Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
sidybee

Friends: (0)
Default flight times

whats your flight times on 3s batterys and how many do you take when you go flying..
me i have four 2 @ 2200 20c and 1 @2200 25c And 1@2200 40c all 3s.
with three that i took out last time i was prob 30 minutes maybe a little more..... i was looking at some 3s-4000 50c-60c would these give longer flight times. i would like to fly 20 minutes at a time on one battery.
i can take a charger and charge the dead bats while im flying the others but i dont think it will charge fast enough that i always have fresh battery to load up unless i get two more batterys and maybe two chargers..
what do u guys "N" gals do........
Old 03-08-2014, 03:28 AM   #2
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

It all depends on your setup. I have 3S 850 packs I fly on my mini pushers that last 10 minutes. Then I have 1300-2100 3S that I use on my large pushers that only last 5 minutes.

And don't forget, the larger the mAh of the battery, the heavier it will weigh. A lot of times you compromise performance for endurance using a larger mAh pack. And also it could affect your CG, so you have to be careful there.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 03-08-2014, 03:51 AM   #3
sidybee

didnt think about the weight thing. thanks for the reminder .
Old 03-08-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

My slow stick can get 30-40 minutes reliably. same motor and esc battery ect only get 10-20 on my mini ultra stick. it really depends on a lot of things.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

I've built a few Slow Sticks with the stock brushed/geared motor, GWS EP 1047 prop and 7.4v, 1600mah, 30c batteries that flight times averaged 30min........of course it's a very lite plane and most of the time throttle use was 1/2 to 3/4 available....not a speed demon but not a snail either..........

AMA 928214
Old 03-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #6
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

3 minutes to over 2 hours...
EDFs will pull down a pack fast. Motor-gliders can float around a long time if you catch a thermal.

I have a power system that will go 17 min at full throttle on 1800 mah 3S and I have one that will pull 12S 5000 mah down to LVC in under 2 min...

Several planes, several chargers and many batteries = a lot of flying.
It can take a while to build up the stuff for that.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post

I have a power system that will go 17 min at full throttle on 1800 mah 3S and I have one that will pull 12S 5000 mah down to LVC in under 2 min...

That's some 5000 watts, or so. You should ask the wattflyer moderators for an award of the appropriate number of watts. All it takes is a photo of a wattmeter showing your watts performance, or a printout from a Castle Creations or similar ESC's data download.

As for me, my maximum power level has been 3000 Watts on a 12S2P A123 pack, and a 19X12 prop.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Oh, so that's how you get those. Is there still a 1kw award, or is that so yesterday? Like everyone's done it now? I think I still have a photo of my wattmeter pulling over 1kw on my E-Flite Phantom.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

What they said.

Most of my planes fly about 5-10 minutes on a battery. The exceptions are gliders and slow planes with very low wing loading.

If you want long flight times on a Radian glider, find a thermal and keep it up forever. But if you want long flight times on an EDF jet, you're more or less out of luck. Your longest flights will come from slow, light, efficient planes.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
That's some 5000 watts, or so. You should ask the wattflyer moderators for an award of the appropriate number of watts. All it takes is a photo of a wattmeter showing your watts performance, or a printout from a Castle Creations or similar ESC's data download.

As for me, my maximum power level has been 3000 Watts on a 12S2P A123 pack, and a 19X12 prop.
It burned up my wattmeter...
Old 03-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Wow That's about 4 HP ! You flying a garden tractor? LOL
Old 03-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Wow That's about 4 HP ! You flying a garden tractor? LOL

Nope, it's a lot more. 5000Watts is 6.7 Hp (746Watts = 1Hp)

My big heli touches 6000Watts

As for flight times, as obvious by now, it all depends on the type of plane you are flying. As a very general rule most general all round sports/aerobatic type models will give about 10 minutes duration. EDF, 3D aerobatic models and racers might be closer to 5 minutes. Slow flyers maybe 15 to 20 minutes, sail-planes up to an hour or even more in some cases.

You cant greatly extend the duration of a given type of model purely by sticking bigger batteries in because it will become overweight and will no longer fly like it's supposed to.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Stand corrected. I was thinking 3000. Holy cow is all I can say. I have a few +1000 watters but this would have Tesla rolling his eyes. LOL
Old 03-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
fhhuber
Super Contributor

5000 watts is now easy to hit. There are people pushing the same EDFs I have to 18S and above 6500 watts. Thats using the OEM Castle 12S-100 amp rated ESC. Upgrade the ESC and the motor can take more.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
sidybee

so im in the ball park with my planes 5 - 10 minute flight times.
ok so i need more batterys and one more charger.
man this is getting $$$$$$ . but considering the fuel and other stuff for gas rig.
its not too bad. ok thank you im sure ill have more questions. this electric stuff is new to me so im on trial and error, or is that trial and fry things

Thanks all
Old 03-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5000 watts is now easy to hit. There are people pushing the same EDFs I have to 18S and above 6500 watts. Thats using the OEM Castle 12S-100 amp rated ESC. Upgrade the ESC and the motor can take more.
6000W on a 100A ESC

That's pushing it pretty hard, it must be pulling about 130-140Amps out of a 100A ESC.

I'm just waiting for my 160A ESC to arrive, then I'll go up a size on the pinion on my heli, which should make some spectacular numbers possible!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

Sid,your original question is how we go to the field with how many batteries. in my case i take alot.....heres why.

in the car i always take 4 planes[sometimes five] they use different packs. example of a days flying: the superfly delta always goes and is my first and second flight.it's epp and flys awesome on a 3cell 1000mah pack for around 5mins of radical flying. thus my fingers are warmed up to the sticks with no risk of loosing the following planes.i take 5 packs to fly.

next up will be any one of several choices that use the 3cell 2200 mah 25c zippies. like the 260 extra and my edf park jets,or the nightflyer. 5packs and 5+min flight at high throttle use.[10 batteries at this point]

i fly the eflite 540t on 4cell 4000mah 40c and have 5 of those to use as single flight batts and get 10+ minute flights.

lastly i have larger birds which only one goes to the field any given day,these are the packes used in series planes to power with 2 batteries of equal mah and c rating. this is where the battery box i carry to the field gets heavy

Sig hog bipe uses 2 3cell 4000mah 40c run in series and i bring 6 packs to get 3 10+min flights. or the extra300s greatplanes i built and runs on 7cell,so i charge up 4 of each 3cell/4cell 4000mah 40c to get 4 flights of 10+mins each.

i spend the whole day flying on a saturday from 10am to 4pm hanging out with a great bunch of pilots. and after church on sundays. i use all packs to what is very close to storage level or slightly less to be charged to storage level,and discharge whats not used if i don't plan on flying the following weekend and storage charge the whole lot when not in use. thus a good charger with multiple pack abilities is a must.

the only batteries that stay charge 24/7 from spring to fall are the 1000mah batts for the superfly as it's my go to plane on evening weekdays to go to the local ball parks.

i built this charger box to cut down how many batteries i carry ,but haven't bought a generator to use it at the field. it sits by my chair and i watch tv or type while charging......if a pack were to start smoking it'll get tossed outside via the front door or through the window.

i reccomend you don't go my route with so many packs and get a good charger to use at the field if your planning on using the same size batteries all the time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 318.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	173938   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 325.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	173939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 339.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	173940  

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I think the best solution (lots of batteries vs. field charging) very much depends on your circumstances. First what sort of batteries you use as it gets expensive to buy lots of large batteries, but probably more so the facilities you have available at your flying site.

If you are lucky enough to have a club flying site that has a power supply (generator, battery bank, cabled in power etc.) then it's pretty much a no-brainer. Field charging is the obvious way to go.

If you don't have on site power then things get more biased toward the 'lots of batteries' option. To field charge you either have to hump around big and ridiculously heavy 'deep cycle' lead acid batteries or invest in a big heavy petrol generator and lug that around.
For small batteries you can charge of your car battery but do that with bigger batteries and you are walking home. Also many flying sites dont have facility to get your car up close to the site, making use of the car battery impractical.

You just need to weigh up your own personal circumstances.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #19
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Yeah, I was working with a fellow club member that had a twin EDF jet that was pulling 175 Amps on each of two 6S 6000 Mah Lipos. That was over 7000 Watts. Didn't document it though. Dang it.

DennyV
Old 03-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
Sid,your original question is how we go to the field with how many batteries. in my case i take alot.....heres why.

in the car i always take 4 planes[sometimes five] they use different packs. example of a days flying: the superfly delta always goes and is my first and second flight.it's epp and flys awesome on a 3cell 1000mah pack for around 5mins of radical flying. thus my fingers are warmed up to the sticks with no risk of loosing the following planes.i take 5 packs to fly.

next up will be any one of several choices that use the 3cell 2200 mah 25c zippies. like the 260 extra and my edf park jets,or the nightflyer. 5packs and 5+min flight at high throttle use.[10 batteries at this point]

i fly the eflite 540t on 4cell 4000mah 40c and have 5 of those to use as single flight batts and get 10+ minute flights.

lastly i have larger birds which only one goes to the field any given day,these are the packes used in series planes to power with 2 batteries of equal mah and c rating. this is where the battery box i carry to the field gets heavy

Sig hog bipe uses 2 3cell 4000mah 40c run in series and i bring 6 packs to get 3 10+min flights. or the extra300s greatplanes i built and runs on 7cell,so i charge up 4 of each 3cell/4cell 4000mah 40c to get 4 flights of 10+mins each.

i spend the whole day flying on a saturday from 10am to 4pm hanging out with a great bunch of pilots. and after church on sundays. i use all packs to what is very close to storage level or slightly less to be charged to storage level,and discharge whats not used if i don't plan on flying the following weekend and storage charge the whole lot when not in use. thus a good charger with multiple pack abilities is a must.

the only batteries that stay charge 24/7 from spring to fall are the 1000mah batts for the superfly as it's my go to plane on evening weekdays to go to the local ball parks.

i built this charger box to cut down how many batteries i carry ,but haven't bought a generator to use it at the field. it sits by my chair and i watch tv or type while charging......if a pack were to start smoking it'll get tossed outside via the front door or through the window.

i reccomend you don't go my route with so many packs and get a good charger to use at the field if your planning on using the same size batteries all the time.
Holy cow, that is a bunch of batteries. Makes me appreciate my over weight, over sized, undervoltaged A123 batteries even more. I go the the field with one or two models, with the A123 battery packs built into the model. Then, recharge them in 15 minutes. Those A123 cells can take that for many years.

Problem is, with the giant scale models, my two planes with the 12S2P A123 packs can't be recharged with a lead acid battery. That kills them. I've gone to a home built gasoline engine/automotive alternator for a field 80 Amp power supply.
Harbor Freight Gasoline/Alternator Setup
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66066,

DennyV
Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #21
vonveska

View vonveska's Gallery9

I fly electric gliders, 2.2 - 2.6 m wingspan, using 2200 mAh, 25C batteries. Average motor time is 3 min, giving me about 8 climbs to 100 - 150 m. In calm conditions with minimum lift average flight time is 35 - 40 min. With lift - in depends how tired I get looking up. So in one session I use 3 - 4 batteries before my neck starts killing me.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #22
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I've done a 2 hour flight on a Gentle Lady from a short "High-Start". Had to land because the TX was running out of power. Catch a good thermal and you can fly a long time.

I also used to just pull the props off of glow models and take them to the slope soaring sites. Sometimes we had enough lift to fly a Sig Kougar that way.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 AM   #23
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I've done a 2 hour flight on a Gentle Lady from a short "High-Start". Had to land because the TX was running out of power. Catch a good thermal and you can fly a long time.

I also used to just pull the props off of glow models and take them to the slope soaring sites. Sometimes we had enough lift to fly a Sig Kougar that way.
Back in the mid 1980's I flew several 10 foot electrified sailplanes. Got a whole bunch of two hour flights with them. My transmitter was modified with sub C nicad batteries to allow flights that long.

DennyV
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #24
sidybee

tobydogs thats a lot of batterys WOW. no thank you im just thinking of about 4 or 5 more not a hundred more wow man u are very serious about your flying....
i dont fly all day just would like about an hr or two after that im ready to go home .
Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #25
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

yeah..i'm pretty addicted to the hobby as i never had such a hobby before. 21 years as a union carpenter company man working mega overtime to pay the bills for a family of 3 kids and beautiful wife, and now retired working Monday through Friday at vocational training physically/mentally disadvantaged adults. this leaves me 2 days a week to enjoy flying.and some evening at the local schools when kids aren't using them for sports.

i use all those batteries in the front rows of my cabinet. theres a bunch in the background that are older or wrong size for past planes.i plan on building a large foam flying wing using 6cell 20c 4000mah packs i used to use before internal resistance caused them to activated lvc on my larger planes. i now use only 4000mah 40c packs in series and am taking much better care of them then those packs of the past.

but if you do go larger planes it's a good idea to use 2 packs in series to achieve 5cell[3 and 2cell],6cell[2 3cell packs,and 7cell which is as high as i go and only have 2 planes i fly on 7cell. the greatplanes 300s and greatplanes rv4-40.

i fly the hog bipe on 6cell,and use the 4cell packs in the arf 540t. this way i am always using all these packs often and they don't just sit in storage.

again,without a good charger and being able to charge 6 batteries at a time in 30 to 50mins depending on how long i flew them, i wouldn't be taking 5 planes each day and staying the whole day relaxing at the Field.

i don't always fly every pack that goes with me charged to the field or i would be clocking 2hr+ air time on those days. my Field is crowed on weekends so i tend to watch and wait for the best flight times.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions