Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)
Default Some old planes never die!

Way back in 2008 I bought a Wing Dragon 4 with a brushed motor and 9.6V NiMh.
Through a many iterations it is still flying - well at least the fuselage and tail boom are, everything else is different!

It is now a simple 'fun' flyer but a little bit more sophisticated than it might look.
Click image for larger version

Name:	44inchVtail.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	173905
The 44" Depron wing is made up from the outer panels from a 2.1m glider. It has an Eppler 195 wing section.
The primary object of the V tail (also Depron) is to keep the tail plane clear of the rough ground although it also keeps it clear of the direct prop wash to improve the aerodynamic efficiency a touch.
Flown as a 'bank and yank' the single elevator servo is built into the LH tailplane and works both surfaces with a single link rod.

Name:	VtailElev.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	173907
It relies on the sideways flexibility of the elevator horns to maintain the geometry!
The motor (Emax 2812 1500kV - very cheap!) is closely cowled with a hollow spinner, drives a 7x6 and draws 15A giving 178W.

Name:	PushSpin.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	173906
The fuselage houses the radio, 30A ESC and a 1500mAh 3s.
Nothing unusual so far but at 15.25oz all up its thrust exceeds its weight by quite a margin yet it requires no more than 10C from the battery to do it.
Simple, reliable and tough it is great fun to fly with a substantial endurance. Find a decent thermal and those ex glider wings work well too.

My motto - never throw anything away!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Nice looking plane, I've always had an interest in how they fly. How is elevator control?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

The elevator control is no problem.
The only video I have at the moment is an 'on board' with a Key Fob cam.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The camera mounting vibrated a bit but it does give an idea of its performance. For some reason the ESC refused to set the brake so the wind milling prop reduced the glide performance a bit but it still managed a power off loop.
This flight used about 1/2 the batteries capacity.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Frankenstein planes ....

I have never binned a model yet.

My old Solent Saiplanes Ridge Recruit supplied its wings for modification for my Mig 17 ... You read correct. A slope soarer wing was chopped and swept back to provide wing for my Bosak Mig 17.

My Lanyu ME109 provided tail and wing for a part DIY Me109 ...

The list goes on ...

Just because original is one plane - doesn't mean that parts cannot be modified for another. The foam jobs we have now are marvellous for this.

In UK - we had sweet stores (candy in USA) ... that bins of sweets were open and you created your own "Pick & Mix" bag of sweets .. the same can be applied here !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-07-2014, 03:45 AM   #5
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

I have a flying buddy who has, what he calls, his Stickson. It is basically a Slow Stick fuselage with Parkzone Stinson wings and Eflight Mini Pulse tail feathers. It flies pretty nicely too.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Recycling models is my game ... as many know.

I just don't understand why models are binned when so much can be re-used or even put back together again.

Todays foam jobs are easier to put back together and make fly - but harder to get cosmetically good after repairs. Traditional construction may appear harder to repair - but in fact is just a jigsaw puzzle and usually repairs are hardly noticeable - better cosmetically than foam ..

But I'm old school ... maybe that's why ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers