Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
wheelholder

Friends: (0)
Default enough power?

Built a delta out of coroplast. It is 21 inches long, and 18 inches wide. CG is approx 7" from nose box. I have a park 300 motor for it. Weight is at the top end of the recommended weight according to the rim fire paperwork for a sport flyer.

Have not tried to fly yet as wind has been blowing and time has not been on my side.

Before I destroy the plane, am wondering if the motor has enough power. It has an eflite 3s 1500 mah battery.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Sounds like it should have enough power to fly... but not to fly well. Its rarely fun to have a plane with marginal power.

Then comes the question of just how heavy you really are vs the wing area. If you combine marginal power:weight with high wing loading and you have a real challenge.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

How much does the delta weigh ? coroplast is heavy stuff, a 400 to 450 motor IMHO would be better to use. use a 7x6 prop with the 400 motor below if your AUW is between 12 to 32 oz if its heavier use a 450 motor.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-C-656.htm

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-F-745.htm

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

with Rimfire motors, only use a GP esc with them, Rimfire motors dont tend to like other MFG ESC, so its best to keep the rimfire motor and esc matched with the same MFG.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I have never had issues with Rimfire motors using Castle ESCs.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
I have never had issues with Rimfire motors using Castle ESCs.
some people have had issues with rimfire motors and cc esc, you need to use the lowest timing on the cc esc, something to do with the feedback pulse from the motor to the ESC,

Old 12-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by wheelholder View Post
Built a delta out of coroplast. It is 21 inches long, and 18 inches wide. CG is approx 7" from nose box. I have a park 300 motor for it. Weight is at the top end of the recommended weight according to the rim fire paperwork for a sport flyer.

Have not tried to fly yet as wind has been blowing and time has not been on my side.

Before I destroy the plane, am wondering if the motor has enough power. It has an eflite 3s 1500 mah battery.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
As a very rough estimate, you'd want to run about 150 watts per pound of airplane for good flying performance. So, if your model weighs two pounds, that would require some 300 watts up front.

There are a lot of variables here. Among them is the type of airfoil. Is it symetrical? flat bottom, no airfoil (Flat sheet)?

If you're flying a Piper Cub type of floater, often just 75 to 100 watts of power per pound of airplane will work, assuming proper motor and propeller size.

As an example, the Cub would require a larger diameter, low pitch, slow turning prop. That, in comparison to a very fast model that would require a smaller diameter, higher pitch, and high RPM on the prop. And, both could be running the same watts into the motor.

With your 1500 Mah 3S battery, perhaps a maximum current of 20 amps would be appropriate. So, at 3.5 Volts per cell, your power would be 20 Amps times 3.5 Volts per cell times 3 cells, or 210 watts. At full power for the entire flight, that would give about 4 minutes flying time on a fully charged battery. Reducing power to about 75% can easily double your flying time.

There are a number of good computer programs for this type of issue. Castle Creations has a free one on their website. www.motocalc.com is another good one. It's free for 30 days, then $39.00

Hope this helps.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
wheelholder

Thanks for the replies. I guess it would have helped if I had included the weight and area of the wing.

Overall weight including battery is 395 gr or 14 5/8 oz. I calculated wing area and is 278 sq in. It is also a flat wing. No airfoil.

On the website for the rimfire, it says sport flying realm is 395 gr. And constant output for the motor is 100 watts. With the specs for the motor, it appears to me it will not be a hot rod, but should fly. Just wanted to run it by people with more experience than me.

Attached are a couple of pics.

Thanks again for the help

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	172610

Name:	IMG_1805.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	172611

Old 12-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #9
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

That little Delta should fly fine with that setup. It has no profile not going to be much drag at all. I bet you will find it scoots right along with your setup.
Have fun with it nice looking delta.

By the way here is a great thread on power system's.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18521
Old 12-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the replies. I guess it would have helped if I had included the weight and area of the wing.

Overall weight including battery is 395 gr or 14 5/8 oz. I calculated wing area and is 278 sq in. It is also a flat wing. No airfoil.

On the website for the rimfire, it says sport flying realm is 395 gr. And constant output for the motor is 100 watts. With the specs for the motor, it appears to me it will not be a hot rod, but should fly. Just wanted to run it by people with more experience than me.
Attached are a couple of pics.

Thanks again for the help
Just ran the numbers through www.motocalc.com. Running the Park 300 motor, this motor would only provide a climb rate of 300 feet per minute. OK, but is something rather unspectacular.

Motocalc suggests this model should fly OK with a Rimfire motor shown in the attached printouts. Rate of climb is good at 1000 Feet Per Minute using the Rimfire motor listed. Rimfires don't have a good reputation for reliability in this website. Hacker motors are quite a bit more expensive, and they will work. A Hacker A20-20L is in the same ballpark as the Rimfire motor listed.

https://www.aero-model.com/8_64/Brus...20-Series.html (Yup, they are expensive, but only $5.00 more than the Rimfire)

Interesting, these Park motors, and Hackers are within a few $$$$ of each other.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

Then there are some really low cost China import motors also available.

Take a look at the screen dumps from www.motocalc.com.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coroplast Numbers.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	172614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coroplast Opinion.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	172615  

DennyV
Old 12-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
wheelholder

I guess I gave incorrect info on the motor. it is a rimfire , not park 300. Not sure if that makes any difference. Looked at the screen dump attachment. Looked at my motor and it shows 28-22-1380 on the can. I would guess it produces a bit more thrust than the one you ran through moto-calc. not sure though.

Gramps, ( I am one also) thanks for the compliment. I figured coroplast would be stronger than foam board just in case it hits the ground harder than it should. ( Like that has never happened to me before)

Thanks again for the help. The weather ever clears up and wind dies down, I am going to throw it in the air and see what happens.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I guess I gave incorrect info on the motor. it is a rimfire , not park 300. Not sure if that makes any difference. Looked at the screen dump attachment. Looked at my motor and it shows 28-22-1380 on the can. I would guess it produces a bit more thrust than the one you ran through moto-calc. not sure though.

Gramps, ( I am one also) thanks for the compliment. I figured coroplast would be stronger than foam board just in case it hits the ground harder than it should. ( Like that has never happened to me before)

Thanks again for the help. The weather ever clears up and wind dies down, I am going to throw it in the air and see what happens.
Yup
Just ran the numbers through motocalc on the 28-22-1380 motor. Motocalc suggests a 7X4 electric prop. Results are about 10K RPM, Rate of climb at 380 feet per minute, which should be OK for a little model.

DennyV
Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Default Hold everything !!

What happened to when we could fly a plane on 40 to 60 watts per pound ? with brushed motors.

150 watts is straight up with todays high efficiency stuff.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #14
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

slow stick with nicad weighed in at 18oz and had a whole 80 watts.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 AM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
What happened to when we could fly a plane on 40 to 60 watts per pound ? with brushed motors.

150 watts is straight up with todays high efficiency stuff.
Yup
Nowdays, most guys that fly electric models want a model that has the same power and performance as a glow powered model airplane. That power value also happens to be around 100-150 watts per glow powered model airplane.

DennyV
Old 03-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #16
wheelholder

Finally flew the wing. It is slightly unstable when hand launching, but after building up a bit of speed, it flies pretty well.

It rolls better to the right than the left. I think I am going to reduce the size of the stabilizers. Hope that helps the flight out some.

With the rimfire 300 on it, just seems to need a bit more power. It flies rather sedately.

Just a short update on the wing.

To answer my own question, YES it has enough power.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 AM   #17
sidybee

not to cut in on this ,, but how do you glue and what type of glue do you glue that pasticy stuff with id like to try and build one of them fancy smacy flying thingy me bobs
one day...just for kicks
Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #18
wheelholder

On this wing, I used hot glue for the coroplast. I used epoxy to glue the motor mount that i made out of lite plywood.

Just be careful if you use coroplast. As others have said, it is a bit heavy and will affect the flying characteristics.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Strange ... most models roll better to LEFT because of motor / prop torque aids to the left but opposes rotation to right.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
nuteman

I think I am going to reduce the size of the stabilizers.
Yeah, they look about double the size they need to be. So you'll reduce weight by cutting those down, which will improve wing loading, which will lower stall speed.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:09 AM   #21
wheelholder

Yeah, I just guessed at to what size to make the whole wing. After I cut them down and see how it flies, will post an update. Maybe this weekend I can get back to the field.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings