Sorry to hear about the loss of the first one. How is the building coming on the second one? Are you about finished yet? How are the plans different the the first one? I bought mine awhile back, so I have the old plans. Did they change the nose length any and do they still use the lite ply?
I will post some photos soon. The plans this time around are "spot on" as the Brits like to say . What a difference working with the new set of plans!
My only issue so far is one of the trailing edge stock is extra thin and was broken.
I repaired it and didn't want to loose time sending in for a new piece of trailing edge stock. When I put the covering on I'll have to be careful not to break the thin trailing edge.
I am working on the wing now and haven't noticed about the fuse extension.
However, there is a new brushless motor pictured in the new set of plans.
It's always a bummer to lose a plane, especially one that you put your hard work into. And to lose it completely, without even any remains to bring home is the worst of all. I lost my very first build (A tom Hunt Miss Stik Sr.) to a flyaway, on it's maiden no less! but you did the right thing; you went right out and bought a replacement to build!
It looks beautiful so far, I will be watching this build. Subscribed.
OK, I got my "drone licence".
When does the season start and what weapons are allowed?
I love mine, except for that short nose. It's not short for the speed 600 motor, but it is for a brushless motor. I have been thinking of ordering a normal glider fuselage kit and making the nose longer then the stock electric so I don't have to use so much weight in it to get the CG right. I think I can shave off a little weight by building it a bit different then what the plans call for. It is designed for a beginner, and it is a little stronger then I think it needs to be which adds weight. I think I can make it plenty strong enough for me and save a couple more ounces in weight.
Yours is looking great. I enjoyed building mine and it is still going strong. I think it is about the best 2 meter glider on the market in it's class. It may not keep up with one of those $700.00 CF contest gliders, but I'll bet it will give it a good run for the money.
I think about 1.5 to 1.75 is about right for the brushless conversion. It should also give you a little extra room to move the battery around in it. I would be interested in seeing how close you come to a good CG with the 1.5" extension. Do you know how much your motor weighs?
I will build the V tail which is really cool. I do not put in the lighting holes in the tail . I will do the stick fuse.
I also don't use wax paper over the plans but backing from covering rolls, less problems with glue sticking to the wax paper.
I use Ultracoat for the covering as per Don's suggestion. Also, I don't use a Lipo battery for my motor as I had an older Nimh battery . I have heard of a lot of safety issues with these batteries and don't want to make a mistake and have a fire.
I guess one of those combos would work.
I have used LiPos for quite some time and have never had a issue with one. Fires are a thing of the past IF you use you head for something other then to put a hat on. Get a good charger like Cellpro 4S and you will not have a problem charging either.
I think around 1.5 inches would be fine. I had the nose of my Tower Hobbies Vista extended by 1.5 inches and it was about perfect for my motor.
I have the V tail on my Chrysalis too simply because I didn't have a V tail on any of mine yet. They say they fly the same, but I have never flown the standard tail, so I can't say.
Chellie; The Chrysalis does not have a boom tail on the fuselage, it is a built up box that tapers down quite a bit. I guess you could make it a boom tail, but you would have to design your own thing. CF would make it lighter, but then you would have to extend the nose even farther. The nose is pretty short now since it was designed for the old speed 600 boat anchor motors on NiCads. Using a brushless motor like people do now days, you really need to extend the nose, or put more weight in there to make it balance right.
I used MonoKote on mine since that is really part of the structure strength and you are advised not to use that lite stuff since it does not give you enough strength and the wing will warp easier on you. Ultracoat is probably just as good as MonoKote for the strength that it adds. I am sure there are others, I just never used them.
Be very careful when you mount that tail and get it on right the first time, since it is really hard to move once it is on there. I put mine at 0 0 with the wing so the tail was not working against my trim. Good luck with yours.