Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
rtfm

Friends: (0)
Default RTFM "Silly Flyer" build thread

Hi,
I'm currently waiting for all sorts of stuff from HK, and from other stores. I watch the days go by, and I'm itching to build something.

So I looked around the workshop and found a sheet of 3mm foam, a bunch of 3mm CF rods (and one 6mm CF tube), a Turnigy Park250 Brushless Outrunner 1680kv, a 10A ESC, a couple of really small servos and a few small RX. Oh yes, and a few 850mAh LiPos

So I put together the following little slow flyer.

Wingspan: 420mm (yes, it's small)

What do you think?

One of the benefits of this little design is that you can lay down your CF rods, balsa tip-pieces, and foam wing all at the same time and simply glue the lot together in one go. I'll be using epoxy, because I have it on hand. But any reasonable glue aught to do the trick.

The tail section aught to be really sturdy because it is bonded to the central 6mm CF tube and to the two 3mm CF trailing rods. The vertical tail/rudder is going to be removable, so that the plane can be stored (and transported) flat.

The CF "bull bar" will protect the prop. This aught to be one hardy little slow flyer.], which you can build in an hour or so.

Rergards,
Duncan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silly Flyer v2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	176838 Built from bits and pieces. The "Silly Flyer" promises to be a fun build, and a great little slow flyer.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
rtfm

There is nothing like actually BUILDING something to inform design decisions.

I thought that a 3mm CF rod would be the ideal peripheral reinforcement for the plane. Not so. It is WAY too stiff. And heavy. I settled instead for a 1mm x 3mm CF strip. It bends really easily, bonds to the foam very well and does the same job.

I also discovered that while 3mm foam is great for the wing, it is too narrow for the profile fuse. I ended up using 10mm blue foam for the fuse. This both looks better, and provides a reasonably sized base to which I can attach the magnets.

I also discovered that the balsa tips are unnecessary.

Finally, I had planned to use a 6mm CF tube for the strongback, but ended up using a 6mm square tube instead. Just easier.

Can't wait to see if it will fly as nice as it looks.

Duncan
Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
rtfm

HI,
Version beta2 of the SillyFlyer is taking shape. This one will get electrics. Just pondering what electrics to use. The naked fuse weighs 16g, so I', mllong for a very small 1s Lipo powered, 5a ESC, nano serfos. Any suggestions? I need to get this lot from either a local supplier, or from HL Aus. I don't want to wait a month for stuff to arrive from overseas...

Construction details:
Wing+h-stab: 2mm Depron with 2mm CF strips around the perimeter
Fuse+rudder: 6mm Depron

Regards,
Duncan

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Silly Flyer 1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	177163 The Silly Flyer has a wingspan of 22 inches.

Name:	Silly Flyer 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	177164 A 3mm carbon fibre strip is bonded to the wing, forming a flexible "bumper" to protect the prop

Name:	Silly Flyer 3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	177165 Covered with coloured packing tape

Name:	Silly Flyer 4.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	177166 The bottom is in contrasting colours

Name:	Silly Flyer 5.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	177167 Total weight of the naked fuse is 16g

Name:	Silly Flyer 6.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	177168 Looking for suggestions re: motor choice...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes