from the one way bearing in the pre-rotator, but the pre-rotator does make take off a lot less fuss.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I dug out my notes from elswhere and it turns out i already measured the wedges, they are in the range 3.5 to 4 degrees.

bear in mind that although they give 3.5 - 4 degrees negative to the bottom surface of the airfoil the chord line will only be about 1.5 degree negative.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Hmm !!! That does make sense. So tomorrow I will sort that out.

The point you make about the drag of the mast is very real to me as I have two full size gyros both of which travel regularly on open trailers. The fuel consumption of a car pulling a small gyro on an open trailer is much worse than that of the the same car pulling a two seat sailplane on an open trailer. The next time I commit to taking either of mine to the city (400km's) I am going to fit a temporary, core flute, fairing to the mast. And I think that might be a very interesting experiment to simulate on a model. The Durafly designers clearly never considered the issue. A small sheet of thin celluloid might make a huge difference. I will try that.

Thanks for the encouragement. My Durafly did fly for about forty seconds. I made a very foolish mistake with much too much bank. Since then it has languished in the down but not out part of the shed. Now it is almost ready to go again.

In full size gyros head speed is almost invariably measured using a cycle computer. I recently saw a new one advertised on line for $5.00.

Best wishes.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 AM   #19
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Default I meant to ask....

.... about the cable from the motor to the head. In my case the cable appears to be about 2mm too long and does not "sit straight" (it bows). Should I fiddle with the grub screws in the hope of easing that ?

Also; the nylon motor block is capable of sliding east-west in its mounting holes. Should I remove the slop with spacer washers or is it "intended"?

Best wishes.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #20
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The motor is intended to slide sideways, this helps keep the flexible drive shaft straighter when you tilt the head, so don't shim it. I did slightly adjust the grub screw to remove some of the bow in the shaft, but be careful because you need enough length to cover for the most extreme tilt angles of the head.

When it comes to turning the Auto-G a lot of aileron and rudder co-ordination is required. Once you get the knack there really is no limit on bank angle, as my barrel rolls illustrate
Old 01-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #21
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Default Nearly ready to go.

Good thoughts, thankyou again.

I have made the pitch wedges and fitted the blades.

It is very windy today so flying was not an option. However I took her outside to check the spin up. It was impressive. By the time I had 720rpm indicated, it was blowing backward and trouble was approaching fast so I slowed it down.

The same test held over my head might have been more instructive. I think I might have a fraction too much down thrust but I will have to wait for a better day before I will be sure.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #22
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Default Meanwhile the mast fairing emerges.

I found a piece of celluloid which is about 0.2mm. That seems just a fraction too thick. I am wondering if plain paper (double thickness) and covered with modelling film (ironed on) would be sufficient.

Still very windy here but maybe tomorrow....

Birdmanpete.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PHA_5630fc.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	172918 A plain paper template of the intended fairing

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Special Interest Aircraft